Re: [jacksongenealogy] BELLEFONTE CEMETERY

  • slseay@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002
      > Please Unsubscribe me from this list.
      > From: "Ann Chambless" <abc123@...>
      > Date: 2002/08/27 Tue PM 01:57:33 EDT
      > To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] BELLEFONTE CEMETERY
      >

      > Bellefonte Cemetery is approximately 16 miles from the Gross Cemetery
      > and the area where the Lemons family purchased land in Jackson County.
      >
      > Ann B. Chambless
      > abc123@...

    • Ann B. Chambless
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 21, 2005
        Presently I am compiling a list for those whose burial in Bellefonte Cemetery appears possible and/or logical.
        In 1936, the TVA cemetery surveyors identified 243 graves. At that time 55 inscribed markers were legible enough to determine all or part of the name. This means roughly 77 per cent of the graves had either bare native limestone rock markers or no marker of any kind in 1936.
        This compilation is an ongoing project for me. I will always be looking for ways to identify those who are buried in the unmarked graves. You can help by sending name(s), birth and death dates, and last known place of residence for those you think might be buried in one of Bellefonte's unmarked graves. When available, newspaper obit should be included. Family census data given for the decades just prior to and immediately following the person's death also points to place of residence at the time of the death.

        Ann B. Chambless
        435 Barbee Lane
        Scottsboro, AL

      • Ann B. Chambless
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
          No grave in the old Bellefonte Cemetery was moved or affected when Guntersville Reservoir was created in 1939. I have a copy of the cemetery survey prepared by TVA in 1936. It shows that none of the graves in old Bellefonte Cemetery were to be disturbed because none of them would be covered by water after Guntersville Dam locks were opened (opened in 1939.)
          Bellefonte cemetery is on a high rise, and the back water from Guntersville Reservoir and Town Creek is several feet below the cemetery edge.
          The Bellefonte founding fathers chose wisely when they selected the site for their cemetery. It is located on the highest elevation in the old Bellefonte area and has always been safe from flooding of nearby Town Creek even before the advent of TVA.
          The Fennell Cemetery which was on the outskirts of the town of old Bellefonte was in the flood plain area, and those graves were moved by TVA at the family's request. However, the Fennell Cemetery was about three-fourths of a mile from the old Bellefonte Cemetery and was a family cemetery with burials limited to Fennell family members and connections.
          Ann B. Chambless