Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re:Old Gravesites Near Bellefonte (TVA)

  • Sheila McCloud
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 23, 2002
      Hello Cousin Judy, There is a book in the Chattanooga Public Library that
      gives these records. It is in the genealogy dept on 3rd floor. What are
      you looking for? Maybe I'll stop and find it for you. Sheila McCloud
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 24, 2002
        Chuck, when I go to look at the TVA book for Judy, I'll look and see if
        there is a list for old Belefonte Cemetery in the Chattanooga Library too
        for you. Will let you know.
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 25, 2002
          JUDY I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH MY AUNT IN ALABAMA, HER HOME FACES THE RIVER WHERE BELLEFONTE WAS AND SHE SAID SHE DIDN'T KNOW, BUT THAT WAS A GOOD QUESTION. MY UNCLE'S NOT HOME JUST YET BUT SHE SAID HE SHOULD KNOW. SO AS SOON AS I CAN I'LL ASK HIM AND GET BACK WITH YOU OK?

          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 25, 2002
            Regina,
            I wasn't the one who asked the question, but I'm looking for my great, great,
            great grandparents, Thomas EUSTACE and his wife, Elizabeth GEORGE EUSTACE.
            They died in Bellefonte in 1840 and 1843, and we can't find their graves
            anywhere. Any ideas?
            Thanks,
            Velma

          • zrcb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 25, 2002
              Pat
              Maybe you can help me too. My name is Charles Boyd. My Ggrandfather
              Robert Boyd used to live in or around Bellefonte. He died there 10 Aug 1888
              and is buried in the Bellefonte cemetery. Is there any kind of record that
              was kept in Jackson County Courthouse in Scottsboro. Unfortunately I don't
              think there was a gravestone. My Ggrandmother Mary Waller Boyd Nelson was
              buried in Price cemetery and the only way her grave was marked was with a
              couple of Rocks. Some one went to find it about five years later and they
              were gone. She died about 1911 or 12. My email address is Zrcb@... Any
              way that you can help will be appreciated. Chuck
            • Richard Matthews
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 26, 2002
                Luckly the Bellefonte Cemetery was above the flood line when TVA backed up
                Guntersville lake. The cemetery is within a stones throw of the lake but is
                still above the high water line. Most old cemeteries were built on a hill
                around here because the river, before TVA, flooded badly so a high burial
                ground was required..

                The old Bellefonte Cemetery is badly grown up and in very poor condition.
                One can drive by and not even know there is a graveyard there. The old town
                of Bellefonte is nearby, but it too is completely gone now. The railroad
                killed Bellefont, which was built as a river travel town, and being near the
                river was off the rail route. There was a Bellefonte Station on the rail
                route, but it grew and was renamed something else.

                The whole area of Jackson County was destroyed by Union troop occupation
                during the WBTS and Bellefonte was among the casualties. The years after the
                war were a bleak time for this area and the reason many oif our ancestors
                moved on during the late 1800's. Conditions around here were not good for
                many years after the war.

                Things have changed somewhat these days. We still have a beautiful county
                but there are still are a lot of poor folks here. There is a sharp contrast
                between them and the half million dollar homes that that line the lake and
                our bluff areas. Good jobs are still hard to come by locally and the really
                good jobs are Huntsville and Chattanoga.
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 26, 2002
                  Sheila
                  Maybe you could help me I am looking for Robert Boyd who died in
                  Bellefonte
                  10 Aug 1888. I was told he was buried in Old Bellefonte cemtery. How can I
                  get a hold of a copy of the book on old graves that is in Huntsville Library.
                  My email address is Zrcb@.... Thank You Chuck Boyd
                • Ann Chambless
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 26, 2002
                    In 1980, I obtained a copy of the Tennessee Valley Authority's (TVA)
                    inventory of the old Bellefonte Cemetery which TVA employees made in
                    1936 prior to the building Guntersville Dam which led to flooding of
                    land adjacent to the original banks of the Tennessee River.
                    The Old Bellefonte Cemetery was not in the flood plain; therefore, TVA
                    did not remove any graves at this site. We are fortunate to have
                    their inventory, as some of the markers they saw in 1936 have since
                    disappeared.
                    The Bellefonte Cemetery was used by Whites and Blacks. The TVA
                    surveyor found evidence of 243 graves. Only a small percentage of that
                    number had inscribed markers in 1936. I will also include information
                    I have gained from other sources which will be typed in parentheses, as
                    follows:

