Re: [jacksongenealogy] Rodgers/Rogers/Roggers

  • Sam McDowell
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 25, 2002
      Its Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Chattanooga Tennessee is
      near there.

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 25, 2002
        No, but I've heard of Ft. Ogelthorpe. Hope this helps. Judy Harper

      • Patricia Mills

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 25, 2002
            I LOVE THIS, YOU FOLKS ARE GREAT, WHAT A GREAT GROUP TO BELONG TO.
            THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU SIR ARE A BLESSING. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS

            Its Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Chattanooga Tennessee is
            near there.
            --- Patricia Mills <CherokeePrincess77@...> wrote:
            > HAS ANY ONE EVER HERD OF FORT OVAL THORPE
            > CHATTANOOGA TENNESSEE?
            >
            > IN GOD'S SERVICE
            > PAT MILLSGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer
            > download : http://explorer.msn.com

            > removed]

          • Patricia Mills
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 25, 2002
              THANK YOU JUDY

              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 13, 2003
                Hello everyone.

                I pray you all are having fun while researching the family.

                My self I have a question?
                Do any of you know anything about this, or do any of you have a book or CD on
                the Native American Indians.

                Family lived in Jackson County Al.

                Wm.P.Rogers no. 9735 admitted brother of Maud Lane 2379 and is admitted for
                same reason roll p119 22969 fct comm 11384- William P.Rogers

                Rogers Joseph - 171
                admitted- applicant claims through mother who was not living in 1851 mother's
                father Oscar Rogers enrolled by Drennen in 1851 his children John, Catherine,
                Joseph, Ann are also enrolled by Drennen in 1851 925 great grandfather Joseph
                Rogers enrolled in 1835 roll p65 12080 fct comm 32723-berly e. geny 32 12081
                32724- Charles son - 9

                I also understand that a Joseph Rodgers was chief among the Cherokee's back
                in the 1700 time period.

                My Joseph P.Rodgers lived in Bellefonte Al. He was on the 1870 census.
                His first children's names were,
                Charles, John, and Ann.

                Later the one child John named his, child Joseph, he gave his son
                instructions to keep the name Joseph alive that this was the name to be remembered for
                history sake. He told his children he was Indian but back then you didn't admit
                you were an Indian due to not being able to get a job and feeding the family.

                My self I can remember my grandfather telling me many times that you didn't
                admit to being Indian if you wanted your family to live.

                I have not been able to locate any sort of information on this family the
                Rodgers/Rogers/Roggers before the 1870 time period I have researched the
                Washington, DC area for Ireland and have not got any results at all this is the only
                evidence I have found to cover his family name.

                Do any of you know much about the Indians in that area back then or have any
                information you would be willing to share?

                Thank you so much for all you do and thank you so much for reading my E-Mail.

                In God's Service
                ah-nee-jah-lah-gee Guh-geh-yoo
                Goo-hoo-sdee Juhn-dee
                Patricia Mills
                <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>

                Researching: Rodgers, Tyner, Sevier, Smith, Short, Lemons, Edge, Price,
                Burgess, Morrow, Mahan
                Location: Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, N.C., S.C., Kentucky

                My Brick Wall: Joseph P. Rodgers 1846, who were his parents and where did he
                come from? His Wife: Emily Elizabeth Smith/Rodgers/Lemons 1843, who were her
                parents she lived with her grandparents George and Mary Ann Smith.

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 13, 2003
                  Patricia

                  I remember coming across a Native American Joseph Rodgers when I was looking for your Joseph P Rodgers before. He was Creek or Choctaw Chief not Cherokee. There was quite a bit I read about him, will have to go back and see if I can find it. Try this site for Native Americans http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/alabama/

                  For those who want to see a map of what Alabama looked like in 1818 try this site
                  http://members.aol.com/JORDANJM2/1818AL.html All of Jackson and DeKalb counties were still part of the Cherokee Nation and the area south of that was the Upper Creek Nation.

                • Robert West
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 13, 2003
                    Patricia,

                    I found a 'Joseph Patrick Rogers' living in St Louis. He is a writer and is
                    it possible, a relative?

                    his email is: josephprogers@...

                    Bob West

                    E-mail to Joe Rogers
                    Some Links of Interest
                    Click here to see my links page
                    This page was last updated on July 2, 2003

                    New!

