Re: [jacksongenealogy] Fw: ADDRESS BOOK VIRUS

  • Sheila McCloud
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 24, 2002
      Ralph, It's a hoax. Somebody already pulled this one on me. You'll delete
      a java script thing. I did it. Computer still works afterwards but made me
      mad.
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
        This message is a HOAX the file jdbgmgr.exe is a valid micosoft file. Go to micosoft's website or mcafee or norton or whoever provides your security and they will tell you it is a HOAX. Always check with microsoft or you security service first!

        Ralph Jackson <rajac2@...> wrote:I don't know what is about but it seems authentic. I am not taking any chances. I checked my files and found the file that was supposed to be infected on my computer. Don't know where it came from. I deleted the file and am forwarding this message to all on my email address file. The instructions are easy to follow.

        Ralph Jackson

        >THIS IS NOT A JOKE--PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS---
        >I HAVE RECEIVED A VIRUS BECAUSE MY NAME WAS IN SOMEONE'S ADDRESS BOOK. THE
        >VIRUS LAYS DORMAT FOR 14 DAYS SO DONT PANIC, JUST FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS
        >TO RID IT FROM YOUR SYSTEM.
        >1.CLICK ON START
        >2.CLICK ON FIND OR SEARCH, IN FILES OF FOLDERS
        >3.TYPE IN THE FOLLOWING---jdbgmgr.exe AND CLICK ON SEARCH NOW OR FIND.
        >4.IF YOU HAVE THE VIRUS, IT SHOULD POP UP, WITH A TEDDY BEAR ICON NEXT TO
        >IT.DO NOTOPEN IT!!!!! RIGHT CLICK ON IT AND DELETE THE FILE.
        >5.THEN, GO TO YOUR RECYCLE BIN AND DELETE IT FROM THERE.
        >6.FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK IF YOU HAD TO DELETE
        >THE VIRUS. IF YOU HAD IT, THEY HAVE IT AS WELL.
        > I AM VERY SORRY FOR THE TROUBLE, AS YOU MIGHT GUESS IT IS
        >UNINTENTIONAL.THE VIRUS IS INVISIBLE TO MCAFFEE AND NORTON ANTI-VIRUS.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • altafae@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
          You can go to Window Update under the start menu and it will replace this
          JAVA script - you may think that everything is working but find problems
          later. The Window Update program will detect the loss of the file and
          replace it for your browser to work properly.

          cuz Jimmie

        • Bill Bullard
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
            Check out this site! ....Bill

            http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/jdbgmgr.htm

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
              yes Jimmie you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              Geri Beaver
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                This is a hoax. I had this same message some months ago. Go to the
                Microsoft web page to get the jdbgmgr.exe extension and put it back on your
                computer. The web sight will also explain that this is a hoax. It does look
                like a rabbit or some animal, but it is from Microsoft. If you put this
                extension in the recycle bin it won't shut your computer down, but it may
                cause the performance of windows to lag.

                Jason Statum

              • Richard Matthews
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                  I know we are all trying to be helpful about this subject, but please let's
                  not make this into a computer virus forum. If anyone on the list has any
                  such information or questions about virus in the future, I will be glad to
                  check it out and then pass it on to the list if warranted.

                  There is more information online, on other sites about computers and their
                  ailments, than anyone can ever read, but most of the members on our list
                  want information from our mailing list only pertaining to Jackson County
                  Alabama genealogy.

                  Thanks again for being a good bunch of folks to be on a mailing list with.

                  Richard
                • Richard Matthews
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                    http://www.willowarchives.com/inprint/abmurder.htm

                    Thoght some of you might find this of interest
                  • John Moore
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                      Please, drop it! I’m getting more HOAX than roots messages.
                      Before “warning” of a hoax, check the Norton site or another anti-virus to see if
                      it is real. Those companies are way ahead of ANY warnings you’ll get in ANY e-mail
                      message.

                    • Geri
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                        amen to that

                        I know we are all trying to be helpful about this subject, but please let's
                        not make this into a computer virus forum. If anyone on the list has any
                        such information or questions about virus in the future, I will be glad to
                        check it out and then pass it on to the list if warranted.