                    MAJOR JOHN W. AMBRESTER, (b. 1813, d. Jan 8, 1855, son of John A.
                    Ambrester of Blount Co, TN)
                    SARAH ALVENA FINLEY, died at age 6 (d. Sep 1842 - NOT in 1812 as
                    reported by some researchers.)
                    COL. ALVA FINLEY, died at age of 38 yrs and 27 days (d. Nov 12, 1843)
                    JOHN F. MARTIN, died at age 67 (b. Nov 21, 1775, d. May 29, 1842)
                    RACHEL MARTIN, died at age 62 (b. 1780, d. Mar 29, 1842 - daughter of
                    John Burns of SC)
                    DANIEL MCNAIR MARTIN, died at age 86 (b. Sep 4, 1800, d. Nov 28, 1886)
                    ELIZA MARTIN, died at age 65 yrs, 4 mos, and 10 days (b. Jan 4, 1805,
                    d. June 14, 1870)
                    JAMES K. P. MARTIN, died at age 19 (b. Nov 5, 1844, d. Jan 4, 1863)
                    JASPER NEWTON MARTIN, died at age 18 (b. July 20, 1842, d. Sep 19,
                    1860)
                    CAROLINE ELIZABETH MARTIN, died at age 8 mos and 14 days (died Oct 8,
                    1840)
                    JOHN H. MARTIN, died at 7 weeks (d. Aug 26, 1832)
                    MARY JANE MARTIN, died at age 6 yrs, 7 mos, and 15 days (d. Sep 15,
                    1831)
                    MARGARET MARTIN (born and died Oct 11, 1826)
                    UNKNOWN MARTIN, died at age 11 (no death date known)
                    ELIZA M. DAVIS, died at age 65
                    HENRY MARTIN DAVIS, SR., died at age 90 (b. Aug 1767, d. Aug 18, 1857)
                    HENRY DAVIS, JR., died at age 31 (b. Nov 12 or 13, 1810, d. Jan 10,
                    1841)
                    JAMES K. POLK SUGG, died at age 2 (b. Dec 11, 1844, d. June 23, 1846,
                    son of Joel and Margaret Sugg)
                    WILLIAM MORRISON SUGG, (b. Jan 16, 1846, d. June 12, 1846, son of Joel
                    and Margaret Sugg)
                    GEORGE SUGG, (b. Apr 26, 1847, d. July 4, 1848)
                    DESDOMONY SWOPE (b. Feb 15, 1806, d. Oct 31, 1850)
                    MARY ELIZABETH BRYANT (d. Oct 2, 1856, at age of 13 years and 28 days.
                    Daughter of Elisha and Nancy Bryant.
                    WILLIAM BRYANT, infant (probably son of Elisha and Nancy Bryant.)
                    SARAH ANN CRUMPLER, died at age 8 (b. Sep 29, 1845, d. Sep 3, 1853)
                    MARGARET J. CRUMPLER, died at age 6, (b. June 7, 1848, d. Sep 17, 1854)
                    NANCY THOMAS JUSTICE, (Was she first wife of Thomas Justice???)
                    LUCINDA ELIZABETH MCREYNOLDS , infant
                    M. C. MCREYNOLDS
                    WILLIAM MCREYNOLDS, died at age 75 (b. Mar 25, 1813, d. Mar 23, 1888)
                    LYMAN JAMES , died at age 34 (b. Nov 22, 1796, d .Dec 16, 1830 NOTE BY
                    ANN CHAMBLESS: Shot and killed by James Morton)
                    SAMUEL GAY, died at age 54, (b. May 13, 1797, d. Apr 22, 1851 or 1854)
                    ELIZABETH GAY, (b. Jan 7, 1801, d. Aug 20 or 29, 1847)
