Migration to Tx.

  • vrgfdonna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2003
      Rayedene,
      Didn't it have to do with land being almost given away in certain places?
      My GRAHAMS managed to stay in Jackson Co. 'til the early 1900s, but they
      wound up in Tx. also. For some unknown reason they went to the panhandle of
      Tx.
      Velma

    • deeno
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2003
        Velma,

        I am not too sure as to why they moved to that area of TX. I agree, it must
        have been for the land being almost given away. There were many problems
        with the Indian raids, from what I have read. So why else would they have
        wanted to be there than the land being cheap.

        But, I also believe it had something to do with the family migrations. My
        belief is that there were earlier ones that left Jackson Co and came to that
        part of TX. The nephews, cousins, etc followed in the later years. I just
        wish I could connect to some of those earlier ones.......

        The panhandle is not too far from Palo Pinto Co. Mineral Wells is the major
        city there, but Wichita Falls and Amarillo are not too far to the north, we
        are looking at the same area of TX.

        Rayedene

        > Didn't it have to do with land being almost given away in certain places?
        > My GRAHAMS managed to stay in Jackson Co. 'til the early 1900s, but they
        > wound up in Tx. also. For some unknown reason they went to the panhandle
        of
        > Tx.
        > Velma

      • Charles Edwin Austin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2003
          If the migration you speak of was after the Civil War note that times were
          very bad in AL for much of the rest of the 1800s. I understand that perhaps
          30% of AL's population left from 1866-1900, most to Texas.

          Yes, land was $0.50 to $1.00 per acre around Ft Worth, and perhaps the same,
          or less farther west. In addition, we had a severe drought ca 1870-1880 in
          the TennAlaGa region.

          Charles Austin
          TennAlaGa
          :
[...]
          : >
          : >
          : > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          : >
          : >
          : >
          : >
          : > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          : >
          : >
          : >
          :
          :
          :
          :
          :
          :
          :
        • Earl T. Reed
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 15, 2003
            All,
            Having read Michner's book, TEXAS, I can perhaps offer a theory. In the
            last half of the 1800's on up to the present, cotton has been a primary crop
            in Jackson County. In the lat 1800's, before the inexpensive fertilizer
            made possible by TVA, the soil began to wear out especially for cotton. The
            farmers followed the fertile areas and many wound up in the panhandle of
            Texas and even in West Texas where the aquafers would support cotton
            farming.

            Earl Reed
            Dayton, TN

            > I am not too sure as to why they moved to that area of TX. I agree, it
            must
            > have been for the land being almost given away. There were many problems
            > with the Indian raids, from what I have read. So why else would they have
            > wanted to be there than the land being cheap.
            >
            > But, I also believe it had something to do with the family migrations. My
            > belief is that there were earlier ones that left Jackson Co and came to
            that
            > part of TX. The nephews, cousins, etc followed in the later years. I
            just
            > wish I could connect to some of those earlier ones.......
            >
            > The panhandle is not too far from Palo Pinto Co. Mineral Wells is the
            major
            > city there, but Wichita Falls and Amarillo are not too far to the north,
            we
            > are looking at the same area of TX.
            >
            > Rayedene

            AntiVirus]

            ---
            [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Integrity Online using Declude AntiVirus]