Re: [jacksongenealogy] Fw: ADDRESS BOOK VIRUS

  • Geri
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
      yes Jimmie you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Geri Beaver
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
        This is a hoax. I had this same message some months ago. Go to the
        Microsoft web page to get the jdbgmgr.exe extension and put it back on your
        computer. The web sight will also explain that this is a hoax. It does look
        like a rabbit or some animal, but it is from Microsoft. If you put this
        extension in the recycle bin it won't shut your computer down, but it may
        cause the performance of windows to lag.

        Jason Statum

      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
          I know we are all trying to be helpful about this subject, but please let's
          not make this into a computer virus forum. If anyone on the list has any
          such information or questions about virus in the future, I will be glad to
          check it out and then pass it on to the list if warranted.

          There is more information online, on other sites about computers and their
          ailments, than anyone can ever read, but most of the members on our list
          want information from our mailing list only pertaining to Jackson County
          Alabama genealogy.

          Thanks again for being a good bunch of folks to be on a mailing list with.

          Richard
        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
            http://www.willowarchives.com/inprint/abmurder.htm

            Thoght some of you might find this of interest
          • John Moore
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
              Please, drop it! I’m getting more HOAX than roots messages.
              Before “warning” of a hoax, check the Norton site or another anti-virus to see if
              it is real. Those companies are way ahead of ANY warnings you’ll get in ANY e-mail
              message.

            • Geri
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                amen to that

                I know we are all trying to be helpful about this subject, but please let's
                not make this into a computer virus forum. If anyone on the list has any
                such information or questions about virus in the future, I will be glad to
                check it out and then pass it on to the list if warranted.

                There is more information online, on other sites about computers and their
                ailments, than anyone can ever read, but most of the members on our list
                want information from our mailing list only pertaining to Jackson County
                Alabama genealogy.

                Thanks again for being a good bunch of folks to be on a mailing list with.

                Richard

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Richard Matthews
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                  (1) Jackson County, AL: 1880-1915

                  Thomas Newton, of Jackson county, has lost his son—strayed or
                  stolen. Small in size, very talkative and is 16 years old. If you
                  should see young Tom drop his anxious father a card or note at
                  Carpenter, Jackson county, Alabama. (Moulton Advertiser 3 May 1883)

                  A man was sent to the Scottsboro poor house last week who has one
                  son an eminent Presbyterian divine in Texas, and another son who is
                  a prosperous dentist. (Moulton Advertiser 25 Feb 1886)

                  D. W. Speak and C. W. Brown have formed a law partnership at
                  Scottsboro.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 21 Jan 1886)

                  Harry Henderson, brother-in-law of Jas. Armstrong of the Scottsboro
                  Citizen, has been appointed mail agent on the M. & C. R.R. (Moulton
                  Advertiser 22 Apr 1886)

                  The Jackson county jail contains 17 prisoners, 13 of whom occupy one
                  cell 6 x 18.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 31 Jul 1884)

                  The four Skelton boys, John, Jim ___ and Tot, who killed Ross at
                  Stephenson in February last, have been indicted by the grand jury of
                  Jackson county for murder in the first degree. (Moulton Advertiser
                  22 Mar 1894)

                  Judge John B. Tally has been charged by the grand jury of Jackson
                  county with complicity in the killing of R. _. Ross by the Skelton
                  boys. (Moulton Advertiser 22 Mar 1894)

                  Dr. Europe Culpepper was stabbed to death by Coley Sparks at
                  Scottsboro. An old grudge was was [sic] the cause of the tragedy.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 29 Sep 1915) (Note: Dr. Culpepper was born 12
                  Jun 1884, died 23 Sep 1915. Coley Sparks was mentally ill.)

                  Thos. Duncan was killed by lightning, in the door of his saloon, in
                  Brownsboro, yesterday afternoon. -Scottsboro Herald (Moulton
                  Advertiser 17 Jul 1884)

                  W. A. B. Carter was foully murdered, near Scottsboro a few days ago,
                  by Sol Waller and W. U. Walker. They made him drunk, then cut and
                  shot him to pieces. The brutes are in jail. (Moulton Advertiser 24
                  May 1883)

                  A Baptist church, at Kirby's Creek, in Jackson county, was burned by
                  incendiaries on the 1st. They entered the pastor's orchard and
                  destroyed his fine fruit trees. (Moulton Advertiser 15 Jan 1885)

                  Uncle Dicky Wood, aged over 80 years, died in Jackson county one day
                  last week.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 18 Dec 1884)

                  Benj. Franks, who shot and killed Jasper Jones, Register in
                  Chancery, of Jackson county, in 1878, was captured in Tennessee, two
                  weeks ago, and is now in jail at Scottsboro. (Moulton Advertiser 18
                  Mar 1880).