                    A. E. GAY, died at age 5 (b. Apr 10, 1832, d. July 1837)
                    LEWIS WILLIS, died at age 46 (died Jan 5, 1831 so he was born in 1785)
                    (husband of Elizabeth Willis)
                    RUTH GILBERT, infant
                    CRABTREE INFANT (child of Arthur Crabtree)
                    HESS ALLEN, infant (child of Doc Allen)
                    JOSHUA P. FROST, age 3, ( died Sep 3, 1842, so born in 1839)
                    SALLY D. FROST, died at age 27 yrs, 33 mos, and 12 days (d. Aug 2, 1830,
                    wife of Thomas Frost who moved to Bell Co, TX and died there on Sep 11,
                    1863)
                    MEREDITH P. FROST, infant, died Apr 20, 1840, age 4 mos and 12 days
                    LUCINDA C. FROST, died Oct 30, 1837, age of 2 yrs and 21 days
                    JOHN STANDEFER (nothing but name inscribed on stone)
                    MCCLURE infants (2 children of Thurman McClure)
                    CAPT. J. A. B. WILLIAMS, died at age 42 (b. 1831, d. Apr 1873)
                    WM. B. MARTIN, died at age 53 (b. Nov 21, 1833, d. Feb 26, 1886)
                    CORNELIA F. MARTIN, died at age 48 (b. Jan 18, 1840, d. Apr 20, 1888)
                    ALICE MARTIN, infant (b. July 19, 1872, d. Sep 12, 1872)
                    VIRGINIA MAY MARTIN, died at age 3 (b. Jan 17, 1869, d. Sep 2, 1872)
                    DANIEL M. MARTIN, died at age 4 (b. Nov 21, 1866, d. Dec 6, 1870)
                    ELBERT K. MARTIN, died at age 3 (b. Mar 3, 1860, d. Sep 11, 1863)
                    NOTE BY ANN CHAMBLESS: these last four were children of Wm. B. and
                    Cornelia F. (Stewart) Martin
                    ELIZABETH ANN SIMPSON, died at age 3 (possibly died Oct 4, 1849)
                    ROBERT COWAN SIMPSON, infant (died Oct 10, 1849, age 3 mos and 7 days)
                    HOMER DODSON infant (child of Gordon Dodson)
                    WILLIAM M. GRIDER (nothing else on stone) (TVA notation: Allie Grider
                    -nephew - Stevenson, AL)
                    SALLIE WHISENANT, died at age 65 (b. 1858, d. Feb 15, 1928, wife of J.
                    L. Whisenant)
                    LOT WHISENANT, died at age 21 (b. May 30, 1884, d. Aug 5, 1905 - son of
                    J. L. Whisenant)
                    MARY A. CRAWFORD, died at age 55 (b. Dec 25, 1852, d. Mar 7, 1907 - wife
                    of G.W. Crawford)
                    LUCIE CRAWFORD, died at age 5 (b. Jun 21, 1901, d. June 11, 1906 -
                    daughter of G.W.& M.A. Crawford)
                    MARY J. CRAWFORD (b. Jan 4, 1832, d. Feb 11, 1904)
                    P. C. CRAWFORD (b. Oct 4, 1834, d. Oct 20, 1918)
                    ADA RODEN, died at age 29 (b. Nov 22, 1860, d. Sep 13, 1889 - wife of
                    A. M. Roden)
                    ANNIE SCRUGGS JONES, died at age 47 (b. Jan 12, 1835, d. May 10, 1882)
                    MARGARET SCRUGGS, died at age 60, (b. Nov 19, 1808, d. Jul 18, 1868)

