Cumberland tunnel

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 1999
      A little known fact about the railroad that links Nashviile to Stevenson,
      Alabama is that for the railroad to be completed, a half mile long tunnel
      was dug under Cumberland mountain from Cowan, Tn to Sherwood, Tn. The
      railroad then travels through the valley by Crow creek to Stevenson. The
      tunnel was completed in 1862 and allowed easy rail access to a staging area
      in Jackson County for the union to prepare for battles around Chattanooga
      and to supply Sherman for his march to the sea. But even with the tunnel,
      pusher engines are needed to get trains up the steep grade to the tunnel.

      Rebels tried without success to block the tunnel by thowing rocks and
      timbers down onto the tracks in the tunnel through air shafts that opened
      above.

      The tunnel is still in use after almost 140 years of use. At the time of the
      tunnels completion, it was the longest tunnel in the world.

      There is a railroad museum in Cowan that tells the story of the tunnel.
    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 1999
        Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Cumberland tunnel

        Make a correction in my last post. The tunnel was started in 1849 and
        finished in1854.
      • Raymond A. Shirley, Sr.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 1999
          Richard Matthews wrote:

          > From: "Richard Matthews" <prm@...>
          >
          > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Cumberland tunnel
          >
          > Make a correction in my last post. The tunnel was started in 1849 and
          > finished in1854.

          > Tired of empty chat rooms and out of date bulletin boards?
          > http://www.ONElist.com
          > ONElist: Making the Internet Intimate

          Elizabeth Shirley states in her application for reimbursement to the
          Southern Claims Commission that her husband, Houston Shirley, worked to
          help maintain that section of railroad between state line and Stevenson
          for the Federals during the War Between the States. I have copies of
          the Southern Claims Commission applications of Jordan Peacock, Elizabeth
          Shirley, and James M. Cloud taken from National Archives records. I
          would be glad to post abstracts of those claims, except I still haven't
          found a way to get access to the posting web page. I'll keep trying.
          Ray Shirley
        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 1999
            At 12:57 PM 5/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
            >From: "Raymond A. Shirley, Sr." <rshirley@...>
            >

            >Elizabeth Shirley states in her application for reimbursement to the
            >Southern Claims Commission that her husband, Houston Shirley, worked to
            >help maintain that section of railroad between state line and Stevenson
            >for the Federals during the War Between the States. I have copies of
            >the Southern Claims Commission applications of Jordan Peacock, Elizabeth
            >Shirley, and James M. Cloud taken from National Archives records. I
            >would be glad to post abstracts of those claims, except I still haven't
            >found a way to get access to the posting web page. I'll keep trying.
            >Ray Shirley

            Ray, if can't work it out so you can upload directly, I will be glad to
            upload documents for you. Just email them to me directly.

            Richard