Cave

  • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2002
      Thank You so much for the information on the caves in Jackson County.
      The pictures were great.
      Thank you so much.
      What a blessing.

      In God's Service
      Patricia Mills
      cherokeeindian@...

    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2002
        Here is a site done by a grandson of the Jacobs of Scottsboro that contains
        interesting information

        http://www.sandiego.edu/~agenaro/facts.html

        Richard
      • DrKirby25@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2002
          I remember the Dedication of the Comer Bridge. We walked to the center of the
          bridge before cars were turned loose on it.

          Jim M Kirby I also knew Mrs Martin at the House of Happiness . When my
          younger brother was born Mrs Martin took me there and kept me about a month.
          I never ever knew why. We were not destitute.
          Jim M Kirby

        • vrgfdonna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2002
            Thank you! Very interesting! Keep it coming!

          • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 21, 2002
              T o answer some questions about some of the history of the Salt Peter Cave,
              This is from family history, I do not have any legal paper work to back this
              up
              "I was asked the question." This is my answer.

              My G.G.Grandfather Joseph P. Rodgers was in the civil war confederate war, He
              worked in the Salt Peter Cave in Jackson County. He supervised a group of
              slaves in the mining of salt Peter, which was a vital element in the
              manufracting of gun powder for ammunition.
              Toward the end of the war Rodgers was captured at the cave by Union troops
              under the command of General O.M.Mitchell and taken on foot to a stockade in
              Nashville, Tennessee. O.M.Mitchell was a violent man.
              Later General O.M.Mitchelll was removed from command, by General Buell.

              IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS I WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO SHARE IT WITH
              ME.

              I am very interested in this part of his life. I find my Joseph P. Rodgers to
              be an interesting man in his time. I would love to know more about this.

              Do any of you have any family members who served at this Cave during this
              time frame? If so would you please e-mail me about this.

              In God's Service
              Patricia Mills
              cherokeeindian@...

            • Richard Matthews
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 21, 2002
                Making salt peter was not a pleasant job. "Smelly" would not be a strong
                enough description. Following is a technical description of the process

                SALTPETER MAKING
                Nitre, potassium nitrate KNO3, more commonly known as saltpetre, is formed
                in warm climates by bacterial action during the decomposition of excreta and
                vegetable refuse. The contact between putrefying material, alkaline soil,
                plant ashes, air and moisture allows 'nitrification' - that is the
                conversion of nitrogen compounds from animal and plant decay into nitrates
                which penetrate the soil. Dissolved in rainwater, the deposits evaporate on
                the surface to form crude saltpetre, as a white flour like powder. This must
                be washed to remove earth and impurities; then boiled and evaporated to
                refine it.

                Why was the cave a good source for salt peter? Millions of bats provide the
                excreta element, the limestone cave provides the alkaline soil, and the
                moist air of the cave did the rest. The workers would have been washing and
                boiling the debris from the cave floor and producing the pure white
                saltpeter. The saltpeter made gun powder burn faster, making it more
                explosive and valuable to the warring armies.

                Not only was Salt Peter Cave used for mining, but some sources say Jackson
                County Court was held in the cave prior to the building of a proper
                courthouse.

                Richard

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 21, 2002
                  Do any of you have family who served during this time at Salt Peter Cave?
                  If so would you share the history with me.
                  Do you know anything about the confederates that served at this location
                  any
                  history at all? What unit who anything? ANY OLD PICTURES?

                  In God's Service
                  Patricia Mills
                  cherokeeindian@...

                • Peggy Powell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 28, 2002
                    Richard,
                    Thanks. I loved reading about things like this. I live
                    about 5 miles from the cave. I love hearing stories of
                    Jackson County. Knowing my ggrandfathers once walk in
                    that time frame. Thanks so much. Peggy

                    ptpowell@...
                    I researching Powell, Edwards, Howard,Gray,
                    Craze,Holloway,Shrader
                    Gentle,Houk,Tipton,Rousseau,
                    Burgess, Bates, Boyd, Austin, Parton,
                    Shoemake, Hillis

                    --- Richard Matthews <prm@...> wrote:

                    > Making salt peter was not a pleasant job. "Smelly"
                    > would not be a strong
                    > enough description. Following is a technical
                    > description of the process
                    >

