Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jones Cove inhabitants

  • hwj
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
      Richard, my dad was on one of the crews that logged some of those big tree's
      your talking about .He described one to me that was on a point below
      Langston that was a Popular 12 to 14 feet across he said. I was a little
      skeptical about a tree being that big but one time I was fishing during a
      TVA draw down and I saw the stump. When I first drifted over it I thought
      it was a bald clean place with no vegetation. It was huge and ever bit as
      big as he said it was .

      When Mr. Kanamer wrote his book he talked to some of the original settlers
      that told of the huge trees here when they arrived. The loggers here in Mink
      Creek in 1920 were brought in during the late 1800's from Kentucky to cut
      the timber. Sawmills were set up in Dry cove and Dotsonville on Mink Creek
      and powered by steam . A lot of old growth forest left from here .
    • SjonesArk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
        Thanks for your help. This information is certainly helpful.

        Sincerely,
        James