Re: [jacksongenealogy] Fw: ADDRESS BOOK VIRUS IS A HOAX

  • herbert gullatt
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
      This message is a HOAX the file jdbgmgr.exe is a valid micosoft file. Go to micosoft's website or mcafee or norton or whoever provides your security and they will tell you it is a HOAX. Always check with microsoft or you security service first!

      Ralph Jackson <rajac2@...> wrote:I don't know what is about but it seems authentic. I am not taking any chances. I checked my files and found the file that was supposed to be infected on my computer. Don't know where it came from. I deleted the file and am forwarding this message to all on my email address file. The instructions are easy to follow.

      Ralph Jackson

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
        You can go to Window Update under the start menu and it will replace this
        JAVA script - you may think that everything is working but find problems
        later. The Window Update program will detect the loss of the file and
        replace it for your browser to work properly.

        cuz Jimmie

      • Bill Bullard
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
          Check out this site! ....Bill

          http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/jdbgmgr.htm

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
            yes Jimmie you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            Geri Beaver
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
              This is a hoax. I had this same message some months ago. Go to the
              Microsoft web page to get the jdbgmgr.exe extension and put it back on your
              computer. The web sight will also explain that this is a hoax. It does look
              like a rabbit or some animal, but it is from Microsoft. If you put this
              extension in the recycle bin it won't shut your computer down, but it may
              cause the performance of windows to lag.

              Jason Statum

            • Richard Matthews
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                I know we are all trying to be helpful about this subject, but please let's
                not make this into a computer virus forum. If anyone on the list has any
                such information or questions about virus in the future, I will be glad to
                check it out and then pass it on to the list if warranted.

                There is more information online, on other sites about computers and their
                ailments, than anyone can ever read, but most of the members on our list
                want information from our mailing list only pertaining to Jackson County
                Alabama genealogy.

                Thanks again for being a good bunch of folks to be on a mailing list with.

                Richard
              • Richard Matthews
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                  http://www.willowarchives.com/inprint/abmurder.htm

                  Thoght some of you might find this of interest
                • John Moore
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                    Please, drop it! I’m getting more HOAX than roots messages.
                    Before “warning” of a hoax, check the Norton site or another anti-virus to see if
                    it is real. Those companies are way ahead of ANY warnings you’ll get in ANY e-mail
                    message.

                  • Geri
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                      amen to that

                      I know we are all trying to be helpful about this subject, but please let's
                      not make this into a computer virus forum. If anyone on the list has any
                      such information or questions about virus in the future, I will be glad to
                      check it out and then pass it on to the list if warranted.

                      There is more information online, on other sites about computers and their
                      ailments, than anyone can ever read, but most of the members on our list
                      want information from our mailing list only pertaining to Jackson County
                      Alabama genealogy.

                      Thanks again for being a good bunch of folks to be on a mailing list with.

                      Richard

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Richard Matthews
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                        (1) Jackson County, AL: 1880-1915

                        Thomas Newton, of Jackson county, has lost his son—strayed or
                        stolen. Small in size, very talkative and is 16 years old. If you
                        should see young Tom drop his anxious father a card or note at
                        Carpenter, Jackson county, Alabama. (Moulton Advertiser 3 May 1883)

                        A man was sent to the Scottsboro poor house last week who has one
                        son an eminent Presbyterian divine in Texas, and another son who is
                        a prosperous dentist. (Moulton Advertiser 25 Feb 1886)

                        D. W. Speak and C. W. Brown have formed a law partnership at
                        Scottsboro.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 21 Jan 1886)

                        Harry Henderson, brother-in-law of Jas. Armstrong of the Scottsboro
                        Citizen, has been appointed mail agent on the M. & C. R.R. (Moulton
                        Advertiser 22 Apr 1886)

                        The Jackson county jail contains 17 prisoners, 13 of whom occupy one
                        cell 6 x 18.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 31 Jul 1884)

                        The four Skelton boys, John, Jim ___ and Tot, who killed Ross at
                        Stephenson in February last, have been indicted by the grand jury of
                        Jackson county for murder in the first degree. (Moulton Advertiser
                        22 Mar 1894)

                        Judge John B. Tally has been charged by the grand jury of Jackson
                        county with complicity in the killing of R. _. Ross by the Skelton
                        boys. (Moulton Advertiser 22 Mar 1894)

                        Dr. Europe Culpepper was stabbed to death by Coley Sparks at
                        Scottsboro. An old grudge was was [sic] the cause of the tragedy.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 29 Sep 1915) (Note: Dr. Culpepper was born 12
                        Jun 1884, died 23 Sep 1915. Coley Sparks was mentally ill.)