                        There is more information online, on other sites about computers and their
                        ailments, than anyone can ever read, but most of the members on our list
                        want information from our mailing list only pertaining to Jackson County
                        Alabama genealogy.

                        Thanks again for being a good bunch of folks to be on a mailing list with.

                        Richard

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Richard Matthews
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 6 11:35 AM
                          (1) Jackson County, AL: 1880-1915

                          Thomas Newton, of Jackson county, has lost his son—strayed or
                          stolen. Small in size, very talkative and is 16 years old. If you
                          should see young Tom drop his anxious father a card or note at
                          Carpenter, Jackson county, Alabama. (Moulton Advertiser 3 May 1883)

                          A man was sent to the Scottsboro poor house last week who has one
                          son an eminent Presbyterian divine in Texas, and another son who is
                          a prosperous dentist. (Moulton Advertiser 25 Feb 1886)

                          D. W. Speak and C. W. Brown have formed a law partnership at
                          Scottsboro.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 21 Jan 1886)

                          Harry Henderson, brother-in-law of Jas. Armstrong of the Scottsboro
                          Citizen, has been appointed mail agent on the M. & C. R.R. (Moulton
                          Advertiser 22 Apr 1886)

                          The Jackson county jail contains 17 prisoners, 13 of whom occupy one
                          cell 6 x 18.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 31 Jul 1884)

                          The four Skelton boys, John, Jim ___ and Tot, who killed Ross at
                          Stephenson in February last, have been indicted by the grand jury of
                          Jackson county for murder in the first degree. (Moulton Advertiser
                          22 Mar 1894)

                          Judge John B. Tally has been charged by the grand jury of Jackson
                          county with complicity in the killing of R. _. Ross by the Skelton
                          boys. (Moulton Advertiser 22 Mar 1894)

                          Dr. Europe Culpepper was stabbed to death by Coley Sparks at
                          Scottsboro. An old grudge was was [sic] the cause of the tragedy.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 29 Sep 1915) (Note: Dr. Culpepper was born 12
                          Jun 1884, died 23 Sep 1915. Coley Sparks was mentally ill.)

                          Thos. Duncan was killed by lightning, in the door of his saloon, in
                          Brownsboro, yesterday afternoon. -Scottsboro Herald (Moulton
                          Advertiser 17 Jul 1884)

                          W. A. B. Carter was foully murdered, near Scottsboro a few days ago,
                          by Sol Waller and W. U. Walker. They made him drunk, then cut and
                          shot him to pieces. The brutes are in jail. (Moulton Advertiser 24
                          May 1883)

                          A Baptist church, at Kirby's Creek, in Jackson county, was burned by
                          incendiaries on the 1st. They entered the pastor's orchard and
                          destroyed his fine fruit trees. (Moulton Advertiser 15 Jan 1885)

                          Uncle Dicky Wood, aged over 80 years, died in Jackson county one day
                          last week.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 18 Dec 1884)

                          Benj. Franks, who shot and killed Jasper Jones, Register in
                          Chancery, of Jackson county, in 1878, was captured in Tennessee, two
                          weeks ago, and is now in jail at Scottsboro. (Moulton Advertiser 18
                          Mar 1880).

                          Taylor Banks will be hanged in Jackson county the 27th of July, and
                          Frances Wood sent to the penitentiary for life—both convicted of
                          murdering Turner Wood. (Moulton Advertiser 21 Jun 1883)

                          To-morrow (Friday) is set for the hanging of Taylor Backs, at
                          Scottsboro, who was tried and convicted of murder at the late term
                          of the Jackson county circuit court. (Moulton Advertiser 26 Jul
                          1883) (Note: App. should be Banks.)

