RE: [jacksongenealogy] Jackson County Chronicles

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2 5:10 AM
      I hope all of you Jackson County genealogy list members are having a good
      holiday. Jackson County is busy with several Labor Day celebrations.

      Out list traffic has had a noticable increase in volume lately, and that is
      great. The list is being used for exactly what I created it for. With the
      new level of use, it is a good time to make some suggestions that will let
      us all enjoy the list more and make it even more useful.

      I would like to request that when you reply on the list to a prior message
      that you edit down the message you are replying to as much as possible.
      Really all you need include is the email address or name of the original
      poster and just enough of their message to show what you are replying to.
      This can be done by simply selecting and deleting everything you do not want
      to appear in your posted message.

      For certain, don't post a message that has several former replies attached
      to it. Minimize your message as much as possible and the the information
      you wish to present to our group will be much more easily read and
      understood.

      Remember that on this list about 200 members receive every message.

      Thanks for being a great group to work with and good luck in your searching.

      Richard

    • Ann Chambless
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2 5:25 AM
        Thank you for your housekeeping message to list. You were very
        tactful.

        Ann B. Chambless
        abc123@...
      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2 5:41 AM
          Thanks you Ann for your participation in the list. Your knowledge adds
          greatly to its effectiveness.

          Richard
        • deeno
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2 7:33 PM
            And "thank you" to the both of you.

            The information the two of you have shared has given me a start on what I
            needed to understand the transformations,etc of the county.

            One of these days, I may get to pay a trip to Alabama(hope so). With the
            explanations you both have given, I will be ahead of the game and have more
            understanding than I would have had otherwise.

            Rayedene
            Message 5 of 8 , May 9, 2005
              CLAY GULLATT, thank you so much for your generous contribution to the Jackson County Historical Association's Cemetery Fund. At the present time, the Bellefonte Cemetery has been designated the most needy, as there is still so much to be done to reclaim this burial site antiquity.
              We also received your dues for the years 2005 and 2006. Your continue support is greatly appreciated!!!!

              After researching Jackson County, Alabama records for almost 35 years, I have never found records which apprenticed or indentured local orphans. In the early days, the Chancery Court handled cases which involved minors, divorces, land disputes, money disputes, family-type disputes, and bastardy cases. Personally, I have done less work in the Chancery records than in the Probate Court records. Therefore, I do NOT profess to be an expert on all the records which were processed through Chancery Court. In my limited research of Chancery Court records I have never run across apprentice records for orphans, but this would be the first place I would look for such records.

              During the days of county commission funded "Poor Houses," orphans, widows with minor children, and other indigents without family support of any kind were relegated to poor house living. As we have discussed on this forum in past weeks, the county commissioners contracted with the operator of the poor house based on the lowest bid. The amount allowed per person was nominal so all able-bodied people were expected to work for part of their upkeep. It is easy and logical to assume this was not an easy life, especially for children and youth.

              For those who may not know, the Probate Court handled marriage records,; property deeds; deeds of trusts/mortgage records; original plat books for land surveys; applications for professional licenses, i.e., for doctors, those who sold "spirituous liquors", operated bowling alleys, etc.; wills; estate settlements; adoptions; and, for a limited time period, bankruptcy. There is one old book of birth records for the year 1895. The parents' names were recorded, but the child's name was NOT recorded. For instance, I found my own maternal grandmother recorded as:
              Female born to James O. and Mary Cynthia Hollis in (voting) Precinct 20 on December 30, 1895. This was the only info recorded, and the time span was basically for the year 1895 ONLY. There is also a book covering World War I discharges and a book listing 1907 Civil War pensioners in the probate office.

              The Circuit Court has always handled civil court cases which involve major civil infractions such as murder, attempted murder, major property damage, arson, etc.

              Ann B. Chambless

              .

            • John
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2011
                I received my Jackson County Chronicles on Saturday the eigth of January. I have truly enjoyed reading Julys and this months as well. There is so much that is so very interesting.I wish every school student could read them. Thanks to Ann Chambliss for her hard work.
                John L Hamilton