RE: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 525

  • Anne Rohr
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2002
      Again, this is a hoax! Do NOT delete this from your computer!

      From: "P. Loper" <ploper@...>
      2. Re: om:Fr "Teddy Randles" <teddy.randles@...>
      From: altafae@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 20:56:16 -0600
      From: "P. Loper" <ploper@...>
      Subject: om:Fr "Teddy Randles" <teddy.randles@...>

      From: "Teddy Randles" <teddy.randles@...>
      To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
      Subject: Fw: Email virus alert!!!
      Date: Saturday, November 09, 2002 11:02 AM

      To Everyone: I received this message from one of my correspondents and
      I followed the instructions. Sure enough the virus was in my computer
      without my knowledge. I don't know when it got there and if I had not
      received this message, I never would have known it before it did damage.
      May have done some damage any way, I don't know. Any way by following
      the instructions I was able to delete the virus, I hope. I am sorry
      about this, but I didn't know that it was there. Maybe you all can get
      rid of it before it damages your computer. Sorry. Ted

      From: santor
      To: TIM ORD ; SCOTT JOSEY ; Sandy Vincent ; SANDY BURT ; rod pelles ;
      phusbach ; Paul Hogan ; NANCY GOEDHART ; MICHAEL LEBLANC ; MICHAEL
      WADDELL ; MEM AND PEP JOSEY ; MELODY SANTOR ; Mark & Lisa Love ; Mama
      and Papa Hoffman ; LUCILLE VINCENT ; Leaders ; Josh and Sarah Hoffman ;
      Joe Rystrom ; Jessica Hagel ; JEFF HAVLIN ; JEFF HAGEL ; Hogan, Krista ;
      Garry Leblanc ; frank ; Ernie and Doreen Lawton ; Eddie and Grace ; Ed
      and Lynnette Twardoz ; DonEHagel@... ; DAD VINCENT ; DAD SANTOR ; CP
      ; c srep9 ; BETH ZERRAHN ; BERNIE LEBLANC ; BECKY ; AUNT MARIE AND GIRLS
      ; AUNT JEAN ; Asolo USA ; Ashleigh Hoffman ; angie finnegan
      Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 11:44 PM
      Subject: Email virus alert!!!

      Dear All,
      A virus has been passed on to my computer by a contact. I have followed
      the procedure below and deleted it from my computer but my address book
      may have been infected. Since you are in my address book, there is a
      good chance you will find it in your computer too.
      The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee
      anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging
      the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address
      book, whether or not you sent emails to your contacts. Here's how to
      check for the virus and how to get rid of it.
      YOU MUST DO THIS
      1. Go to Start, Find or Search option
      2. In the file/folders option, type then name:jdbgmgr.exe
      3. Be sure your search includes all of C: drive and all subfolders and
      any other drives you may have.
      4. Click "find now"
      5. The Virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe. DO NOT
      OPEN IT
      6. Go to Edit (on the menue bar), choose "select all" to highlight the
      file without opening it.
      7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will then go
      the the Recycle Bin
      IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
      BOOK SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT.
      To do this:
      1. Open a new e-mail message
      2. Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"
      3. Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
      4. Copy this message...enter subject..paste to e-mail and send
      Sorry for the inconvenience
      Jennifer Santor

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:25:13 EST
      From: altafae@...
      Subject: Re: om:Fr "Teddy Randles" <teddy.randles@...>

      Here we go once more, THIS IS NOT A VIRUS - it is a JAVA program that
      you
      need. Please go to your anti-virus program homepage and read about this

      hoax. You should know it is not a virus if you ANTI-VIRUS program does
      not
      notify you with a scan.

      It you have not invested in an anti-virus program you should look at
      them,
      some are free and some have a simple fee per year.

      cuz Jimmie