Jones Cove inhabitants

  • Sheila McCloud
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2002
      Does anyone have information on Jones Cove near Pisgah? There was a church there named Mt.Olive that was started by Pisgah Baptist back in late 1800's or early 1900's. I read the article about it in the Pisgah Baptist Church History. Anything else out there?

    • Sheila McCloud
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2002
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
          Sheila,

          I lived many years near the mouth of the cove, one of my favorite spots in
          all of Jackson County to this day. My Uncle helped log out the cove bottom
          land for TVA before they backed up the lake so he remembered its
          pre-Gunterville Lake days. There were a number of families who lived and
          worked the rich bottom farm land in the cove and according to my Uncle there
          were huge trees in the wooded areas of the cove that were, as he described,
          "too big for two men to even reach around".

          The cove has gone by a number of different names through the years that can
          be seen on the old maps. I suppose it assumed the name of the different land
          owners who llived and farmed there.

          Geographically the cove is huge, stretching from its mouth at the river just
          north of the BB Comer/Bob Jones bridges up through the creek and gorge that
          runs all the way up to Pisgah and cuts deeply into the side of Sand
          Mountain. One of the highest points in Jackson County over looks the cove
          and adds even more to its beauty. The area is still mostly wild with only
          the encroachment of Camp Jackson, a boy scout camp that is at the cove
          mouth.

          In river ferry days, Hales ferry landed near the cove mouth and connected
          that part of Sand Mountain to the valley on the north side of the river.
          Jones cove is just a few miles down stream from the old Bellefonte landing
          and Sublett's ferry and the whole area is littered with signs of past native
          American occupation. There are several small indian mounds just across the
          river and up stream from its mouth. The cove and the surrounding mountains
          were a haven for the Cherokees and it stayed in Cherokee hands until the mid
          1830's, some 15 years after the land north of the river became Jackson
          County, Alabama.

          My last visit to the cove awarded me with the biggest largemouth I've caught
          in my 56 years of fishing life, she weighed in at 9 lb 3 oz and was over 25
          inches long.

          Richard (forgive me for bragging about my big bass catch)
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
            On page 155 of J. R. Kennamer's HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY originally
            published in 1935 (republished by the JCHA in 1993), Mr. Kennamer wrote:
            "Jones' Cove is between the (Tennessee) River and Sand Mountain up from
            Sublett's Ferry. There are about ten families living in the cove (in
            early 1930s.) The school house has been moved down on the main road
            nearer the river."
            Jones Cove was originally called Riley's Cove (named for either James or
            Richard Riley - both received Cherokee reservations adjacent to the
            Tennessee River in 1819.) The name was later changed to Jones Cove
            after Moses Jones bought land in this cove. Moses Jones was elected
            Jackson County Court Clerk in 1836 and served that office through
            early 1840s. He was also elected County Commissioner in 1872 and
            served until he died in July 1873. Some other families who lived in
            Jones Cove at early date were: John W. Ambrestor, Isaac Newton Derrick,
            George and Samuel Sublett, John V. Wheeler, Allison A. Gay, James
            Anderson Hess, and others.

            Ann B. Chambless
            abc123@...
          • SjonesArk@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
              Anyone have additional information on this Moses Jones? My Jones family ( Elijah Jones and wife Margaret) lived in Paint Rock area in the coves of the Tennesee River until about 1839 when they migrated from Jackson County to Crawford County AR with the Miller, Pense, Tingler and Johnston families.

              Sincerely,
              James
            • Ann Chambless
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
                MOSES JONES' first wife was Delilah Derrick. His second wife was
                Delilah Ambrester, daughter of Phillip Henry and Mary (Derrick)
                Ambrester. Moses Jones can be found on the 1830 Madison Co, AL census
                and the 1840 through 1870 censuses of Jackson Co, AL.
                Moses Jones' daughter, Charlotte T. Jones, was born in 1818 and married
                G. W. Ambrester. His daughter Margaret was born circa 1830, married
                John Lancaster, and moved to Texas.
                Moses Jones' children living with him at the time of the 1850 Jackson
                County, AL census are:
                JOHN W. JONES born circa 1831, married Frances Lewis
                HETTY JONES born circa 1834, married Dr. J. M. Lewis on Aug 14, 1856
                JOSEPH JONES, born circa 1836, died in 1860s.
                MELISSA ELLEN, born circa 1840, married Edwin Acklin
                MARIA JONES, born circa 1842
                MALINDA JONES, born circa 1846
                HORACE JONES, born circa 1848, died young
                LAURA JONES, born circa 1852, married H. Wisdom on June 13, 1885.

                Ann B. Chambless
                abc123@...
              • hwj
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
                  Richard, my dad was on one of the crews that logged some of those big tree's
                  your talking about .He described one to me that was on a point below
                  Langston that was a Popular 12 to 14 feet across he said. I was a little
                  skeptical about a tree being that big but one time I was fishing during a
                  TVA draw down and I saw the stump. When I first drifted over it I thought
                  it was a bald clean place with no vegetation. It was huge and ever bit as
                  big as he said it was .

                  When Mr. Kanamer wrote his book he talked to some of the original settlers
                  that told of the huge trees here when they arrived. The loggers here in Mink
                  Creek in 1920 were brought in during the late 1800's from Kentucky to cut
                  the timber. Sawmills were set up in Dry cove and Dotsonville on Mink Creek
                  and powered by steam . A lot of old growth forest left from here .
                • SjonesArk@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2002
                    Thanks for your help. This information is certainly helpful.

                    Sincerely,
                    James