Re: [jacksongenealogy] Fw: ADDRESS BOOK VIRUS

  • Sheila McCloud
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 24, 2002
      Ralph, It's a hoax. Somebody already pulled this one on me. You'll delete
      a java script thing. I did it. Computer still works afterwards but made me
      mad.
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 27, 2002

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 27, 2002
          This IS A HOAX - it is a legitimate JAVA file for Microsoft and if you look
          at the properties of the file you will see a Microsoft copyright and trust
          symbol.

          cuz Jimmie
          Elijah Brazier 1776 [Settled] 1809
          Elijah Brazier Jr 1800
          George Washington Brazier [Brashear]

        • herbert gullatt
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
            This message is a HOAX the file jdbgmgr.exe is a valid micosoft file. Go to micosoft's website or mcafee or norton or whoever provides your security and they will tell you it is a HOAX. Always check with microsoft or you security service first!

            Ralph Jackson <rajac2@...> wrote:I don't know what is about but it seems authentic. I am not taking any chances. I checked my files and found the file that was supposed to be infected on my computer. Don't know where it came from. I deleted the file and am forwarding this message to all on my email address file. The instructions are easy to follow.

            Ralph Jackson

            >THIS IS NOT A JOKE--PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS---
            >I HAVE RECEIVED A VIRUS BECAUSE MY NAME WAS IN SOMEONE'S ADDRESS BOOK. THE
            >VIRUS LAYS DORMAT FOR 14 DAYS SO DONT PANIC, JUST FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS
            >TO RID IT FROM YOUR SYSTEM.
            >1.CLICK ON START
            >2.CLICK ON FIND OR SEARCH, IN FILES OF FOLDERS
            >3.TYPE IN THE FOLLOWING---jdbgmgr.exe AND CLICK ON SEARCH NOW OR FIND.
            >4.IF YOU HAVE THE VIRUS, IT SHOULD POP UP, WITH A TEDDY BEAR ICON NEXT TO
            >IT.DO NOTOPEN IT!!!!! RIGHT CLICK ON IT AND DELETE THE FILE.
            >5.THEN, GO TO YOUR RECYCLE BIN AND DELETE IT FROM THERE.
            >6.FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK IF YOU HAD TO DELETE
            >THE VIRUS. IF YOU HAD IT, THEY HAVE IT AS WELL.
            > I AM VERY SORRY FOR THE TROUBLE, AS YOU MIGHT GUESS IT IS
            >UNINTENTIONAL.THE VIRUS IS INVISIBLE TO MCAFFEE AND NORTON ANTI-VIRUS.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • altafae@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
              You can go to Window Update under the start menu and it will replace this
              JAVA script - you may think that everything is working but find problems
              later. The Window Update program will detect the loss of the file and
              replace it for your browser to work properly.

              cuz Jimmie

            • Bill Bullard
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
                Check out this site! ....Bill

                http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/jdbgmgr.htm

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 28, 2002
                  yes Jimmie you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                  Geri Beaver
                  This IS A HOAX - it is a legitimate JAVA file for Microsoft and if you look
                  at the properties of the file you will see a Microsoft copyright and trust
                  symbol.

                  cuz Jimmie
                  Elijah Brazier 1776 [Settled] 1809
                  Elijah Brazier Jr 1800
                  George Washington Brazier [Brashear]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • LElectrica@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                    This is a hoax. I had this same message some months ago. Go to the
                    Microsoft web page to get the jdbgmgr.exe extension and put it back on your
                    computer. The web sight will also explain that this is a hoax. It does look
                    like a rabbit or some animal, but it is from Microsoft. If you put this
                    extension in the recycle bin it won't shut your computer down, but it may
                    cause the performance of windows to lag.

                    Jason Statum

                  • Richard Matthews
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                      I know we are all trying to be helpful about this subject, but please let's
                      not make this into a computer virus forum. If anyone on the list has any
                      such information or questions about virus in the future, I will be glad to
                      check it out and then pass it on to the list if warranted.

