Benjamin, Alexander, John Black - Miles Berry

  • Esther Pogue
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2002
      Delighted with so much activity on this list recently; I have three lines (1 Black, 2 Berry) stranded in Jackson County from 1830 through 1870; Thanks to all who have shared so much.

      Need help with my g-g-grandfather, Benjamin Blair Black, born in Ky 1808, listed in 1830 Jackson County census with wife, Rachel (Berry), born in TN, between 20-30), and son, John, born in AL in 1828. Living 2 doors away was Benjamin's brother, Alexander Black, and, nearby, Miles Berry, believed to be Rachel's father, although unproven. All were in T3, R3, Sec 21, 28 and 29, slightly northwest of Garth. Need help in proving that John Black, in same census, and in T3, R7, Sec 3, was the father of Benjamin. All land purchased in Sept 1830.

      Benjamin also bought land in T4. R5. Sec 1, north of Scottsboro - any suggestions how to determine when and how that was disposed? After Rachel's death (1836-August,1840) he married Jane Little in Benton County, AL, where Alexander and John are in the 1840 census; Benjamin not found in any 1840 census. He is listed in the 1850 census, Monroe Co, MS and was in Freestone Co TX by late 1851/52, where he died in 1889.

      Any suggestions or contacts greatly appreciated and will gladly exchange data. Thank you in advance. Esther Pogue

      I am delighted to see so much activity on this list; I have three lines stranded in Jackson County from 1830 and 1870 and keep hoping to see something that will be helpful. Thanks to all of you who have shared so much data; I saved much of it hoping it might be helpful someday.

      Need info on my g-g-grandfather, Benjamin Blair Black, born in Ky in 1808, is listed in the 1830 census of Jackson County with wife, Rachel (Berry), born in TN and between 20-30), and son, John, born in AL in 1828. Living 2 doors away was Benjamin's brother, Alexander Black, and, nearby, Miles Berry, whom I believe to be Rachel's father, although I am unable to prove that. They were all living in R3, T3, Sec 21, 28 and 29, slightly northwest of Garth. In the same census was John Black, whom I believe