                          -----------

                          Hon. Wm. H. Robinson, one of Jackson county's favorite sons, is
                          announced for Congress, in this week's paper. We also publish a card
                          of his, in which he gives a brief statement of his political views.
                          Mr. Robinson is an able lawyer, a fine scholar, and a true Democrat.
                          He was a brave soldier in the war, and lost a leg (we are told) in
                          defense of the South. He is said to be a man of great firmness and
                          energy, and would no doubt, make a useful and attentive
                          Representative. (Moulton Advertiser 3 Apr 1884)

                          The following card, from Rev. Lee Whitten, dated at Scottsboro,
                          March 2, and was received too late for our last issue: Capt. W. H.
                          Robinson, it is supposed, took his own life this morning at the
                          Harris House. He was found dead in bed, by Capt. J. E. Brown, his
                          law partner, with a large dirk driven through his heart, his right
                          hand clenching it with a terrible grasp. He had written in Florence,
                          yesterday, a letter of withdrawal from the Congressional race. He
                          came home immediately. A pall of sadness drapes our whole town by
                          reason of this awful tragedy. (Moulton Advertiser 10 Apr 1884)

                          Last week we announced Capt. W. H. Robinson for Congress—this week
                          we announce his death. "In the midst of life we are in death."
                          (Moulton Advertiser 10 Apr 1884)

                          -----------

                          J. M. Skelton, one of North Alabama's most widely known political
                          campaign managers, committed suicide in his store at Scottsboro.
                          Despondency over ill health was the cause. (Moulton Advertiser 29
                          Sep 1915)

                          We regret to learn of Judge G. D. Cambell's [sic] sad afflictions. A
                          cataract is forming over each eye, and he is now entirely blind. The
                          Scottsboro Citizen says he complains not, but submits to the
                          inevitable with Christian resignation. Judge Campbell is nearing his
                          79th birthday, was once a citizen of this place and many of our
                          older citizens remember him as a perfect gentleman. (Moulton
                          Advertiser 1 May 1902)

                          Hoy Cox, while hunting in Jackson county, accidentally shot himself
                          in the abdomen, and but little hope is entertained for his recovery.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)

                          Mrs. Lizzie Shelton, a lady of high social standing in Scottsboro,
                          while walking across the street last Wednesday, seeing Hugh Bynum at
                          a distance, called him to her side, drew a pistol and shot him
                          through the shoulder. She fired twice again without effect, and then
                          surrendered to the authorities. She claims that Bynum had insulted
                          her. — Decatur News (Moulton Advertiser 4 Jun 1885) (Note: Poss
                          typo for Skelton.)

                          M. L. Bryant, a prominent citizen of Scottsboro, took his own life.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)

                          M. L. Bryant, a wealthy farmer, committed suicide by hanging himself
                          in Jackson county.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 22 Feb 1910)

                          The Scottsboro Citizen says: "Up the railroad a few days since, the
                          express train ran into a flock of wild turkeys, and killed several.
                          The engineer stopped the train and picked up two for home eating."
                          (Moulton Advertiser 13 Dec 1883)

                          Dr. D.A. Padgett died in Jackson county last week. (Moulton
                          Advertiser 9 Jun 1887)

                          Mrs. Mary Jones, of Jackson county, celebrated her one hundredth
                          birthday on the 14th of July. Mrs. Jones and the Junior were born on
                          the same day of the month, but the good woman is just 65 years older
                          than we are. The 14th of July is lucky for a person to be born on.
                          People born on that day always live to be over a hundred years old,
                          and generally accumulate a large fortune. (Moulton Advertiser 26
                          Jul 1883) Note: Whenever the Moulton Advertiser referred to the
                          Junior, it meant Jourd White, younger brother of Dewitt Clinton
                          White, the Senior.

                          N. H. Snodgrass of Jackson county lost 1400 bushels of corn by fire
                          one day last week.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 8 Apr 1886)

                          J. H. Gregory, the present circuit clerk of Jackson county, proposes
                          to serve the people again in that capacity. He is a one-armed hero,
                          makes a fine officer and we hope the good people of that county will
                          retain him as Clerk.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 29 Jan 1880)

                          John Garland, an influential farmer of High Jackson, after spending
                          several weeks near this place, returned to his home on Saturday
                          last. He says old Jackson would give Col. J. B. Moore a rousing
                          majority for congress. Ditto for the District. (Moulton Advertiser
                          22 Jan 1880)

                          Frank Lovelady was robbed of $900.00 by highwaymen in Jackson
                          County.
                          (Moulton Advertiser 27 Jan 1915)