                    > SALTPETER MAKING
                    > Nitre, potassium nitrate KNO3, more commonly known
                    > as saltpetre, is formed
                    > in warm climates by bacterial action during the
                    > decomposition of excreta and
                    > vegetable refuse. The contact between putrefying
                    > material, alkaline soil,
                    > plant ashes, air and moisture allows 'nitrification'
                    > - that is the
                    > conversion of nitrogen compounds from animal and
                    > plant decay into nitrates
                    > which penetrate the soil. Dissolved in rainwater,
                    > the deposits evaporate on
                    > the surface to form crude saltpetre, as a white
                    > flour like powder. This must
                    > be washed to remove earth and impurities; then
                    > boiled and evaporated to
                    > refine it.
                    >
                    > Why was the cave a good source for salt peter?
                    > Millions of bats provide the
                    > excreta element, the limestone cave provides the
                    > alkaline soil, and the
                    > moist air of the cave did the rest. The workers
                    > would have been washing and
                    > boiling the debris from the cave floor and producing
                    > the pure white
                    > saltpeter. The saltpeter made gun powder burn
                    > faster, making it more
                    > explosive and valuable to the warring armies.
                    >
                    > Not only was Salt Peter Cave used for mining, but
                    > some sources say Jackson
                    > County Court was held in the cave prior to the
                    > building of a proper
                    > courthouse.
                    >
                    > Richard

                    > From: cherokeeindian77@...
                    > [mailto:cherokeeindian77@...]
                    >

                    > T o answer some questions about some of the history
                    > of the Salt Peter Cave,
                    > This is from family history, I do not have any legal
                    > paper work to back this
                    > up
                    > "I was asked the question." This is my answer.
                    >
                    > My G.G.Grandfather Joseph P. Rodgers was in the
                    > civil war confederate war,
                    > He
                    > worked in the Salt Peter Cave in Jackson County. He
                    > supervised a group of
                    > slaves in the mining of salt Peter, which was a
                    > vital element in the
                    > manufracting of gun powder for ammunition.

                    =====

                    Researching: Powell,Edwards,Craze,Holloway,Shrader,Gray,Cameron,Howard,Burgess,Bates,

                    Rousseau,Boyd,Ables,Parton,Gentle,Houk, Shoemaker,Austin, Hillis,Tipton.

                    Would love any HELP!

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • Charles Edwin Austin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 29, 2002
                      Peggy,
                      I notice some familiar names in your surname list. Namely; Craze, Holloway,
                      SHRADER, and AUSTIN. My cousin is a Shrader descendant- Bill Emmett;
                      emmett@... and I am obviously an Austin descendant. My Jackson
                      Co, AL Austins are descendants of John Austin as follows. If these are the
                      ones you are researching, please let me know.
                      Descendants of John H Austin

                      Generation No. 1

                      1. JOHN H1 AUSTIN (HEZEKIAHA, WILLIAMB, JOHNC, JOHND, UNKNOWNE)1 was born
                      abt 1813 in Mount Airy, Bledsoe County, Tennessee, and died Bef. 1910 in
                      Jackson County, Alabama. He married LUCINDA CAMERON, daughter of DANIEL
                      CAMERON. She was born abt 1815 in McMahan Cove, Jackson County, Alabama, and
                      died Bef. 1920 in McMahan Cove, Jackson County, Alabama.

                      More About JOHN H AUSTIN:

                      Burial: McMahan Cove, Austin Cameron Ceretery, Jackson County, Alabama

                      Fact 8: Jul 1998, Joanne Austin Condra

                      Source 1: 1978, Dora Gay Austin Reynolds

                      Source 2: 1976, Dymple Austin Rudder

                      Source 3: 1976, Elizabeth Irene Austin House

                      Source 4: 1976, Harold Ray Blevins

                      Source 5: Bet. 1976 - 1997, Census Records

                      Source 6: Jul 1998, Alice Pauline Sanders Juengst

                      Source 7: Jul 1998, Jimmy Lou Rudder Williams

                      More About LUCINDA CAMERON:

                      Burial: McMahan Cove, Austin Cameron Ceretery, Jackson County, Alabama

                      Children of JOHN AUSTIN and LUCINDA CAMERON are:

                      2. i. DANIEL CAMERON2 AUSTIN, b. 1839, McMahan's Cove, Jackson County,
                      Alabama; d. 1919, Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama.

                      ii. STEPHEN BLEVINS AUSTIN, b. 15 Oct 1841, Jackson County, Alabama; d.
                      DeKalb County, Alabama2; m. HETTIE ANN WILKINSON3, abt 1875, Dade County,
                      Georgia4; b. 1849, Sherwood, Tennessee; d. 1916, DeKalb County, Alabama5.