                  Taylor Banks will be hanged in Jackson county the 27th of July, and
                  Frances Wood sent to the penitentiary for life—both convicted of
                  murdering Turner Wood. (Moulton Advertiser 21 Jun 1883)

                  To-morrow (Friday) is set for the hanging of Taylor Backs, at
                  Scottsboro, who was tried and convicted of murder at the late term
                  of the Jackson county circuit court. (Moulton Advertiser 26 Jul
                  1883) (Note: App. should be Banks.)

                  -----------

                  Hon. Wm. H. Robinson, one of Jackson county's favorite sons, is
                  announced for Congress, in this week's paper. We also publish a card
                  of his, in which he gives a brief statement of his political views.
                  Mr. Robinson is an able lawyer, a fine scholar, and a true Democrat.
                  He was a brave soldier in the war, and lost a leg (we are told) in
                  defense of the South. He is said to be a man of great firmness and
                  energy, and would no doubt, make a useful and attentive
                  Representative. (Moulton Advertiser 3 Apr 1884)

                  The following card, from Rev. Lee Whitten, dated at Scottsboro,
                  March 2, and was received too late for our last issue: Capt. W. H.
                  Robinson, it is supposed, took his own life this morning at the
                  Harris House. He was found dead in bed, by Capt. J. E. Brown, his
                  law partner, with a large dirk driven through his heart, his right
                  hand clenching it with a terrible grasp. He had written in Florence,
                  yesterday, a letter of withdrawal from the Congressional race. He
                  came home immediately. A pall of sadness drapes our whole town by
                  reason of this awful tragedy. (Moulton Advertiser 10 Apr 1884)

                  Last week we announced Capt. W. H. Robinson for Congress—this week
                  we announce his death. "In the midst of life we are in death."
                  (Moulton Advertiser 10 Apr 1884)

                  -----------

                  J. M. Skelton, one of North Alabama's most widely known political
                  campaign managers, committed suicide in his store at Scottsboro.
                  Despondency over ill health was the cause. (Moulton Advertiser 29
                  Sep 1915)

                  We regret to learn of Judge G. D. Cambell's [sic] sad afflictions. A
                  cataract is forming over each eye, and he is now entirely blind. The
                  Scottsboro Citizen says he complains not, but submits to the
                  inevitable with Christian resignation. Judge Campbell is nearing his
                  79th birthday, was once a citizen of this place and many of our
                  older citizens remember him as a perfect gentleman. (Moulton
                  Advertiser 1 May 1902)

                  Hoy Cox, while hunting in Jackson county, accidentally shot himself
                  in the abdomen, and but little hope is entertained for his recovery.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)

                  Mrs. Lizzie Shelton, a lady of high social standing in Scottsboro,
                  while walking across the street last Wednesday, seeing Hugh Bynum at
                  a distance, called him to her side, drew a pistol and shot him
                  through the shoulder. She fired twice again without effect, and then
                  surrendered to the authorities. She claims that Bynum had insulted
                  her. — Decatur News (Moulton Advertiser 4 Jun 1885) (Note: Poss
                  typo for Skelton.)

                  M. L. Bryant, a prominent citizen of Scottsboro, took his own life.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)

                  M. L. Bryant, a wealthy farmer, committed suicide by hanging himself
                  in Jackson county.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 22 Feb 1910)

                  The Scottsboro Citizen says: "Up the railroad a few days since, the
                  express train ran into a flock of wild turkeys, and killed several.
                  The engineer stopped the train and picked up two for home eating."
                  (Moulton Advertiser 13 Dec 1883)

                  Dr. D.A. Padgett died in Jackson county last week. (Moulton
                  Advertiser 9 Jun 1887)

                  Mrs. Mary Jones, of Jackson county, celebrated her one hundredth
                  birthday on the 14th of July. Mrs. Jones and the Junior were born on
                  the same day of the month, but the good woman is just 65 years older
                  than we are. The 14th of July is lucky for a person to be born on.
                  People born on that day always live to be over a hundred years old,
                  and generally accumulate a large fortune. (Moulton Advertiser 26
                  Jul 1883) Note: Whenever the Moulton Advertiser referred to the
                  Junior, it meant Jourd White, younger brother of Dewitt Clinton
                  White, the Senior.