                      There is more information online, on other sites about computers and their
                      ailments, than anyone can ever read, but most of the members on our list
                      want information from our mailing list only pertaining to Jackson County
                      Alabama genealogy.

                      Thanks again for being a good bunch of folks to be on a mailing list with.

                      Richard
                    • Richard Matthews
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                        http://www.willowarchives.com/inprint/abmurder.htm

                        Thoght some of you might find this of interest
                      • John Moore
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                          Please, drop it! I’m getting more HOAX than roots messages.
                          Before “warning” of a hoax, check the Norton site or another anti-virus to see if
                          it is real. Those companies are way ahead of ANY warnings you’ll get in ANY e-mail
                          message.

                        • Geri
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 29, 2002
                            amen to that

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                              (1) Jackson County, AL: 1880-1915

                              Thomas Newton, of Jackson county, has lost his son—strayed or
                              stolen. Small in size, very talkative and is 16 years old. If you
                              should see young Tom drop his anxious father a card or note at
                              Carpenter, Jackson county, Alabama. (Moulton Advertiser 3 May 1883)

                              A man was sent to the Scottsboro poor house last week who has one
                              son an eminent Presbyterian divine in Texas, and another son who is
                              a prosperous dentist. (Moulton Advertiser 25 Feb 1886)

                              D. W. Speak and C. W. Brown have formed a law partnership at
                              Scottsboro.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 21 Jan 1886)

                              Harry Henderson, brother-in-law of Jas. Armstrong of the Scottsboro
                              Citizen, has been appointed mail agent on the M. & C. R.R. (Moulton
                              Advertiser 22 Apr 1886)

                              The Jackson county jail contains 17 prisoners, 13 of whom occupy one
                              cell 6 x 18.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 31 Jul 1884)

                              The four Skelton boys, John, Jim ___ and Tot, who killed Ross at
                              Stephenson in February last, have been indicted by the grand jury of
                              Jackson county for murder in the first degree. (Moulton Advertiser
                              22 Mar 1894)

                              Judge John B. Tally has been charged by the grand jury of Jackson
                              county with complicity in the killing of R. _. Ross by the Skelton
                              boys. (Moulton Advertiser 22 Mar 1894)

                              Dr. Europe Culpepper was stabbed to death by Coley Sparks at
                              Scottsboro. An old grudge was was [sic] the cause of the tragedy.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 29 Sep 1915) (Note: Dr. Culpepper was born 12
                              Jun 1884, died 23 Sep 1915. Coley Sparks was mentally ill.)

                              Thos. Duncan was killed by lightning, in the door of his saloon, in
                              Brownsboro, yesterday afternoon. -Scottsboro Herald (Moulton
                              Advertiser 17 Jul 1884)

                              W. A. B. Carter was foully murdered, near Scottsboro a few days ago,
                              by Sol Waller and W. U. Walker. They made him drunk, then cut and
                              shot him to pieces. The brutes are in jail. (Moulton Advertiser 24
                              May 1883)

                              A Baptist church, at Kirby's Creek, in Jackson county, was burned by
                              incendiaries on the 1st. They entered the pastor's orchard and
                              destroyed his fine fruit trees. (Moulton Advertiser 15 Jan 1885)

                              Uncle Dicky Wood, aged over 80 years, died in Jackson county one day
                              last week.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 18 Dec 1884)

                              Benj. Franks, who shot and killed Jasper Jones, Register in
                              Chancery, of Jackson county, in 1878, was captured in Tennessee, two
                              weeks ago, and is now in jail at Scottsboro. (Moulton Advertiser 18
                              Mar 1880).

                              Taylor Banks will be hanged in Jackson county the 27th of July, and
                              Frances Wood sent to the penitentiary for life—both convicted of
                              murdering Turner Wood. (Moulton Advertiser 21 Jun 1883)

                              To-morrow (Friday) is set for the hanging of Taylor Backs, at
                              Scottsboro, who was tried and convicted of murder at the late term
                              of the Jackson county circuit court. (Moulton Advertiser 26 Jul
                              1883) (Note: App. should be Banks.)

