Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jones Cove inhabitants

  • Sheila McCloud
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2002
      From: "Richard Matthews" <prm@...>
      To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 9:41 AM
      Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Jones Cove inhabitants

      > What about the church, Mt. Olive Baptist there? Ever heard of it. It is
      not the same as the Mt. Olive Baptist near Rosalie.>
    • Ann Chambless
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2 6:45 AM
        On page 155 of J. R. Kennamer's HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY originally
        published in 1935 (republished by the JCHA in 1993), Mr. Kennamer wrote:
        "Jones' Cove is between the (Tennessee) River and Sand Mountain up from
        Sublett's Ferry. There are about ten families living in the cove (in
        early 1930s.) The school house has been moved down on the main road
        nearer the river."
        Jones Cove was originally called Riley's Cove (named for either James or
        Richard Riley - both received Cherokee reservations adjacent to the
        Tennessee River in 1819.) The name was later changed to Jones Cove
        after Moses Jones bought land in this cove. Moses Jones was elected
        Jackson County Court Clerk in 1836 and served that office through
        early 1840s. He was also elected County Commissioner in 1872 and
        served until he died in July 1873. Some other families who lived in
        Jones Cove at early date were: John W. Ambrestor, Isaac Newton Derrick,
        George and Samuel Sublett, John V. Wheeler, Allison A. Gay, James
        Anderson Hess, and others.

        Ann B. Chambless
        abc123@...
      • SjonesArk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2 7:22 AM
          Anyone have additional information on this Moses Jones? My Jones family ( Elijah Jones and wife Margaret) lived in Paint Rock area in the coves of the Tennesee River until about 1839 when they migrated from Jackson County to Crawford County AR with the Miller, Pense, Tingler and Johnston families.

          Sincerely,
          James
        • Ann Chambless
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2 7:45 AM
            MOSES JONES' first wife was Delilah Derrick. His second wife was
            Delilah Ambrester, daughter of Phillip Henry and Mary (Derrick)
            Ambrester. Moses Jones can be found on the 1830 Madison Co, AL census
            and the 1840 through 1870 censuses of Jackson Co, AL.
            Moses Jones' daughter, Charlotte T. Jones, was born in 1818 and married
            G. W. Ambrester. His daughter Margaret was born circa 1830, married
            John Lancaster, and moved to Texas.
            Moses Jones' children living with him at the time of the 1850 Jackson
            County, AL census are:
            JOHN W. JONES born circa 1831, married Frances Lewis
            HETTY JONES born circa 1834, married Dr. J. M. Lewis on Aug 14, 1856
            JOSEPH JONES, born circa 1836, died in 1860s.
            MELISSA ELLEN, born circa 1840, married Edwin Acklin
            MARIA JONES, born circa 1842
            MALINDA JONES, born circa 1846
            HORACE JONES, born circa 1848, died young
            LAURA JONES, born circa 1852, married H. Wisdom on June 13, 1885.

            Ann B. Chambless
            abc123@...
          • hwj
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2 11:24 AM
              Richard, my dad was on one of the crews that logged some of those big tree's
              your talking about .He described one to me that was on a point below
              Langston that was a Popular 12 to 14 feet across he said. I was a little
              skeptical about a tree being that big but one time I was fishing during a
              TVA draw down and I saw the stump. When I first drifted over it I thought
              it was a bald clean place with no vegetation. It was huge and ever bit as
              big as he said it was .

              When Mr. Kanamer wrote his book he talked to some of the original settlers
              that told of the huge trees here when they arrived. The loggers here in Mink
              Creek in 1920 were brought in during the late 1800's from Kentucky to cut
              the timber. Sawmills were set up in Dry cove and Dotsonville on Mink Creek
              and powered by steam . A lot of old growth forest left from here .
            • SjonesArk@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2 12:55 PM
                Thanks for your help. This information is certainly helpful.

                Sincerely,
                James