                        Thos. Duncan was killed by lightning, in the door of his saloon, in
                        Brownsboro, yesterday afternoon. -Scottsboro Herald (Moulton
                        Advertiser 17 Jul 1884)

                        W. A. B. Carter was foully murdered, near Scottsboro a few days ago,
                        by Sol Waller and W. U. Walker. They made him drunk, then cut and
                        shot him to pieces. The brutes are in jail. (Moulton Advertiser 24
                        May 1883)

                        A Baptist church, at Kirby's Creek, in Jackson county, was burned by
                        incendiaries on the 1st. They entered the pastor's orchard and
                        destroyed his fine fruit trees. (Moulton Advertiser 15 Jan 1885)

                        Uncle Dicky Wood, aged over 80 years, died in Jackson county one day
                        last week.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 18 Dec 1884)

                        Benj. Franks, who shot and killed Jasper Jones, Register in
                        Chancery, of Jackson county, in 1878, was captured in Tennessee, two
                        weeks ago, and is now in jail at Scottsboro. (Moulton Advertiser 18
                        Mar 1880).

                        Taylor Banks will be hanged in Jackson county the 27th of July, and
                        Frances Wood sent to the penitentiary for life—both convicted of
                        murdering Turner Wood. (Moulton Advertiser 21 Jun 1883)

                        To-morrow (Friday) is set for the hanging of Taylor Backs, at
                        Scottsboro, who was tried and convicted of murder at the late term
                        of the Jackson county circuit court. (Moulton Advertiser 26 Jul
                        1883) (Note: App. should be Banks.)

                        -----------

                        Hon. Wm. H. Robinson, one of Jackson county's favorite sons, is
                        announced for Congress, in this week's paper. We also publish a card
                        of his, in which he gives a brief statement of his political views.
                        Mr. Robinson is an able lawyer, a fine scholar, and a true Democrat.
                        He was a brave soldier in the war, and lost a leg (we are told) in
                        defense of the South. He is said to be a man of great firmness and
                        energy, and would no doubt, make a useful and attentive
                        Representative. (Moulton Advertiser 3 Apr 1884)

                        The following card, from Rev. Lee Whitten, dated at Scottsboro,
                        March 2, and was received too late for our last issue: Capt. W. H.
                        Robinson, it is supposed, took his own life this morning at the
                        Harris House. He was found dead in bed, by Capt. J. E. Brown, his
                        law partner, with a large dirk driven through his heart, his right
                        hand clenching it with a terrible grasp. He had written in Florence,
                        yesterday, a letter of withdrawal from the Congressional race. He
                        came home immediately. A pall of sadness drapes our whole town by
                        reason of this awful tragedy. (Moulton Advertiser 10 Apr 1884)

                        Last week we announced Capt. W. H. Robinson for Congress—this week
                        we announce his death. "In the midst of life we are in death."
                        (Moulton Advertiser 10 Apr 1884)

                        -----------

                        J. M. Skelton, one of North Alabama's most widely known political
                        campaign managers, committed suicide in his store at Scottsboro.
                        Despondency over ill health was the cause. (Moulton Advertiser 29
                        Sep 1915)

                        We regret to learn of Judge G. D. Cambell's [sic] sad afflictions. A
                        cataract is forming over each eye, and he is now entirely blind. The
                        Scottsboro Citizen says he complains not, but submits to the
                        inevitable with Christian resignation. Judge Campbell is nearing his
                        79th birthday, was once a citizen of this place and many of our
                        older citizens remember him as a perfect gentleman. (Moulton
                        Advertiser 1 May 1902)

                        Hoy Cox, while hunting in Jackson county, accidentally shot himself
                        in the abdomen, and but little hope is entertained for his recovery.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)

                        Mrs. Lizzie Shelton, a lady of high social standing in Scottsboro,
                        while walking across the street last Wednesday, seeing Hugh Bynum at
                        a distance, called him to her side, drew a pistol and shot him
                        through the shoulder. She fired twice again without effect, and then
                        surrendered to the authorities. She claims that Bynum had insulted
                        her. — Decatur News (Moulton Advertiser 4 Jun 1885) (Note: Poss
                        typo for Skelton.)

                        M. L. Bryant, a prominent citizen of Scottsboro, took his own life.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)

                        M. L. Bryant, a wealthy farmer, committed suicide by hanging himself
                        in Jackson county.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 22 Feb 1910)

                        The Scottsboro Citizen says: "Up the railroad a few days since, the
                        express train ran into a flock of wild turkeys, and killed several.
                        The engineer stopped the train and picked up two for home eating."
                        (Moulton Advertiser 13 Dec 1883)

                        Dr. D.A. Padgett died in Jackson county last week. (Moulton
                        Advertiser 9 Jun 1887)

                        Mrs. Mary Jones, of Jackson county, celebrated her one hundredth
                        birthday on the 14th of July. Mrs. Jones and the Junior were born on
                        the same day of the month, but the good woman is just 65 years older
                        than we are. The 14th of July is lucky for a person to be born on.
                        People born on that day always live to be over a hundred years old,
                        and generally accumulate a large fortune. (Moulton Advertiser 26
                        Jul 1883) Note: Whenever the Moulton Advertiser referred to the
                        Junior, it meant Jourd White, younger brother of Dewitt Clinton
                        White, the Senior.