                              -----------

                              Hon. Wm. H. Robinson, one of Jackson county's favorite sons, is
                              announced for Congress, in this week's paper. We also publish a card
                              of his, in which he gives a brief statement of his political views.
                              Mr. Robinson is an able lawyer, a fine scholar, and a true Democrat.
                              He was a brave soldier in the war, and lost a leg (we are told) in
                              defense of the South. He is said to be a man of great firmness and
                              energy, and would no doubt, make a useful and attentive
                              Representative. (Moulton Advertiser 3 Apr 1884)

                              The following card, from Rev. Lee Whitten, dated at Scottsboro,
                              March 2, and was received too late for our last issue: Capt. W. H.
                              Robinson, it is supposed, took his own life this morning at the
                              Harris House. He was found dead in bed, by Capt. J. E. Brown, his
                              law partner, with a large dirk driven through his heart, his right
                              hand clenching it with a terrible grasp. He had written in Florence,
                              yesterday, a letter of withdrawal from the Congressional race. He
                              came home immediately. A pall of sadness drapes our whole town by
                              reason of this awful tragedy. (Moulton Advertiser 10 Apr 1884)

                              Last week we announced Capt. W. H. Robinson for Congress—this week
                              we announce his death. "In the midst of life we are in death."
                              (Moulton Advertiser 10 Apr 1884)

                              -----------

                              J. M. Skelton, one of North Alabama's most widely known political
                              campaign managers, committed suicide in his store at Scottsboro.
                              Despondency over ill health was the cause. (Moulton Advertiser 29
                              Sep 1915)

                              We regret to learn of Judge G. D. Cambell's [sic] sad afflictions. A
                              cataract is forming over each eye, and he is now entirely blind. The
                              Scottsboro Citizen says he complains not, but submits to the
                              inevitable with Christian resignation. Judge Campbell is nearing his
                              79th birthday, was once a citizen of this place and many of our
                              older citizens remember him as a perfect gentleman. (Moulton
                              Advertiser 1 May 1902)

                              Hoy Cox, while hunting in Jackson county, accidentally shot himself
                              in the abdomen, and but little hope is entertained for his recovery.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)

                              Mrs. Lizzie Shelton, a lady of high social standing in Scottsboro,
                              while walking across the street last Wednesday, seeing Hugh Bynum at
                              a distance, called him to her side, drew a pistol and shot him
                              through the shoulder. She fired twice again without effect, and then
                              surrendered to the authorities. She claims that Bynum had insulted
                              her. — Decatur News (Moulton Advertiser 4 Jun 1885) (Note: Poss
                              typo for Skelton.)

                              M. L. Bryant, a prominent citizen of Scottsboro, took his own life.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 1 Mar 1910)

                              M. L. Bryant, a wealthy farmer, committed suicide by hanging himself
                              in Jackson county.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 22 Feb 1910)

                              The Scottsboro Citizen says: "Up the railroad a few days since, the
                              express train ran into a flock of wild turkeys, and killed several.
                              The engineer stopped the train and picked up two for home eating."
                              (Moulton Advertiser 13 Dec 1883)

                              Dr. D.A. Padgett died in Jackson county last week. (Moulton
                              Advertiser 9 Jun 1887)

                              Mrs. Mary Jones, of Jackson county, celebrated her one hundredth
                              birthday on the 14th of July. Mrs. Jones and the Junior were born on
                              the same day of the month, but the good woman is just 65 years older
                              than we are. The 14th of July is lucky for a person to be born on.
                              People born on that day always live to be over a hundred years old,
                              and generally accumulate a large fortune. (Moulton Advertiser 26
                              Jul 1883) Note: Whenever the Moulton Advertiser referred to the
                              Junior, it meant Jourd White, younger brother of Dewitt Clinton
                              White, the Senior.

