House of Happiness Scottsboro

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
    • Latrelle
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
        very inyeresting, thank you
        ----- Original Message -----
        From: Richard Matthews <prm@...>
        To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
        Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 7:14
        Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Information request

        > Salt Peter Cave is not longer accessible. It has bars across the entrance
        > keep explorers out . . something to do with protecting the rare grey bats
        > that live there at times. The cave was stocked as a fallout shelter back
        in
        > the 60's and it used to be a regular occurance for our local recue team to
        > have to go in and bring out lost teenagers who had gotten lost in its many
        > tunnels. At one time there was still a big salt peter cooking pot in
        there
        > but I thik it was removed years ago. As you know salt peter is a key
        > ingredient in the making of gun powder and the cave was mined for the
        stuff
        > as far back as the WBTS.
        >
        > Not relating to the cave but some general information that I recently
        > acquired that might be of interest to those who read the list. It comes
        from
        > a Moulton Newspaper around the turn of the century and makes for
        interesting
        > reading.
        >
        > (1) Jackson County, AL: 1880-1915
        >
        > Thomas Newton, of Jackson county, has lost his son-strayed or stolen.
        Small
        > in size, very talkative and is 16 years old. If you should see young Tom
        > drop his anxious father a card or note at Carpenter, Jackson county,
        > Alabama. (Moulton Advertiser 3 May 1883)
        >
        > A man was sent to the Scottsboro poor house last week who has one son an
        > eminent Presbyterian divine in Texas, and another son who is a prosperous
        > dentist. (Moulton Advertiser 25 Feb 1886)
        >
        > D. W. Speak and C. W. Brown have formed a law partnership at Scottsboro.
        > (Moulton Advertiser 21 Jan 1886)
        >
        > Harry Henderson, brother-in-law of Jas. Armstrong of the Scottsboro
        Citizen,
        > has been appointed mail agent on the M. & C. R.R. (Moulton Advertiser 22
        Apr
        > 1886)
        >
        > The Jackson county jail contains 17 prisoners, 13 of whom occupy one cell
        6
        > x 18.
        > (Moulton Advertiser 31 Jul 1884)
        >
        > The four Skelton boys, John, Jim ___ and Tot, who killed Ross at
        Stephenson
        > in February last, have been indicted by the grand jury of Jackson county
        for
        > murder in the first degree. (Moulton Advertiser 22 Mar 1894)
        >
        > Judge John B. Tally has been charged by the grand jury of Jackson county
        > with complicity in the killing of R. _. Ross by the Skelton boys. (Moulton
        > Advertiser 22 Mar 1894)
        >
        > Dr. Europe Culpepper was stabbed to death by Coley Sparks at Scottsboro.
        An
        > old grudge was was [sic] the cause of the tragedy. (Moulton Advertiser 29
        > Sep 1915) (Note: Dr. Culpepper was born 12 Jun 1884, died 23 Sep 1915.
        Coley
        > Sparks was mentally ill.)
        >
        > Thos. Duncan was killed by lightning, in the door of his saloon, in
        > Brownsboro, yesterday afternoon. -Scottsboro Herald (Moulton Advertiser
        17
        > Jul 1884)
        >
        > W. A. B. Carter was foully murdered, near Scottsboro a few days ago, by
        Sol
        > Waller and W. U. Walker. They made him drunk, then cut and shot him to
        > pieces. The brutes are in jail. (Moulton Advertiser 24 May 1883) Received
        13
        > May 2002: Mr. Cagle, I searched google.com for my great-grandfather's name
        > and found your web
        > page with news items on Jackson County, AL: 1880-1915. The item on WAB
        > Carter caught my attention.
        > William Alexander Barnett Carter was my g-grandfather and as far as I
        know,
        > he was the only WAB Carter in Jackson County. He died of natural causes
        in
        > 1909. I assume this was the full text of the newspaper item,
        > but if you think there could have been more please let me know. These news
        > items are very interesting reading and thank you for providing them.
        > jerry.carter@... (Jerry Carter, Paint Rock Valley,
        > Jackson County)
        >
        > A Baptist church, at Kirby's Creek, in Jackson county, was burned by
        > incendiaries on the 1st. They entered the pastor's orchard and destroyed
        his
        > fine fruit trees. (Moulton Advertiser 15 Jan 1885)
        >
        > Uncle Dicky Wood, aged over 80 years, died in Jackson county one day last
        > week.
        > (Moulton Advertiser 18 Dec 1884)
        >
        > Benj. Franks, who shot and killed Jasper Jones, Register in Chancery, of
        > Jackson county, in 1878, was captured in Tennessee, two weeks ago, and is
        > now in jail at Scottsboro. (Moulton Advertiser 18 Mar 1880) (Received 20
        Mar
        > 2002:"Benjamin Franks my grandfather was released from prison on December
        > 10, 1881 by the Jackson County, Alabama Circuit Court, Record Dock. #1639
        > page 61 as a free man. The records do not show any information on the
        > proceedings of this trail." -Ben R Franks, California.
        >
        > Taylor Banks will be hanged in Jackson county the 27th of July, and
        Frances
> [...]
        > who was tried and convicted of murder at the late term of the Jackson
        county
        > circuit court. (Moulton Advertiser 26 Jul 1883) (Note: App. should be
        > Banks.)

