Stewart/Holder

  • dunnsbnj@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2002
      My James Stewart was born NC abt 1790. He first appears in next door Dade
      County GA in 1840, census. He lived and died (1879) there. His wife was
      Lucy b GA abt 1806. They had two daughters; Nancy b Alabama 1821 & Elizabeth
      b Alabama 1823. Nancy married Jackson Carroll and Elizabeth married James
      Henry Quinton, both in Dade. The only other clue I have is in the 1850
      census (after Nancy & Elizabeth left home) appears Nancy Holder, age 14, b
      Alabama abt 1836, at home with James & Lucy Stewart. That was the only time
      she appeared. There was not a Holder family in Dade then. ANY help would be
      greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bill
    • bdun1us
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2003
        My James Stewart was b NC 1790. He appeared on the 1840 Dade Co GA
        census with Lucy b GA 1806 and daughters Nancy b AL 1821 & Elizabeth
        b AL 1823. In 1850, after Nancy & Elizabeth married appears Nancy
        Holder b AL 1836. That is her only Dade record and there wasn't a
        Holder family in Dade. Dade & Jackson adjoin.

        I just found on the 1830 Jackson AL Census, Unknown Twp:

        In Census Order:
        Francis Mathis
        William W. Mathis
        Joshua Holder
        Tho. Holder
        Joseph Dent
        Moses Holder
        Ann Hall
        JAMES STEWART
        John Holder
        Robert Maris
        Samuel McCrary
        Nancy Reynolds

        The James Stewart in this record fits exactly with the gender/ages
        for my James Stewart, wife Lucy and daughters Nancy & Elizabeth.

        Does anyone recognize any of the Holders; or any of the other names
        to know where in the county this was located. This was from Ancestry
        Plus Internet Census Images page 79 of 150 pages (I think that may be
        Ancestry numbers rather than census numbers)

        Or if anyone knows of any Stewart/Holder connection (or any of the
        name variants of Stewart or Holder) in Jackson Please let me know
        either on Jackson Genealogy or at Dunnsbnj@aol.

        Or if anyone knows a Holder researcher or Stewart researcher in
        Jackson Co. please let me know.

        Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Bill Dunn
      • lydia flack
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2003
          I have a holder kin that lived in Jackson don't know about Stewart yet I have 2 Dunn in family both have died Annie & van also from Jackson county area ,will check thru some of my branches see if can find any from Lydia
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2003
            Bill

            Try one of these.
            Jackson County Marriages

            Nancy J. Holder married John Corbett 25 Nov 1853 by Jus. of P. J. B. Talley
            Nancy Holder married James Bain 06 Dec 1855 Jus.of P. Thomas Campbell

            They did not always put Mrs. on the certificate.