                  • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 27, 2003
                      Have you remembered where you saw this yet?
                      SCROLL DOWN?
                      thank you so much for all you do.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 31, 2003
                        Hi Patricia

                        Still don't remember where I saw the article on Rodgers. Have not had time to look as my youngest brother is very ill,

                      • cherokeeindian77@aol.com

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 2, 2003
                            Look in Franklin Co TN, it's just across the line from Ala. There are a few Rogers in the area now with light hair/light blue eyes (sort of an Irish look about them). Happy hunting. Joy
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 24, 2003
[...]

                            • RAYMOND SHIRLEY SR.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 24, 2003
                                The William and Martha (Wilkinson) Rogers family is my line and I have a
                                good amount of information about them.
                                I show a George Rogers married to Eliza McCrary. I don't have a date for
                                the marriage or the names of any children.
                                I have a John B. Rogers who was called "Jack." He was a Primitive Baptist
                                preacher.
                                I have Martha Jane Rogers.
                                I have Nancy Eliza Rogers.
                                I don't have Eliza Jane. However, it would not surprise me to learn that
                                George and Eliza (McCrary) Rogers named a daughter Eliza Jane.

                              • LorraineCooper
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 24, 2003
                                  How did you get to the 1970 census?Lorraine Cooper-rubyrain@...
[...]

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • Sam McDowell
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 24, 2003
                                    Patricia,
                                    Do you have a Murphy Wright Rogers or James Murphy
                                    Rogers in your data bank? They lived around the
                                    Bridgeport area of Jackson Co. I am looking for
                                    information on these 2 gentlemen.
                                    Sam

                                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                  • Gullick99@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 18, 2003
                                      Hi,
                                      I have been searching for the parents of my husband's grandfather, William
                                      Arthur Bowen, b. 5/12/1872(I have also seen 1882). On Arthur's death
                                      certificate it list his mother as Martha Rogers. Do you know who Martha Jane Rogers
                                      married? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.
                                      Jean Bowen
                                      Gullick99@...

                                    • zrcb@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003
                                        Jean
                                        Saw your query and I am sorry but I can't help you. You and your family
                                        have a nice Thanksgiving.
                                        Chuck
                                      • RAYMOND SHIRLEY SR.
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003
                                          Martha Jane Rogers, daughter of John B. and Kiziah (Gonce) Rogers, married
                                          Thomas Guthrie on 14th April. 1860. They are buried in Hackworth Cemetery,
                                          Jackson County, AL.

                                        • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003
                                            DO YOU KNOW IF THIS FAMILY IS RELATED TO MY FAMILY, JOSEPH P. RODGERS WHO HAD
                                            TWO SONS CHARLES AND JOHN RODGERS> 1870 census he is listed living in
                                            Bellefonte Al.
                                            In a message dated 11/19/03 8:58:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                            rshirley@... writes:
                                            Martha Jane Rogers, daughter of John B. and Kiziah (Gonce) Rogers, married
                                            Thomas Guthrie on 14th April. 1860. They are buried in Hackworth Cemetery,
                                            Jackson County, AL.

                                            O si yo,

                                            May the sun always shine for you, and the warm winds blow gently on your back.
                                            Do na da go hv = Until we meet again
                                            U gi da li - Silver Feathers

                                            ah-nee-jah-lah-gee = Cherokee People = Guh-geh-yoo, I love you
                                            Goo-hoo-sdee Juhn-dee = Your kin

                                            In God's Service
                                            Patricia Mills
                                            cherokeeindian77@...

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003
                                                I don't know if they were related. John B. Rogers was the son of William

                                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003
                                                  Hi Chuck,
                                                  Thanks. I know. I have looked for the Rogers but have been unable to find
                                                  them in Jackson County. I just hoped someone might know. You and your family
                                                  have a nice Thanksgiving.
                                                  Jean

                                                • Regina
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 20, 2003
                                                    I've seen this same John listed as John G. ROGERS. I saw where he was a
                                                    Primitive Baptist Preacher, and was known as "Preacher Jack ROGERS". Looks
                                                    like this John G ROGERS was living in Franklin Co., Tn.

                                                    Martha Jane Rogers, daughter of John B. and Kiziah (Gonce) Rogers, married
                                                    Thomas Guthrie on 14th April. 1860. They are buried in Hackworth Cemetery,
                                                    Jackson County, AL.

                                                    http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                                                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
                                                  • RAYMOND SHIRLEY SR.