                      Notes for STEPHEN BLEVINS AUSTIN:

                      Uncle Bee lived in Trenton, Georgia in a very nice colonial home. On an
                      occasion Uncle Bee took care of a vagrant that happened to be in Trenton. It
                      was related that the man was near death when Uncle Bee found him. The man
                      was taken to Uncle Bee's home, and nursed back to health after around six
                      weeks. As the man became able to perform chores, Uncle Bee felt that it
                      would be fair for him to repay his room, board, and health care by doing
                      work around the house. The man did these chores until his health was fully
                      restored, then, as he was ready to leave, demanded that Uncle Bee pay him
                      for his labor. Uncle Bee flatly denied any payment stating that he had
                      restored the man back to health and given him room and board.

                      The man sued Uncle Bee and since Uncle Bee felt he owed the man nothing, did
                      not attend the hearing. A default judgement was entered against Uncle Bee.
                      Still, being a man of strict principals, Uncle Bee refused to pay. As a
                      result, Uncle Bee's home was attached and sold at auction. This story has
                      not been verified with Dade County records, so it is just that, a story of
                      how Uncle Bee lost his fine home in Trenton, Georgia.

                      More About STEPHEN BLEVINS AUSTIN:

                      Burial: Cagle Cemetery, Deerhead Cove, DeKalb County, Alabama

                      More About HETTIE ANN WILKINSON:

                      Burial: Cagle Cemetery, Deerhead Cove, DeKalb County, Alabama

                      Generation No. 2

                      2. DANIEL CAMERON2 AUSTIN (JOHN H1, HEZEKIAHA, WILLIAMB, JOHNC, JOHND,
                      UNKNOWNE)6 was born 1839 in McMahan's Cove, Jackson County, Alabama, and
                      died 1919 in Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama. He married (1) SARAH JENNIE
                      CARLOCK6 02 Mar 1870 in Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama6,7. She was born
                      abt 1845, and died 02 Apr 1886 in Jackson County, Alabama. He married (2)
                      KATHERINE ABRILLA HOUSE 16 Dec 1888 in Jackson County, Alabama7. She was
                      born 08 Mar 1855, and died 12 Jul 1956 in Jackson County, Alabama.

                      More About DANIEL CAMERON AUSTIN:

                      Source 1: 1978, Gay Austin Reynolds

                      Source 2: 1979, Dymple Austin Rudder

                      Source 3: 1998, Jimmy Lou Rudder Williams

                      Notes for KATHERINE ABRILLA HOUSE:

                      The original spelling of the name was "Howse".

                      More About KATHERINE ABRILLA HOUSE:

                      Source: Jul 1998, Jimmie Lou Rudder Williams

                      Children of DANIEL AUSTIN and SARAH CARLOCK are:

                      i. ALICE LUCILLE3 AUSTIN8, b. 27 Jan 1871, Stevenson, Jackson County,
                      Alabama; d. 19 Jan 1948, Jackson County, Alabama; m. THOMAS VICTOR STEWART8,
                      Bef. 1890, Jackson County, Alabama; b. 17 Apr 1865; d. 29 Sep 1927, Jackson
                      County, Alabama.

                      More About ALICE LUCILLE AUSTIN:

                      Burial: Baptist/Tally Cemetery, Hollywood, Jackson County, Alabama

                      More About THOMAS VICTOR STEWART:

                      Burial: Baptist/Tally Cemetery, Hollywood, Jackson County, Alabama

                      ii. STEPHEN BLEVINS AUSTIN9, b. 22 Mar 1873, Jackson County, Alabama; d.
                      Jackson County, Alabama; m. ELLA OWENS; b. abt 1875, Jackson County,
                      Alabama; d. Jackson County, Alabama.

                      iii. MOLLIE AUSTIN10, b. 20 Dec 1874, Jackson County, Alabama; m. ROBERT
                      HENRY ANDERSON10; b. abt 1870.

                      iv. JEANE HETTIE AUSTIN11, b. 07 Jan 1876, McMahan Cove, Jackson County,
                      Alabama; d. 21 Jun 1964, Jackson, Duval County, Florida; m. BISHOP MARVIN
                      RIDLEY, 08 Sep 1901, McMahan Cove, Jackson County, Alabama; b. 18 Oct 1879,
                      Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama; d. 22 Feb 1966, Orlando, Orange County,
                      Florida.

                      v. JOHNIE HENRY AUSTIN11, b. 17 Jan 1879, Jackson County, Alabama; m. JAMES
                      CRABTREE; b. abt 1875.

                      More About JOHNIE HENRY AUSTIN:

                      Source: Jul 1998, Jimmy Lou Rudder Williams

                      vi. JAMES DANIEL AUSTIN12, b. 26 Oct 1881, Stevenson, Jackson County,
                      Alabama; d. Aug 1958, Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama; m. VERA LEE
                      WALKER12, abt 1900, Jackson County, Alabama; b. 03 Dec 1886, Jackson County,
                      Alabama; d. Aug 1968, Bridgeport, Jackson County, Alabama.