        > ----
        >
        > Hon. Wm. H. Robinson, one of Jackson county's favorite sons, is announced
        > for Congress, in this week's paper. We also publish a card of his, in
        which
        > he gives a brief statement of his political views. Mr. Robinson is an able
        > lawyer, a fine scholar, and a true Democrat. He was a brave soldier in the
        > war, and lost a leg (we are told) in defense of the South. He is said to
        be
        > a man of great firmness and energy, and would no doubt, make a useful and
        > attentive Representative. (Moulton Advertiser 3 Apr 1884)
        >
        > The following card, from Rev. Lee Whitten, dated at Scottsboro, March 2,
        and
        > was received too late for our last issue: Capt. W. H. Robinson, it is
        > supposed, took his own life this morning at the Harris House. He was found
        > dead in bed, by Capt. J. E. Brown, his law partner, with a large dirk
        driven
        > through his heart, his right hand clenching it with a terrible grasp. He
        had
        > written in Florence, yesterday, a letter of withdrawal from the
        > Congressional race. He came home immediately. A pall of sadness drapes our
        > whole town by reason of this awful tragedy. (Moulton Advertiser 10 Apr
        > 1884)
        >
        > Last week we announced Capt. W. H. Robinson for Congress-this week we
        > announce his death. "In the midst of life we are in death." (Moulton
        > Advertiser 10 Apr 1884)

        > ----
        >
        > J. M. Skelton, one of North Alabama's most widely known political campaign
        > managers, committed suicide in his store at Scottsboro. Despondency over
        ill
        > health was the cause. (Moulton Advertiser 29 Sep 1915)
        >
        > We regret to learn of Judge G. D. Cambell's [sic] sad afflictions. A
        > cataract is forming over each eye, and he is now entirely blind. The
        > Scottsboro Citizen says he complains not, but submits to the inevitable
        with
        > Christian resignation. Judge Campbell is nearing his 79th birthday, was
        once
        > a citizen of this place and many of our older citizens remember him as a
        > perfect gentleman. (Moulton Advertiser 1 May 1902)
        >
        > Hoy Cox, while hunting in Jackson county, accidentally shot himself in the
        > abdomen, and but little hope is entertained for his recovery. (Moulton
        > Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)
        >
        > Mrs. Lizzie Shelton, a lady of high social standing in Scottsboro, while
        > walking across the street last Wednesday, seeing Hugh Bynum at a distance,
        > called him to her side, drew a pistol and shot him through the shoulder.
        She
        > fired twice again without effect, and then surrendered to the authorities.
        > She claims that Bynum had insulted her. - Decatur News (Moulton
        > Advertiser 4 Jun 1885) (Note: Poss typo for Skelton.)
        >
        > M. L. Bryant, a prominent citizen of Scottsboro, took his own life.
        (Moulton
        > Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)
        >
        > M. L. Bryant, a wealthy farmer, committed suicide by hanging himself in
        > Jackson county.
        > (Moulton Advertiser 22 Feb 1910)
        >
        > The Scottsboro Citizen says: "Up the railroad a few days since, the
        express
        > train ran into a flock of wild turkeys, and killed several. The engineer
        > stopped the train and picked up two for home eating."
        > (Moulton Advertiser 13 Dec 1883)
        >
        > Dr. D.A. Padgett died in Jackson county last week. (Moulton Advertiser 9
        Jun

      • vrgfdonna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
          Yes, thank you!