                              N. H. Snodgrass of Jackson county lost 1400 bushels of corn by fire
                              one day last week.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 8 Apr 1886)

                              J. H. Gregory, the present circuit clerk of Jackson county, proposes
                              to serve the people again in that capacity. He is a one-armed hero,
                              makes a fine officer and we hope the good people of that county will
                              retain him as Clerk.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 29 Jan 1880)

                              John Garland, an influential farmer of High Jackson, after spending
                              several weeks near this place, returned to his home on Saturday
                              last. He says old Jackson would give Col. J. B. Moore a rousing
                              majority for congress. Ditto for the District. (Moulton Advertiser
                              22 Jan 1880)

                              Frank Lovelady was robbed of $900.00 by highwaymen in Jackson
                              County.
                              (Moulton Advertiser 27 Jan 1915)

                              Hon. J. D. French, one of the Representatives in the Legislature
                              from High Jackson, was in Moulton on Saturday last and gave the
                              Advertiser a pleasant call. (Moulton Advertiser 17 Jan 1889)

                              John D. French reports an enjoyable trip to his old home in Jackson
                              county, and a fine time at the State Farmers' meeting in
                              Birmingham. (Moulton Advertiser 8 Sep 1915)

                              Mr. Bain, who has been confined in the Jackson co., jail, charged
                              and convicted of murdering a Mr. Johnson, in Marshall county several
                              years ago, is out on bail. (Moulton Advertiser 20 Mar 1884)
                            • Karl Plenge
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                Some of these are quite funny, many are quite sad, but all are appreciated,
                                and I know it was a lot of work to type them all in. Thank you for sharing
                                them with us, it is quite likely someone will see a name they need in one of
                                them.
                              • Sanders, Dennis R.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                  Extremely interesting, thanks for submitting
                                  Dennis Sanders
                                  Union, Ky.

[...]

                                  Scottsboro. An old grudge was [sic] the cause of the tragedy.

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Pat Alexander
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                    Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
                                    http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html

                                    I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last week on jacksongenealogy.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Pat Alexander
                                    Jacksonville, AL
                                      I have no problem with it. The files have been published elsewhere on the
                                      internet already.
                                      Richard

                                      On 7/6/05, Pat Alexander <walex1@...> wrote:

                                      > Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast
                                      > Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
                                      > http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html
                                      >
                                      > I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson
                                      > County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last
                                      > week on jacksongenealogy.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      >
                                      > Pat Alexander

                                    • Sharon
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                        Thank you, Richard! It is great to be able to reach out and "touch" those
                                        days in Jackson County. I had been thankful that my grandmother, who grew up
                                        in Jackson County during the period of these articles, did not have to live
                                        in our crime-ridden century! Now I see that, although many things change
                                        throughout the decades, ...some things remain the same. As for these
                                        articles, if you find more, please continue to share. Thanks again. Sharon

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                          Sharon's comments and Richard's clippings reminded me of something I saw
                                          while going through the December 1881 editions of the Columbus, GA,
                                          newspaper on microfilm recently. I want to pass it on, both as a novelty,
                                          and also to ask if anyone has ever heard of this "tradition" elsewhere.

                                          The paper's columnist was harkening back to "the good old days" (he actually
                                          used that term, we only think it's a new term!) of approximately 20 years
                                          past when there was a tradition at Christmas (I believe on Christmas eve) of
                                          teens sneaking out of their homes, imbibing in "Christmas spirits," and then
                                          sneaking up outside the windows of unsuspecting sleeping citizens and
                                          scaring the bejeebers out of them by firing off firearms just outside their
                                          window.

                                          I am not sure why that constitutes "the good old days," I would be inclined
                                          to fire back if anyone had done that to me, but I am wondering if anyone
                                          else has ever heard of anything like this?
                                        • zrcb@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                                            Richard
                                            I really like the old stories and obits that you are including in Jackson
                                            genealogy. If you ever run acrossan obit on Robert Boyd who died August 10
                                            1888 near Bellefonte. It is in the Progressive Age. I would appreciat it if
                                            you ran that. He was my Ggrandfather. My Ggrandmother was Mary Waller also of
                                            Jackson Co. Sure do wish I knew where they were buried. He died in 1888 and
                                            she died abt 1912
                                            both in Jackson Co Al.
                                            Thank You
                                            Chuck Boyd