                      More About JAMES DANIEL AUSTIN:

                      Source: Jul 1998, Joanne Austin Condra

                      vii. ELLEN CAMERON AUSTIN, b. 15 Feb 1883, Jackson County, Alabama; d. 27
                      Sep 1974, Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama; m. CAM MATTHEW RUSSELL; b. abt
                      1880, Madison County, Alabama.

                      Children of DANIEL AUSTIN and KATHERINE HOUSE are:

                      viii. DORA GAY3 AUSTIN, b. 30 Nov 1890, Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama;
                      d. 1992, Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama; m. (1) WILLIAM "BILL" MCFADDEN,
                      Bef. 1920, Jackson County, Alabama; b. abt 1885; m. (2) GEORGE WASHINGTON
                      ALLISON, Aft. 1920, Jackson County, Alabama; b. abt 1889; m. (3) GEORGE
                      WASHINGTON REYNOLDS, abt 1940, Jackson County, Alabama; b. abt 1885; d. abt
                      1970.

                      More About DORA GAY AUSTIN:

                      Source: 1980, Dora Gay Austin Reynolds

                      ix. DYMPLE AUSTIN, b. 23 Apr 1894, McMahan's Cove, Jackson County, Alabama;
                      d. 17 Nov 1990, Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama; m. JAMES KELSO RUDDER,
                      19 Jan 1920, Jasper, Marion County, Tennessee; b. 10 Feb 1886; d. Sep 1949.

                      More About DYMPLE AUSTIN:

                      Source 1: 1980, Dora Gay Austin Reynolds

                      Source 2: 1980, Dymple Austin Rudder

                      Source 3: 1998, Jimmy Lou Rudder Williams

                      More About JAMES KELSO RUDDER:

                      Source: Jul 1998, Jimmy Lou Rudder Williams

                      x. HORACE BRYNE AUSTIN, b. 28 Jul 1896, McMahan's Cove, Jackson County,
                      Alabama; d. Dec 1976, Pheonix, Maricopa County, Arizonia; m. PRESH VINSON,
                      abt 1926, Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama; b. abt 1900; d. Bet. 1980 -
                      1995, Pheonix, Maricopa County, Arizonia.

                      Endnotes

                      1. Gay Austin Reynolds & Dimple Austin Rudder.

                      2. Ralph H Allread & Charles E Austin 1965 to 1998, "Cagle Cemetery Survey,
                      revised."

                      3. John McClain, J R Wilkinson Files.

                      4. Marriages, Wills, Land Transactions, and other recorded records, County
                      Records;, Dade County, Gerogia Marriage Records.

                      5. Ralph H Allread & Charles E Austin 1965 to 1998, "Cagle Cemetery Survey,
                      revised."

                      6. Dora Gay Austin Reynolds, Cemetery Surveys, Jimmy Lou Rudder Williams,,
                      John H Austin Family.

                      7. Alabama Marriages, 1800-1920, Ancestry Com, "Electronic."

                      8. Alice Pauline Sanders Juengst, Alice Pauline Sanders Juengst.

                      9. Dora Gay Austin Reynolds, Cemetery Surveys, Jimmy Lou Rudder Williams,,
                      John H Austin Family.

                      10. Jimmy Lou Rudder Williams.

                      11. Dora Gay Austin Reynolds, Cemetery Surveys, Jimmy Lou Rudder Williams,,
                      John H Austin Family.

                      12. Daniel Walker Austin, Joanne Austin Condra.

                      Charles Austin
                      TennAlaGa
                      :
                      : ptpowell@...
                      : I researching Powell, Edwards, Howard,Gray,
                      : Craze,Holloway,Shrader
                      : Gentle,Houk,Tipton,Rousseau,
                      : Burgess, Bates, Boyd, Austin, Parton,
                      : Shoemake, Hillis
                      :
                      : --- Richard Matthews <prm@...> wrote:
                      : >
[...]
                      : > ..............................
                      : >
                      : > From: cherokeeindian77@...
                      : > [mailto:cherokeeindian77@...]
                      : >
                      : >
                      : =====
                      :
                      : Researching:
                      Powell,Edwards,Craze,Holloway,Shrader,Gray,Cameron,Howard,Burgess,Bates,
                      :
                      : Rousseau,Boyd,Ables,Parton,Gentle,Houk, Shoemaker,Austin, Hillis,Tipton.
                      :
                      : Would love any HELP!
                      :
                      :
                      : Do you Yahoo!?
                      : Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                      : http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      :
                      :
                      :