                          Hon. J. D. French, one of the Representatives in the Legislature
                          from High Jackson, was in Moulton on Saturday last and gave the
                          Advertiser a pleasant call. (Moulton Advertiser 17 Jan 1889)

                          John D. French reports an enjoyable trip to his old home in Jackson
                          county, and a fine time at the State Farmers' meeting in
                          Birmingham. (Moulton Advertiser 8 Sep 1915)

                          Mr. Bain, who has been confined in the Jackson co., jail, charged
                          and convicted of murdering a Mr. Johnson, in Marshall county several
                          years ago, is out on bail. (Moulton Advertiser 20 Mar 1884)
                        • Karl Plenge
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6 11:48 AM
                            Some of these are quite funny, many are quite sad, but all are appreciated,
                            and I know it was a lot of work to type them all in. Thank you for sharing
                            them with us, it is quite likely someone will see a name they need in one of
                            them.
                          • Sanders, Dennis R.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6 12:11 PM
                              Extremely interesting, thanks for submitting
                              Dennis Sanders
                              Union, Ky.

[...]

                              Scottsboro. An old grudge was [sic] the cause of the tragedy.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Pat Alexander
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 6 1:13 PM
                                Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
                                http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html

                                I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last week on jacksongenealogy.

                                Thanks,

                                Pat Alexander
                                Jacksonville, AL
                                  I have no problem with it. The files have been published elsewhere on the
                                  internet already.
                                  Richard

                                  On 7/6/05, Pat Alexander <walex1@...> wrote:

                                  > Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast
                                  > Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
                                  > http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html
                                  >
                                  > I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson
                                  > County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last
                                  > week on jacksongenealogy.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Pat Alexander

                                • Sharon
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 6 2:15 PM
                                    Thank you, Richard! It is great to be able to reach out and "touch" those
                                    days in Jackson County. I had been thankful that my grandmother, who grew up
                                    in Jackson County during the period of these articles, did not have to live
                                    in our crime-ridden century! Now I see that, although many things change
                                    throughout the decades, ...some things remain the same. As for these
                                    articles, if you find more, please continue to share. Thanks again. Sharon

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 6 2:22 PM
                                      Sharon's comments and Richard's clippings reminded me of something I saw
                                      while going through the December 1881 editions of the Columbus, GA,
                                      newspaper on microfilm recently. I want to pass it on, both as a novelty,
                                      and also to ask if anyone has ever heard of this "tradition" elsewhere.

                                      The paper's columnist was harkening back to "the good old days" (he actually
                                      used that term, we only think it's a new term!) of approximately 20 years
                                      past when there was a tradition at Christmas (I believe on Christmas eve) of
                                      teens sneaking out of their homes, imbibing in "Christmas spirits," and then
                                      sneaking up outside the windows of unsuspecting sleeping citizens and
                                      scaring the bejeebers out of them by firing off firearms just outside their
                                      window.

                                      I am not sure why that constitutes "the good old days," I would be inclined
                                      to fire back if anyone had done that to me, but I am wondering if anyone
                                      else has ever heard of anything like this?
                                    • zrcb@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 6 2:36 PM
                                        Richard
                                        I really like the old stories and obits that you are including in Jackson
                                        genealogy. If you ever run acrossan obit on Robert Boyd who died August 10
                                        1888 near Bellefonte. It is in the Progressive Age. I would appreciat it if
                                        you ran that. He was my Ggrandfather. My Ggrandmother was Mary Waller also of
                                        Jackson Co. Sure do wish I knew where they were buried. He died in 1888 and
                                        she died abt 1912
                                        both in Jackson Co Al.
                                        Thank You
                                        Chuck Boyd

                                      • Joy Smith
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 8 11:51 AM
                                          Richard, Thank you. These were very interesting. When my sis & I went to Fayetteville a few months back, and looked at some old court records, we laughed our heads off at the wording of some of them.
                                          One man "maliciously, viciously, wickedly and will ill intent called ____ an SOB". Another man's wife, whom he treated with "the utmost honor and respect" ran off to a "bawdy house" in Nashville.... These are just 2 examples. We laugh now, but reporting (including court reporting) was high drama. Thanks. JOY