Roll Call/ GRAVES

  • deeno
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2002
      I have sat here watching, waiting and reading all the messages that have
      been generated the last several days in hopes someone will mention my family
      that was in Jackson Co 1837-187?.

      The name has not been mentioned, but I have learned a lot of history and
      important facts that will enable me to understand more abt my search.

      If my ancestor was located in Stevenson on the census, was that possibly
      part of Marshall Co at one time? Or maybe, TN?

      Thank you for reading this,

      Rayedene Graves
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 29, 2002
        Regina,

        Thank you, yes that is my family. And the ages are correct.

        On 1850, Elijah was (mis)enumerated as GRANS on all indexes. He is also
        listed on the agricultural census, but name is spelled correctly.

        There is another listing where he is executor/administrator of an estate,
        names mentioned are Barrier and Dudley.

        I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the Graves family around
        Stevenson. I live in SE TX and have not been able to get to Alabama for any
        research. Hopefully, I will be able to do that in a few years.

        I have subscribed to the Jackson County Chronicles with a hope that some of
        Graves names will be mentioned, but that has not happened, yet. I have
        faith someday, something will surface on this family.

        Thank you,
        Rayedene

          From: deeno [mailto:deeno@...]
          Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Roll Call/ GRAVES

          I have sat here watching, waiting and reading all the messages that have
          been generated the last several days in hopes someone will mention my family
          that was in Jackson Co 1837-187?.

        • Regina Pipes
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 29, 2002
            I was born in Jackson County but live in Austin, Texas right now. I get
            back to Alabama once or twice a year and hopefully will be moving back next
            year. I'll see if I see anything on your family on my down time. I like to
            help others when I am stuck on my family. It helps if I can help someone.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30, 2002
              WOULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES
              DO YOU HAVE A E-MAIL ADDRESS?
              THANK YOU
              PAT MILLS

              > Is your family Elijah GRAVES age 47 born in Tn. in the 1860 Stevenson,
              > Jackson County, Alabama census division 1? If this is your family there
              was
              > Mary A. age 33 born in Tn., John age 16? born in Al., Silas age 14? born
              in
              > Al., Rebecca A. age 10? born in Al., Samuel M age 7 born in Al., Sarah age
              5
              > born in Al., and Henry H. age 1 born in Al. The question on the ages of
              > some of these is because all three of them look the same. I really can't
              > make out the ages so it is a guess on this.
              > Regina

            • Richard Matthews
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30, 2002
                No, Stevenson was never in Marshall County. When it was founded, Jackson
                County was in existence. Stevenson did have a close link with Tennessee,
                since there were roads that went north to Tennessee from Stevenson and of
                course the rail line also. Many families had members on both sides of the
                state line for certain. The Jasper, Tennessee area was tied to the Stevenson
                area also via the stage road from Bellefonte to Jasper in the early days.

                If one wants to really confuse things, bring up state boundaries. The land
                Jackson County now sets on was once Georgia, once Mississippi Territory and
                might have even been part of North Carolina, who knows? Seems I remember
                reading at one time North Carolina territory stretched from the east coast
                to the west coast by decree. There were a number of efforts in the late 18th
                century to occupy and sell this area of the country by companies using a
                variety of names ... The Yazoo land company was my favorite. All of the
                early attempts failed due to native hostilities.

                Even in our own county, boundary lines are confusing. The part of Jackson
                County south of the Tennessee River, the Sand Mountain area, did not become
                part of the county until Cherokee cessation, which was around 15 years after
                it became a county. Also there was a number of white families living in this
                area while Alabama was still a territory and long before Jackson County
                existed. The Huntsviile area was settled several years before our area. It
                looks as if the flat lands away from the hills were chosen first and the
                native occupied hills and coves came later, since they were less desirable
                for farming and more dangerous because of the natives.

                One must consider geography, economics, and government when trying to study
                genealogy in a particular era, to fully understand the existing information
                from that time.

                Names are an interesting part of genealogy also. I have noticed that many
                family names that passed through this area in the early days left nary a
                member here, for many of those family names cannot be found in this area
                now. Also family names have a way of evolving and changing. My own family
                has used Mathis, Mathews, and Matthews during the past 200 years. Even today
                different cousins in our family carry these different names and in our
                family burial plots one can see the variations on the headstones.

                Happy searching and learning.

                [Richard Matthews]

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2002
                  Regina,

                  Thank you, I appreciate your offer.

                  I also like to help and do on other lists in other states. I have resources
                  for them, but very little on AL, especially as early as what I need.

                  Thanks again,
                  Rayedene

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30, 2002
                    Richard,

                    Thank you for the history of the area.

                    That helps me understand and maybe will help me put Elijah with some
                    parents.

                    Rayedene

                  • altafae@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30, 2002
                      In a message dated 8/30/02 5:30:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time, prm@...
                      writes:

                      > My own family
                      > has used Mathis, Mathews, and Matthews

                      So true, Brazier, Brasure, Brashear, Loveless, Lovless, Lovlas can make you
                      crazy going from North Carolina to Jackson Co. - and yes with not many
                      original family remaining in the area - most being here on the West coast at
                      some part of the wagon trail.

                      cuz Jimmie

                    • Geri Beaver
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 30, 2002
                        are you a descendant of the Braziers of Jackson Co., ?

                        Geri Beaver

                        So true, Brazier, Brasure, Brashear, Loveless, Lovless, Lovlas can make you
                        crazy going from North Carolina to Jackson Co. - and yes with not many
                        original family remaining in the area - most being here on the West coast at

                        some part of the wagon trail.

                        cuz Jimmie

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • altafae@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 31, 2002
                          In a message dated 8/30/02 10:37:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                          beaver450@... writes:

                          > are you a descendant of the Braziers of Jackson Co., ?
                          >
                          > Geri Beaver

                          Yes, Elijah Brazier, Sr b 1776 NC and Jr. b 1800 SC My great grandfather was
                          George Washington b 18 Jan 1849, Maynard Cove, Jackson Co., Alabama, who's
                          who's mother, Elizabeth "Miss Betsy" Brazier married William Messer b. 1823,
                          Hawkins Co., Tennessee, and who's sister, Louisa Brazier [Brashear] b 12 May
                          1855, Maynard Cove, Jackson Co., Alabama married Allen J. Messer, b. Mar
                          1850, Maynard Cove, Jackson Co., Alabama William's son.

                          You know I still do not have a death date for William, do you have anything
                          on that and where he was buried?

                          cuz Jimmie

                        • Geri Beaver
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 31, 2002
                            No I am still working on that, for four years I have been working on that
                            one.

                            Geri

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 2, 2002
                              IF YOU HAVE ANY DOWN TIME WOULD YOU LET ME KNOW I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU
                              PAT
                              CherokeePrincess77@...