                    NOTE BY ANN B. CHAMBLESS: As stated in opening remarks, these
                    were the only inscribed markers found in the old Bellefonte Cemetery in
                    1936 when the cemetery was inventories by TVA. This will be the same
                    info which appears in the TVA inventory book located in the Chattanooga,
                    TN Public Library. However, I have added dates of birth and death
                    which come from my own personal inventory in the late 1960s, while the
                    cemetery was still somewhat accessible in the winter months.
                    Ann B. CHAMBLESS
                    abc123@...

                    Ann B. Chambless
                    abc123@...
                  • zrcb@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                      Sheila
                      Sure do appreciate it. Thanks Chuck
                    • Ann Chambless
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                        Jackson County, Alabama retained its rural, agrarian economy until the
                        mid-20th century. One must understand this point to accept the fact
                        that most farm families (most with large families) never had enough cash
                        for luxuries. Inscribed grave markers definitely came under the
                        heading of luxury. Also, there were no local monument companies in
                        this county until after World War II. This means families who could
                        purchase inscribed markers had to order them from an outside source.
                        During and for at least 20 years after the Civil War VERY FEW inscribed
                        markers were erected in North Alabama. Therefore, Jackson County,
                        Alabama has a HIGH percentage of unmarked graves or graves marked
                        simply with a hand-cut limestone rock. Another factor which affects
                        our inability to locate graves is that many local families chose to use
                        small, private family cemeteries close to their home - for convenience
                        and due to lack of transportation and/or weather conditions at the time
                        of the death. Many of these small family cemeteries have disappeared
                        as land was sold to non- family buyers and large farming and cattle
                        raising operations took their toll on land use. Cemeteries were plowed
                        under and markers and limestone rocks were removed to make way for
                        tractors or trampled by cattle. Plus, we know of at least three
                        housing sub-divisions here in Scottsboro which have literally
                        eradicated small plots as houses and their yards were developed in these
                        areas.
                        This fact existed in all areas of Jackson County. Therefore, one is
                        extremely lucky to find an inscribed grave marker for any ancestor prior
                        to late 1930s and early 1940s.
                        Another factor which makes it difficult to document one's ancestors in
                        Jackson County is the lack of birth and death records. The State of
                        Alabama began requiring these records in 1908. However, many births
                        and deaths in Jackson County were not attended by a physician (who
                        actually completed the record form to be sent to the State Department of
                        Vital Statistics.) Therefore, many of our births and deaths were never
                        recorded -- even after the 1908 requirement was enacted by the State of
                        Alabama.
                        It was not until the school systems got involved in requiring birth
                        certificates that the county populace "got with the program" so to
                        speak.
                        Back to death records. Since the earliest funeral homes were owned by
                        individuals long since deceased, and since these owners were not
                        legally required to maintain individual death records, what funeral home
                        owners possibly recorded disappeared at or perhaps even before the
                        demise of the individual owners. The only bright spot in this area lies
                        in the old newspaper obituaries. However, there is a glitch here,
                        also. When the local economy ebbed and dipped, the newspaper owner(s)
                        charged for an obituary. Here again many families did not have the
                        funds, time, or inclination to submit and pay for a family member's
                        obituary.
                        If you can not find the burial plot of your ancestor(s) in Jackson
                        County, Alabama, rest assured you are not alone. Sadly, this is the
                        plight of a multitude, like you, who have searched in vain.

                        Ann B. Chambless
                        abc123@...
                      • Peggy Powell
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                          Mrs. Ann,
                          Thank you very much I enjoyed reading this e-mail. I
                          printed it out to go in my files. I love reseaching my
                          family tree. I love all the info. I can get. Thanks
                          Peggy Powell

                          http://finance.yahoo.com
                        • Patricia Mills
                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                            THANK YOU MS, ANN CHAMBLESS FOR THE MOST WELCOME INFORMATION, IT WAS SO NICE OF YOU TO POST THIS.

                            SURE DIDN'T HELP ME ANY, BUT I DO THANK YOU SO MUCH.
                            I CAN'T FIND MY GREAT,GREAT GRANDFATHER ANYWHERE NOT ANY OF THE GRAVE SITES.
                            IN ONE OF YOU'RE E-MAIL'S YOU SAID THAT EMMA ELIZBAETH LEMONS CAME TO SCOTTSBORO AS A LEMONS DO YOU KNOW HOW I COULD FIND OUT FOR SURE WHAT HER MAIDEN NAME WAS?
                            IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATT. BY A FAMILY MEMBER ON THE RODGERS SIDE THAT HER MAIDEN NAME WAS NOT LEMONS AS THE LEMONS FAMILY HAVE STATED? THE CENUS RECORDS IN 1880 DEKALB ALA.
                            HAS HER MARRIED TO A JAMES LEMONS NOW THIS INFOR. IS NOT FROM THE CENSUS.
                            I DO NOT HAVE A COPY OF THIS CENSUS REPORT ONE OF THE LEMONS WROTE DOWN THE INFO. FOR ME.
                            WHEN I GO TO WASHINGTON D.C. I'LL GET THE TRUE COPY OF THE CENSUS.
                            THE ONLY RECORDS I HAVE ARE HER MARRIAGE TO LEMON,AND DEATH,AND WIDOWS PINSON.
                            NOTHING TO SHOW HER MAIDEN NAME. SHE WAS SUPOSE TO BE BORN IN GA.OCT.20,1843 SHE MEET MY GREAT, GREAT GRANDFATHER MARRIED AND MOVED TO ALA.
                            WHAT PUZZLES ME IS NO RECORDS OF ANYTHING NO CENSUS NO BIRTH RECORDS OF THE CHILDREN NO NOTHING. IS THIS POSSIBLE?
                            SHOULDN'T THEIR BE SOME SORT OF RECORD SOME WHERE?