        • revjermg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2003
            Patricia,I have had this msg. on my inbox for awhile with the intention of getting in touch with you because I find your posts so interesting .I am a retired Presbyterian minister married to another Pres.minister. I like the way you witness to your faith . I also think that you must have a lot of knowledge of Jackson cty. Where do you live now since it is obvious that you live some distance away ? We live in New York ,on the East End of Long Island .Sag Harbor is a small Village formerly big in the fishing trade and big in whaling in the last century .Today it survives on tourist trade in the Spring-Fall period .My wife Susan is Pastor of the First Presbyterian "Old Whalers " church .My experience with Jackson Cty. was limited because my parents were divorced during WW2 and I had little contact with the Guinns .I was over there in 1953 to a family reunion out at the Centennial Baptist Church .My Dad's family were all located around Fackler and Stevenson .My gfather was Ezra Henderson Guinn .There are still a number of cousins in the area that I would like to contact ,but have not been able to locate them . I have spent a lot of time working on my maternal relatives as well because they seemed to be a closed mouthed bunch .I guess they didn't think kids needed to know that much when I was young . So I have spent a lot of the last 5 years working on basic stuff like who was my grandfather(both) .I have worked it back to Greats on both sides.But my time is limited between drs. visits and my limited amount of work at the church .If you have any knowledge that would help me please share .Thank you and God Bless . Pastor Jerry
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2003
              Thank you for the nice words, as for information on Jackson County I don't
              have much information but there are some people who are on the list who do, just
              post the request and see what happens.
              Just hang in and keep praying for the Lord to open the door for you when it
              is the right time He'll make all known to you.
              I can give good advice but it's difficult for me to take my own advice.
              I could not count how many times I've been in tears trying to brake down
              these brick walls of mine.
              Seems like to me when I least expect it is when the Lord opens a new door for
              me.
              I'll be praying for you today.
              God Bless.
              Ezekiel 36:25

              revjermg@... writes:

              > Subj:Re: [jacksongenealogy] Information request
              > Date:6/8/03 7:37:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time
              > From:<A HREF="mailto:revjermg@...">revjermg@...</A>
              > To:<A HREF="mailto:jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com">jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com</A>
              > Sent from the Internet
              >

              > Patricia,I have had this msg. on my inbox for awhile with the intention of
              > getting in touch with you because I find your posts so interesting .I am a
              > retired Presbyterian minister married to another Pres.minister. I like the way
              > you witness to your faith . I also think that you must have a lot of
              > knowledge of Jackson cty. Where do you live now since it is obvious that you live
              > some distance away ? We live in New York ,on the East End of Long Island .Sag
              > Harbor is a small Village formerly big in the fishing trade and big in whaling
              > in the last century .Today it survives on tourist trade in the Spring-Fall
              > period .My wife Susan is Pastor of the First Presbyterian "Old Whalers " church
              > .My experience with Jackson Cty. was limited because my parents were
              > divorced during WW2 and I had little contact with the Guinns .I was over there in
              > 1953 to a family reunion out at the Centennial Baptist Church .My Dad's family
              > were all located around Fackler and Stevenson .My gfather was Ezra Henderson
              > Guinn .There are still a number of cousins in the area that I would like to
              > contact ,but have not been able to locate them . I have spent a lot of time
              > working on my maternal relatives as well because they seemed to be a closed
              > mouthed bunch .I guess they didn't think kids needed to know that much when I
              > was young . So I have spent a lot of the last 5 years working on basic stuff
              > like who was my grandfather(both) .I have worked it back to Greats on both
              > sides.But my time is limited between drs. visits and my limited amount of work
              > at the church .If you have any knowledge that would help me please share
              > .Thank you and God Bless . Pastor Jerry

              In God's Service
              ah-nee-jah-lah-gee Guh-geh-yoo
              Goo-hoo-sdee Juhn-dee
              Patricia Mills
              <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>

              Researching: Rodgers, Tyner, Sevier, Smith, Short, Lemons, Edge, Price,
              Burgess, Morrow, Mahan
              Location: Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, N.C., S.C., Kentucky

              My Brick Wall: Joseph P. Rodgers 1846, who were his parents and where did he
              come from? His Wife: Emily Elizabeth Smith/Rodgers/Lemons 1843, who were her
              parents she lived with her grandparents George and Mary Ann Smith.