Re: [jacksongenealogy] om:Fr "Teddy Randles"

  • marywinn
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2002
      This Virus warning is a hoax!!!!! Here is what truth or fiction
      (truthorfiction.com) has to say about it:

      View Stories By Subject

      New or Updated
      Anatomy of a Rumor
      Contact Us
      About Us

      Animals
      Attack On America
      Aviation-Space
      Celebrities
      Education
      Food-Drink
      Government
      Household
      Humorous Stories
      Insects-Reptiles
      Inspirational
      Internet-Computers
      Medical
      Military
      Miscellaneous
      Missing Persons
      Pleas for Help
      Politics-Politicians
      Prayer Requests
      Promises
      Religious-Spiritual
      Viruses
      Warnings
      Delete jdbgmgr.exe From Your Windows Command Folder Because It's a
      Virus-Fiction!

      Summary of eRumor
      An email warns you that a new virus is spreading and will activate on a
      certain date. Many versions also describe how the sender of the email
      searched his or her computer and found the file so is warning you in case
      the contamination was passed along. The offending file is named jdbgmgr.exe
      and you get instructions on how to find and delete the file both from your
      hard disk and from the recycle bin in Windows. Some versions also identify
      it as the "Teddy Bear" virus because of the design of the icon for the file.

      The Truth:
      This is a false warning. If you follow the instructions in the eRumor, you
      will be deleting a valid file, not a virus.

      jdbgmgr.exe is a Windows file associated with Java.

      Fortunately, even if you did delete the file, it should not cause major
      problems and Windows should continue to work normally. You will want to get
      the file back, however, so your Windows installation will be in complete
      working order. Without the file, the handling of some filenames may be
      affected if they become corrupted.

      It is identical to another false virus warning about a file named
      sulfnbk.exe.
      The icon for the real file does have a teddy bear on it.

      To provide the best protection for your computer, be sure you have good
      virus protection software and that the virus definitions for it are up to
      date.

      Note: Even though this virus warning is a hoax, there is a real virus
      called BugBear that should not be confused with it.

      Last updated 05/17/02

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2002
        This Virus warning is a hoax!!!!! Here is what truth or fiction
        (truthorfiction.com) has to say about it:

        Please once again DO NOT POST ANY VIRUS OR VIRUS HOAX INFORMATION TO OUR
        GENEALOGY LIST. This list is for use for genealogy and related subject
        posts. Any other use is not acceptable.

        List Coordinator
        Richard
      • Sharon Decker
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2002
          --- Richard Matthews <prm@...> wrote:

          > This Virus warning is a hoax!!!!! Here is what truth
          > or fiction
          > (truthorfiction.com) has to say about it:

          > Please once again DO NOT POST ANY VIRUS OR VIRUS
          > HOAX INFORMATION TO OUR
          > GENEALOGY LIST. This list is for use for genealogy
          > and related subject
          > posts. Any other use is not acceptable.
          >
          > List Coordinator
          > Richard
          >

          > I haven't posted anything to the list yet...Did it
          seem that I did? Please advise. SgDeckBak

          http://launch.yahoo.com/u2