Can anyone help this lady?

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 1999
      Can any list member help this lady?

      MY GRANDFATHER WAS BORN IN SCOTTSBORO MARCH12 1867 . HIS NAME WAS JOHN
      BOOKER WHITFIELD. I HAVE NO OTHER INFO EXCEPT HE MARRIED LUESETTA RIGSBY.
      CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE? THANK YOU JUDY VANZANT

      arras@...
    • piercedc
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 1999
        Richard,
        I appreciate your work on this new site. in reference to this woman's
        query, has anyone found her any info? If not, i will try to find the 1870
        census records for her, shouldn't be many Whitfields around here.
        David
        >MY GRANDFATHER WAS BORN IN SCOTTSBORO MARCH12 1867 . HIS NAME WAS JOHN
        >BOOKER WHITFIELD. I HAVE NO OTHER INFO EXCEPT HE MARRIED LUESETTA RIGSBY.
        >CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE? THANK YOU JUDY VANZANT
        >
        >arras@...

        >Looking for an easy, effective way to research an important topic?
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >Joining a ONElist community is your answer.

      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 1999
          > From: "piercedc" <piercedc@...>
          >
          > Richard,
          > I appreciate your work on this new site. in reference to this woman's
          > query, has anyone found her any info? If not, i will try to find the 1870
          > census records for her, shouldn't be many Whitfields around here.
          > David

          Thanks David,

          I don't know of any information that has been found for her yet. I'm sure
          any help would be greatly appreciated. All list members are invited to
          contribute as they can.

          I think this mail list can benefit many Jackson County genealogy
          researchers. it's success will be dependent on the use it is given.

          Richard
        • Shirjoyce@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 1999
            Richard,

            I checked my Jackson Co. Books and found 3 Whitfield marriages. Also some
            other books that I have on Jackson Co., AL. Possibly this Whitfield
            information will help to identify or eliminate Whitfield families for the
            researcher.

            BK A 1859-1871
            License 139
            W.C. Whitfield to Mary E. Dicus (see p. 346-license 468)
            License issued 7/2/1864 Solemnized no return

            BK A, 1859-1871
            License 468
            W. C. Whitfield to Mary E. Dicus (see p. 235-License 139
            License issued 7/2/1865 Solemnized 7/2/1865 by Wm. Bellomy, MG

            BK B 1871-1876, p. 181
            Wiley Whitfield to Talitha Snodgrass
            License issued 1/15/1873 Soleminized 1/19/1873
            At Scottsboro by Thos. J. Wood, MG
            Bondsmen: Solomon Robinson

            BK B 1871-1876, p. 560
            Richard Warren to Dona Whitfield
            License issued. 1/15/1876 Solemnized 1/15/1876
            At Scottsboro by Wm. Moore, Minister
            Bondsmen: W. B. Bridges

            There is a Civil War Damage Claim filed with The Southern Claims Commission
            1871-1880
            for a John Whitfield #5845 from Jackson Co., AL.

            A John Whitfield donated sizable land to the County. (To finance the
            courthouse in Scottsboro, I believe.) Deed Bk 3, p. 563 and p. 566.

            Confederate Soldiers
            Co. K., Fourth Regiment
            Pvt.G. Booker Whitfield Killed 7/2/1863, farmer

            Wiley Whitfield was a prominent black businessman in Scottsboro and operated
            a sawmill, was a carpenter and brick mason. He d. in 1931. Wiley once owned
            property in downtown Scottsboro. Wiley Whitfield had a white father and a
            black slave mother.

            1866 Special AL Census
            Township 4, Range 5 E.
            John Whitfield - 1 male over 20, 1 female over 20 and 1 male under 10

            Township 4, Range 6 E.
            W. C. Whitfield 1 male over 20, 1 female over 20 and 1 female under 10, 1
            female 10-20

            Shirley Perry
          • Richard Matthews
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 1999

              > I checked my Jackson Co. Books and found 3 Whitfield marriages. Also some
              > other books that I have on Jackson Co., AL. Possibly this Whitfield
              > information will help to identify or eliminate Whitfield families for the
              > researcher.
              >
              > Shirley Perry

              Thanks Shirley, I will pass your information along

              Richard