                        N. H. Snodgrass of Jackson county lost 1400 bushels of corn by fire
                        one day last week.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 8 Apr 1886)

                        J. H. Gregory, the present circuit clerk of Jackson county, proposes
                        to serve the people again in that capacity. He is a one-armed hero,
                        makes a fine officer and we hope the good people of that county will
                        retain him as Clerk.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 29 Jan 1880)

                        John Garland, an influential farmer of High Jackson, after spending
                        several weeks near this place, returned to his home on Saturday
                        last. He says old Jackson would give Col. J. B. Moore a rousing
                        majority for congress. Ditto for the District. (Moulton Advertiser
                        22 Jan 1880)

                        Frank Lovelady was robbed of $900.00 by highwaymen in Jackson
                        County.
                        (Moulton Advertiser 27 Jan 1915)

                        Hon. J. D. French, one of the Representatives in the Legislature
                        from High Jackson, was in Moulton on Saturday last and gave the
                        Advertiser a pleasant call. (Moulton Advertiser 17 Jan 1889)

                        John D. French reports an enjoyable trip to his old home in Jackson
                        county, and a fine time at the State Farmers' meeting in
                        Birmingham. (Moulton Advertiser 8 Sep 1915)

                        Mr. Bain, who has been confined in the Jackson co., jail, charged
                        and convicted of murdering a Mr. Johnson, in Marshall county several
                        years ago, is out on bail. (Moulton Advertiser 20 Mar 1884)
                      • Karl Plenge
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                          Some of these are quite funny, many are quite sad, but all are appreciated,
                          and I know it was a lot of work to type them all in. Thank you for sharing
                          them with us, it is quite likely someone will see a name they need in one of
                          them.
                        • Sanders, Dennis R.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                            Extremely interesting, thanks for submitting
                            Dennis Sanders
                            Union, Ky.

[...]

                            Scottsboro. An old grudge was [sic] the cause of the tragedy.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Pat Alexander
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                              Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
                              http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html

                              I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last week on jacksongenealogy.

                              Thanks,

                              Pat Alexander
                              Jacksonville, AL
                                I have no problem with it. The files have been published elsewhere on the
                                internet already.
                                Richard

                                On 7/6/05, Pat Alexander <walex1@...> wrote:

                                > Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast
                                > Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
                                > http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html
                                >
                                > I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson
                                > County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last
                                > week on jacksongenealogy.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Pat Alexander

                              • Sharon
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                  Thank you, Richard! It is great to be able to reach out and "touch" those
                                  days in Jackson County. I had been thankful that my grandmother, who grew up
                                  in Jackson County during the period of these articles, did not have to live
                                  in our crime-ridden century! Now I see that, although many things change
                                  throughout the decades, ...some things remain the same. As for these
                                  articles, if you find more, please continue to share. Thanks again. Sharon

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                    Sharon's comments and Richard's clippings reminded me of something I saw
                                    while going through the December 1881 editions of the Columbus, GA,
                                    newspaper on microfilm recently. I want to pass it on, both as a novelty,
                                    and also to ask if anyone has ever heard of this "tradition" elsewhere.

                                    The paper's columnist was harkening back to "the good old days" (he actually
                                    used that term, we only think it's a new term!) of approximately 20 years
                                    past when there was a tradition at Christmas (I believe on Christmas eve) of
                                    teens sneaking out of their homes, imbibing in "Christmas spirits," and then
                                    sneaking up outside the windows of unsuspecting sleeping citizens and
                                    scaring the bejeebers out of them by firing off firearms just outside their
                                    window.

                                    I am not sure why that constitutes "the good old days," I would be inclined
                                    to fire back if anyone had done that to me, but I am wondering if anyone
                                    else has ever heard of anything like this?
                                  • zrcb@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                      Richard
                                      I really like the old stories and obits that you are including in Jackson
                                      genealogy. If you ever run acrossan obit on Robert Boyd who died August 10
                                      1888 near Bellefonte. It is in the Progressive Age. I would appreciat it if
                                      you ran that. He was my Ggrandfather. My Ggrandmother was Mary Waller also of
                                      Jackson Co. Sure do wish I knew where they were buried. He died in 1888 and
                                      she died abt 1912
                                      both in Jackson Co Al.
                                      Thank You
                                      Chuck Boyd

                                    • Joy Smith
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 8, 2005
                                        Richard, Thank you. These were very interesting. When my sis & I went to Fayetteville a few months back, and looked at some old court records, we laughed our heads off at the wording of some of them.
                                        One man "maliciously, viciously, wickedly and will ill intent called ____ an SOB". Another man's wife, whom he treated with "the utmost honor and respect" ran off to a "bawdy house" in Nashville.... These are just 2 examples. We laugh now, but reporting (including court reporting) was high drama. Thanks. JOY