                  N. H. Snodgrass of Jackson county lost 1400 bushels of corn by fire
                  one day last week.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 8 Apr 1886)

                  J. H. Gregory, the present circuit clerk of Jackson county, proposes
                  to serve the people again in that capacity. He is a one-armed hero,
                  makes a fine officer and we hope the good people of that county will
                  retain him as Clerk.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 29 Jan 1880)

                  John Garland, an influential farmer of High Jackson, after spending
                  several weeks near this place, returned to his home on Saturday
                  last. He says old Jackson would give Col. J. B. Moore a rousing
                  majority for congress. Ditto for the District. (Moulton Advertiser
                  22 Jan 1880)

                  Frank Lovelady was robbed of $900.00 by highwaymen in Jackson
                  County.
                  (Moulton Advertiser 27 Jan 1915)

                  Hon. J. D. French, one of the Representatives in the Legislature
                  from High Jackson, was in Moulton on Saturday last and gave the
                  Advertiser a pleasant call. (Moulton Advertiser 17 Jan 1889)

                  John D. French reports an enjoyable trip to his old home in Jackson
                  county, and a fine time at the State Farmers' meeting in
                  Birmingham. (Moulton Advertiser 8 Sep 1915)

                  Mr. Bain, who has been confined in the Jackson co., jail, charged
                  and convicted of murdering a Mr. Johnson, in Marshall county several
                  years ago, is out on bail. (Moulton Advertiser 20 Mar 1884)
                • Karl Plenge
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                    Some of these are quite funny, many are quite sad, but all are appreciated,
                    and I know it was a lot of work to type them all in. Thank you for sharing
                    them with us, it is quite likely someone will see a name they need in one of
                    them.
                  • Sanders, Dennis R.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                      Extremely interesting, thanks for submitting
                      Dennis Sanders
                      Union, Ky.

[...]

                      Scottsboro. An old grudge was [sic] the cause of the tragedy.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Pat Alexander
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                        Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
                        http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html

                        I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last week on jacksongenealogy.

                        Thanks,

                        Pat Alexander
                        Jacksonville, AL
                          I have no problem with it. The files have been published elsewhere on the
                          internet already.
                          Richard

                          On 7/6/05, Pat Alexander <walex1@...> wrote:

                          > Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast
                          > Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
                          > http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html
                          >
                          > I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson
                          > County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last
                          > week on jacksongenealogy.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Pat Alexander

                        • Sharon
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                            Thank you, Richard! It is great to be able to reach out and "touch" those
                            days in Jackson County. I had been thankful that my grandmother, who grew up
                            in Jackson County during the period of these articles, did not have to live
                            in our crime-ridden century! Now I see that, although many things change
                            throughout the decades, ...some things remain the same. As for these
                            articles, if you find more, please continue to share. Thanks again. Sharon

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                              Sharon's comments and Richard's clippings reminded me of something I saw
                              while going through the December 1881 editions of the Columbus, GA,
                              newspaper on microfilm recently. I want to pass it on, both as a novelty,
                              and also to ask if anyone has ever heard of this "tradition" elsewhere.

                              The paper's columnist was harkening back to "the good old days" (he actually
                              used that term, we only think it's a new term!) of approximately 20 years
                              past when there was a tradition at Christmas (I believe on Christmas eve) of
                              teens sneaking out of their homes, imbibing in "Christmas spirits," and then
                              sneaking up outside the windows of unsuspecting sleeping citizens and
                              scaring the bejeebers out of them by firing off firearms just outside their
                              window.

                              I am not sure why that constitutes "the good old days," I would be inclined
                              to fire back if anyone had done that to me, but I am wondering if anyone
                              else has ever heard of anything like this?
                            • zrcb@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                Richard
                                I really like the old stories and obits that you are including in Jackson
                                genealogy. If you ever run acrossan obit on Robert Boyd who died August 10
                                1888 near Bellefonte. It is in the Progressive Age. I would appreciat it if
                                you ran that. He was my Ggrandfather. My Ggrandmother was Mary Waller also of
                                Jackson Co. Sure do wish I knew where they were buried. He died in 1888 and
                                she died abt 1912
                                both in Jackson Co Al.
                                Thank You
                                Chuck Boyd

                              • Joy Smith
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 8, 2005
                                  Richard, Thank you. These were very interesting. When my sis & I went to Fayetteville a few months back, and looked at some old court records, we laughed our heads off at the wording of some of them.
                                  One man "maliciously, viciously, wickedly and will ill intent called ____ an SOB". Another man's wife, whom he treated with "the utmost honor and respect" ran off to a "bawdy house" in Nashville.... These are just 2 examples. We laugh now, but reporting (including court reporting) was high drama. Thanks. JOY