                            I TOOK YOU'RE ADVICE AND HAVE STARTED TO WORK ON THE GA. AREA ALSO ONE OF THE RESEARCHER FROM THIS SITE IS HELPING ME SEARCH WHICH I AM VERY THANKFUL TOO AS OF TODAY THOUGH NO INFO. NOTHING.

                            MS.CHAMBLESS THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP YOU HAVE BEEN YOU ARE AN ANGEL. I JUST CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH. YOU SEE WHEN YOU LIVE SO FARE AWAY LIKE I DO ANY HELP THAT ANYONE CAN GIVE YOU AS YOU ARE RESEARCHING MEANS A GREAT DEAL. WE ALL ARE STRIVING FOR THAT ONE GOAL TO BRAKE THROUGH THAT BRICK WALL AND WEN SOMEONE LIKE YOU COMES ALONG AND HELPS IT MEANS A GREAT DEAL.THAT LIST WAS OF GRETA HELP NOW I KNOW MY G.G. GRANDFATHER IS NOT THEIR.
                            SO THIS MEANS I'VE GOT TO KEEP SEARCHING.

                            IN GOD'S SERVICE
                            PAT MILLS

                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                              Bellefonte Cemetery is approximately 16 miles from the Gross Cemetery
                              and the area where the Lemons family purchased land in Jackson County.

                              Ann B. Chambless
                              abc123@...
                            • Regina Pipes
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                                I find a James G. LEMONS died in Jackson County, Al. 13 April, 1956. I also
                                find a James LEMONS died 01 Aug., 1926 in Dekalb, Ga. I also see where Jas
                                & Emma ROGERS (note spelling) married 02 March 1879 Dekalb, Al. I would not
                                let the spelling bother me as my name has been spelled so many ways. Did
                                Emma marry your grandfather RODGERS first then the LEMONS? From looking at
                                the GROSS Cemetery records there is several LEMONS and ROGERS/RODGERS buried
                                there. Since the GROSS Cemetery is just across the Marshall county line you
                                may also want to check that county for some of your family. Seems like I
                                remember both RODGERS and LEMONS in Marshall County.

                                Ann or Richard, how far is Belfonte from the GROSS Cemetery? It seems odd
                                to me that so many of this family is buried in GROSS Cemetery and Patricia
                                seems to think some of this family was buried at Belfonte.

                                Regina
                              • Regina Pipes
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                                  Looking at the GROSS Cemetery I would think there is a relation between the
                                  ROGERS/RODGERS and LEMONS before Emma ROGERS married James LEMONS.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                                    You might consider the fact that several Rogers families lived across
                                    the state line in Franklin County, TN, a county adjoining Jackson
                                    County, AL. I'm a descendant of John B. Rogers and his family lived in
                                    both Jackson County and Franklin County.
                                    Ray Shirley

                                  • zrcb@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                                      Ann
                                      Thanks a lot for the hard work compiling all of this work. I found one
                                      of my relatives. It was Ada Roden age 29 b 22 Nov 1860 d. 13 Sept 1889 wife
                                      of A.M. Roden. She was the daughter of A.W. Brooks and Emma Boyd Brooks.
                                      You don't know where A.W. Brooks and Emma Roden are buried do you. Emma
                                      Brooks married A.M. Roden after A.W. Brooks died. He died in 1896 and she
                                      married A.M. Roden in 1897. You said that you had other records do you know
                                      if Robert Boyd is on them. He died 10 Aug 1888 in Bellefonte. If you have
                                      any information or any suggestions will be gladly appreciated. My email
                                      address is Zrcb@...
                                      Thanks Chuck Boyd P.S. If it means anything I am related to Jim Boyd
                                    • zrcb@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                                        Ann
                                        Do you know if their is anyone who has compiled the names of the
                                        gravestones in Carr cemetery close to Stevenson Al. Thanks Chuck Boyd
                                      • Patricia Mills
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                                          THANK YOU AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU RICHLY.

                                          YES, SHE WAS MARRIED TO J.P. RODGERS FIRST.

                                          I'M PULLING AT STRAWS TO LOCATE THE GRAVE FOR J.P. RODGERS OR ANY INFORMATION AT ALL ON HIS LIFE. I HAVE NO IDEA OF WHERE HIS GRAVE MIGHT BE.

