Re: [jacksongenealogy] Stone Cutter

  • Patricia Mills
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2002
      Thank You so much for the information.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Richard Matthews
      Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 9:29 AM
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Stone Cutter

      Stone cutter's in our area would have most likely worked with limestane and
      possibly sand stone. Many of our still remaining pioneer chimneys were built
      form rough cut linestone blocks. This cutting was done with hammer and
      chisel. When limestone is first taken from the quarry, it is much softer
      than it is after long time exposure to the elements above ground. limestone
      becomes very hard with age. There are also many sand stone structures
      around this area, but sandstone requires much less cutting than limestone
      since it comes up in large flat blocks.

      There is not much evidence here of fine cut and polished limestone, but I
      suppose there could have been a local supplier of such products. The high
      quality cutting was done by accurate sawing of the rock and many hours of
      handpolishing.

      Your date of 1865-1874 was not a good time at Bellefonte. The town was
      completely razed by the Federal's before 1865, little was built back, the
      railroad had been built three miles to the north of the town, river traffic
      had greatly decreased due to the railroad, and the county seat had just been
      moved to Scottsboro. Bellefonte was dying or already dead during that time.

      Richard

      Do any of you have any Information on stone cutters in the Jackson County
      are, maybe around Bellefonte, back in the 1865-74.
      Do you know if there's a book on this or any information at all?
      My G.G.G. Grandfather was a stone cutter for the area back in the years of
      1865-74.
      CherokeePrincess77@...