Re: [jacksongenealogy] om:Fr "Teddy Randles"

  • altafae@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2002
      Here we go once more, THIS IS NOT A VIRUS - it is a JAVA program that you
      need. Please go to your anti-virus program homepage and read about this
      hoax. You should know it is not a virus if you ANTI-VIRUS program does not
      notify you with a scan.

      It you have not invested in an anti-virus program you should look at them,
      some are free and some have a simple fee per year.

      cuz Jimmie

    • marywinn
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2002
        This Virus warning is a hoax!!!!! Here is what truth or fiction
        (truthorfiction.com) has to say about it:

        View Stories By Subject

        New or Updated
        Anatomy of a Rumor
        Contact Us
        About Us

        Animals
        Attack On America
        Aviation-Space
        Celebrities
        Education
        Food-Drink
        Government
        Household
        Humorous Stories
        Insects-Reptiles
        Inspirational
        Internet-Computers
        Medical
        Military
        Miscellaneous
        Missing Persons
        Pleas for Help
        Politics-Politicians
        Prayer Requests
        Promises
        Religious-Spiritual
        Viruses
        Warnings
        Delete jdbgmgr.exe From Your Windows Command Folder Because It's a
        Virus-Fiction!

        Summary of eRumor
        An email warns you that a new virus is spreading and will activate on a
        certain date. Many versions also describe how the sender of the email
        searched his or her computer and found the file so is warning you in case
        the contamination was passed along. The offending file is named jdbgmgr.exe
        and you get instructions on how to find and delete the file both from your
        hard disk and from the recycle bin in Windows. Some versions also identify
        it as the "Teddy Bear" virus because of the design of the icon for the file.

        The Truth:
        This is a false warning. If you follow the instructions in the eRumor, you
        will be deleting a valid file, not a virus.

        jdbgmgr.exe is a Windows file associated with Java.

        Fortunately, even if you did delete the file, it should not cause major
        problems and Windows should continue to work normally. You will want to get
        the file back, however, so your Windows installation will be in complete
        working order. Without the file, the handling of some filenames may be
        affected if they become corrupted.

        It is identical to another false virus warning about a file named
        sulfnbk.exe.
        The icon for the real file does have a teddy bear on it.

        To provide the best protection for your computer, be sure you have good
        virus protection software and that the virus definitions for it are up to
        date.

        Note: Even though this virus warning is a hoax, there is a real virus
        called BugBear that should not be confused with it.

        Last updated 05/17/02

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2002
          This Virus warning is a hoax!!!!! Here is what truth or fiction
          (truthorfiction.com) has to say about it:

          Please once again DO NOT POST ANY VIRUS OR VIRUS HOAX INFORMATION TO OUR
          GENEALOGY LIST. This list is for use for genealogy and related subject
          posts. Any other use is not acceptable.

          List Coordinator
          Richard
        • Sharon Decker
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2002
            --- Richard Matthews <prm@...> wrote:

            > This Virus warning is a hoax!!!!! Here is what truth
            > or fiction
            > (truthorfiction.com) has to say about it:

            > Please once again DO NOT POST ANY VIRUS OR VIRUS
            > HOAX INFORMATION TO OUR
            > GENEALOGY LIST. This list is for use for genealogy
            > and related subject
            > posts. Any other use is not acceptable.
            >
            > List Coordinator
            > Richard
            >

            > I haven't posted anything to the list yet...Did it
            seem that I did? Please advise. SgDeckBak

            http://launch.yahoo.com/u2