                                          WHAT PUZZLES ME IS MOST EVERYONE IN THE RODGERS FAMILY IS BURIED IN ALABAMA AND MOST OF THEM ARE AT GROSS CEMT. SO WHERE IS HE?. THE OTHER PUZZLE IS THEY HAD CHILDREN IN ALA. TWO SONS ONE BORN IN 1870 AND ONE IN 1873, BUT I CAN NOT GET ANY RECORDS ON EITHER OF THEM AT THE ALABAMA ARCHIVES NO BIRTH NO DEATH THEY KEEP TELLING ME THE RECORDS ARE AT THE SCOTTSBORO COURT HOUSE AND LIBRARY.
                                          "(NANCY DUPREE) AT ALABAMA ARCHIVES".
                                          THE UNDERSTANDING I HAVE IS EACH COUNTY HAS THEIR OWN RECORDS DATED BACK TO THAT TIME PERIOD,I'VE BEEN TOLD THEY ARE IN BOXES THAT NEED TO BE FILLED. I'VE ALSO BEEN TOLD THEY DO NOT HAVE THE STAFF OR FUNDS TO DO THE WORK,
                                          I BELIEVE THIS WHEN I'VE CALLED IT HAS SOUNDED SO OVER LOADED AT THAT COURT HOUSE AND LIBRARY. THOSE LADIES ALWAYS SOUND BUSY AND OVER WORKED.
                                          I'VE TALKED TO THE LADIES AT THE HERTIAGE HOUSE IN SCOTTSBORO, THEY DO NOT GET PAID FOR THE WORK THEY DO THEY DO IT OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS, THAT'S COUNTLESS HOURS THESE LADIES DEVOTE TO THAT COUNTY AND OUR HERITAGE. SO AS IT GOES THEIR IS WORK TO BE DONE BUT FIEW WORKERS FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD.

                                          I'M SORRY FOR TAKING UP SO MUCH TIME ON THAT SUBJECT BUT IT NEEDED TO BE SAID.SO OTHERS MIGHT UNDERSTAND, WHEN WE THE ONES WHO DO NOT LIVE IN THESE ARES CALL AND GET SO DISCOURGED BECAUSE WE CAN'T GET TO THE INFORMATION WE ARE SO DESPERATLY TRYING TO LOCATE ON OUR LOVED ONES.
                                          I'M SORRY I PRAY I'M NOT IN ANY TROUBLE FOR WHAT I SAID IT'S JUST I FEEL SORRY FOR SOME OF THESE PEOPLE.

                                          MARSHALL COUNTY YOU KNOW THAT IS POSSIBLE MAYBE THE CENSUS REPORTER WENT OVER INTO JACKSON COUNTY WITH OUT KNOWING IT OR MAY BE AT SOME POINT AND TIME THEY DID LIVE IN MARSHALL. ONE THING FOR SURE I'M GOING TO CHECK IT OUT.

                                          JAMES LEMONS DIED IN 1886.HE'S BURIED AT BELLAFANTE, I HAVE A COPY OD HIS DEATH CERT. I HAVE A COPY OF HER DEATH CERT. ALSO.
                                          YOU GOT THE MARRIAGE RIGHT, I HAVE A COPY OF THE MARRIAGE CERT.

                                          THE BRICK WALL IS "J.P.RODGERS" BELIVED TO BE JOHN PRESTON RODGERS/ROGERS/ROGGERS
                                          I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ON THIS MAN I DO NOT KNOW WHO HIS PARENTS WERE SISTER , BROTHER , I DO NOT KNOW WHERE HE WAS BORN, WHERE HE DIED, WHERE HE WAS MARRIED?

                                          I WAS TOLD OVER THE WEEKEND BY MY UNCLE THAT HE WAS TOLD THAT HE CAME FROM OR WENT TO FORT OGLETHORPE, MEET EMMA, MARRIED HAD A DAUGHTER MOVED TO ALA. SO I'M NOT SURE OF ANYTHING AT THIS POINT. HE KEPT SAYING FORT OGLETHORPE TENNESSEE. HE ALSO SAID EMMA'S BROTHERS AND DADDY WERE KILLED AT THE BATTLE OF CHICKMAUGA.

