Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jones Cove inhabitants

  • SjonesArk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
      Anyone have additional information on this Moses Jones? My Jones family ( Elijah Jones and wife Margaret) lived in Paint Rock area in the coves of the Tennesee River until about 1839 when they migrated from Jackson County to Crawford County AR with the Miller, Pense, Tingler and Johnston families.

      Sincerely,
      James
    • Ann Chambless
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
        MOSES JONES' first wife was Delilah Derrick. His second wife was
        Delilah Ambrester, daughter of Phillip Henry and Mary (Derrick)
        Ambrester. Moses Jones can be found on the 1830 Madison Co, AL census
        and the 1840 through 1870 censuses of Jackson Co, AL.
        Moses Jones' daughter, Charlotte T. Jones, was born in 1818 and married
        G. W. Ambrester. His daughter Margaret was born circa 1830, married
        John Lancaster, and moved to Texas.
        Moses Jones' children living with him at the time of the 1850 Jackson
        County, AL census are:
        JOHN W. JONES born circa 1831, married Frances Lewis
        HETTY JONES born circa 1834, married Dr. J. M. Lewis on Aug 14, 1856
        JOSEPH JONES, born circa 1836, died in 1860s.
        MELISSA ELLEN, born circa 1840, married Edwin Acklin
        MARIA JONES, born circa 1842
        MALINDA JONES, born circa 1846
        HORACE JONES, born circa 1848, died young
        LAURA JONES, born circa 1852, married H. Wisdom on June 13, 1885.

        Ann B. Chambless
        abc123@...
      • hwj
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
          Richard, my dad was on one of the crews that logged some of those big tree's
          your talking about .He described one to me that was on a point below
          Langston that was a Popular 12 to 14 feet across he said. I was a little
          skeptical about a tree being that big but one time I was fishing during a
          TVA draw down and I saw the stump. When I first drifted over it I thought
          it was a bald clean place with no vegetation. It was huge and ever bit as
          big as he said it was .

          When Mr. Kanamer wrote his book he talked to some of the original settlers
          that told of the huge trees here when they arrived. The loggers here in Mink
          Creek in 1920 were brought in during the late 1800's from Kentucky to cut
          the timber. Sawmills were set up in Dry cove and Dotsonville on Mink Creek
          and powered by steam . A lot of old growth forest left from here .
        • SjonesArk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
            Thanks for your help. This information is certainly helpful.

            Sincerely,
            James