                                          AGAIN THANK YOU FOR THE RESEARCH YOU DID. THANK THE LORD WE HAVE PEOPLE WHO CARE. THIS WEB SITE IS THE BEST I'VE EVER BELONGED TO I'M SO THANKFUL TO A DEAR FRIEND OF MINE WHO TOLD ME OF THIS. IT'S WOUNDERFUL JUST TO READ THE MAIL ALL OF YOU ARE SENDING IN IT HELPS SO MUCH.
                                          PAT

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                                            Hi Ann,

                                            I fully understand the problems with many rural areas that faced the
                                            same problems, My question to the list - Does anyone know the location
                                            of the Reynolds Cemetery (Near Section)? I have several ancestors
                                            buried there and I have been told of many different locations. I also
                                            heard that it was one of the cemeteries that was relocated by the TVA.

                                            Thanks,

                                            Joe Reynolds
                                            Reynolds Family Circle
                                            http://www.reynoldsfamilycircle.com

[...]

                                            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                          • Patricia Mills
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 27, 2002
                                              Thank You,

                                              What is the you are in?
                                              Please e-mail me at CherokeePrincess77@...
                                              Pat

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 28, 2002
                                                I am not familiar with Carr Cemetery. Who would have been buried
                                                there? Perhaps it is known by another name in this area?

                                                Ann B. Chambless
                                                abc123@...
                                              • zrcb@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 28, 2002
                                                  I am hoping maybe my GGgrandparents John Boyd and Elizabeth Boyd are buried
                                                  there amongst others. It is close to Stevenson up on a hill. On an old map
                                                  that was used in the civil war there was an pld stream that went by it and it
                                                  was called Carr Stream. When I was there about a year ago I tried to go
                                                  there but it is on private property. There was a farm at the time that was
                                                  close by called Boyd Farm
                                                  and I have heard that it was owned by a John Boyd. I am hoping that is my
                                                  John Boyd. Thank you Chuck
                                                • slseay@bellsouth.net
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002
                                                    > Please Unsubscribe me from this list.
                                                    > From: "Ann Chambless" <abc123@...>
                                                    > Date: 2002/08/27 Tue PM 01:57:33 EDT
                                                    > To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                                                    > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] BELLEFONTE CEMETERY
                                                    >

                                                    > Bellefonte Cemetery is approximately 16 miles from the Gross Cemetery
                                                    > and the area where the Lemons family purchased land in Jackson County.
                                                    >
                                                    > Ann B. Chambless
                                                    > abc123@...

                                                  • Ann B. Chambless
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Feb 21, 2005
                                                      Presently I am compiling a list for those whose burial in Bellefonte Cemetery appears possible and/or logical.
                                                      In 1936, the TVA cemetery surveyors identified 243 graves. At that time 55 inscribed markers were legible enough to determine all or part of the name. This means roughly 77 per cent of the graves had either bare native limestone rock markers or no marker of any kind in 1936.
                                                      This compilation is an ongoing project for me. I will always be looking for ways to identify those who are buried in the unmarked graves. You can help by sending name(s), birth and death dates, and last known place of residence for those you think might be buried in one of Bellefonte's unmarked graves. When available, newspaper obit should be included. Family census data given for the decades just prior to and immediately following the person's death also points to place of residence at the time of the death.

                                                      Ann B. Chambless
                                                      435 Barbee Lane
                                                      Scottsboro, AL

                                                    • Ann B. Chambless
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
                                                        No grave in the old Bellefonte Cemetery was moved or affected when Guntersville Reservoir was created in 1939. I have a copy of the cemetery survey prepared by TVA in 1936. It shows that none of the graves in old Bellefonte Cemetery were to be disturbed because none of them would be covered by water after Guntersville Dam locks were opened (opened in 1939.)
                                                        Bellefonte cemetery is on a high rise, and the back water from Guntersville Reservoir and Town Creek is several feet below the cemetery edge.
                                                        The Bellefonte founding fathers chose wisely when they selected the site for their cemetery. It is located on the highest elevation in the old Bellefonte area and has always been safe from flooding of nearby Town Creek even before the advent of TVA.
                                                        The Fennell Cemetery which was on the outskirts of the town of old Bellefonte was in the flood plain area, and those graves were moved by TVA at the family's request. However, the Fennell Cemetery was about three-fourths of a mile from the old Bellefonte Cemetery and was a family cemetery with burials limited to Fennell family members and connections.
                                                        Ann B. Chambless