RE: [jacksongenealogy] Jackson County decendants

  • bjbullard
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
      Pat,
      I wish you were old enough to remember my gggrandfather (Joseph Garland of
      Garland's Cove) because you might remember his wife's Maiden Name. ....Bill

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
        In a message dated 8/24/02 2:59:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        Jpete75910@... writes:

        > James Peterson

        Exactly - and one day there will be some looking for the Brazier/Brashear,
        Sanders, Crawfords, Loveless, Hale, Smith, Stephens, Gotcher, Brown families,
        I continue to search for.

        Jimmie Ryan

      • altafae@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
          In a message dated 8/24/02 4:31:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          bjbullard@... writes:

          > Cove

          Does anyone on the list know why things were called Cove in this county -
          were there in fact coves of water? Being from California and not knowing the
          area it would be interesting to know - anyone still in Jackson Co.?

          cuz Jimmie

        • Patricia Mills

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
              It is true that a cove usually refers to an inlet or bay. A cove can also
              refer to what you might call recesses in a mountain range. Jackson County
              is a part of the lower Appalachian Mountains and more notably, the local
              range known as the Cumberland Mountains, thus there are a number of
              recesses, roads around the "foot of the mountain". I think they might be
              known as "hollers" in other parts of the country.

              I lived in Limrock in Jackson County until 1963. It is still in my mind one
              of the most beautiful and relatively untouched counties I have seen,
              although Virginia's Shenendoah Valley comes close. Limrock had three coves.
              They were great for a 16 year old to learn to drive without much
              interferrence.

              My line of Reeds in Jackson County goes back to the 1850s when Great-Great
              Grandfather William B. Reed moved to the county from Roane County, TN via
              Georgia and Arkansas. Also related to Sheltons, Bynums, Potters and
              Austins.

              Earl Reed
              Dayton, TN

            • JH1137@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
                Hello Pat:
                I to was born and raised in Scottsboro. I love the mountains and the
                lakes. Look like a little Switzerland.

                Jim Havis

              • Patricia Mills
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
                  DEAR MR. EARL REED ,
                  YOU ARE CORRECT, I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN SCOTTSBORO.
                  I WAS BORN IN A HOME IN ONE OF THOSE HOLLERS.
                  IT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE I HAVE EVER LIVED, I CAN PICTURE IT IN MY MIND TODAY.
                  TODAY I LIVE CLOSE TO THE SHENEDOAH MTS. AND THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL BUT NOTHING CAN TOUCH ALABAMA WHEN IT COME TO BEING OUT OF THIS WORLD BEAUTIFUL, LETS JUST SAY A LITTLE HEAVEN ON EARTH .
                  HAVE A BLESSED WEEKEND SIR
                  PAT

                  > In a message dated 8/24/02 4:31:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  > bjbullard@... writes:
                  >

                  > > Cove
                  >
                  > Does anyone on the list know why things were called Cove in this county -
                  > were there in fact coves of water? Being from California and not knowing
                  the
                  > area it would be interesting to know - anyone still in Jackson Co.?
                  >
                  > cuz Jimmie

                • bjbullard
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                    If all of you keep talking I will be forced to come see Scottsboro for
                    myself. ...Bill

                    I to was born and raised in Scottsboro. I love the mountains and the
                    lakes. Look like a little Switzerland.

                    Jim Havis

                  • Linda Kay Davis
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                      Hi Jimmie
                      I believe it refers to Mountain coves not shoreline
                      coves )))
                      Linda
                      > In a message dated 8/24/02 4:31:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                      > bjbullard@... writes:
                      >

                      > > Cove
                      >
                      > Does anyone on the list know why things were called Cove in this county -
                      > were there in fact coves of water? Being from California and not knowing
                      the
                      > area it would be interesting to know - anyone still in Jackson Co.?
                      >
                      > cuz Jimmie

                    • Geri Beaver
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                        I have Betsy Brazier married William Messer in 1869 in Jackson Co., Ala. her father was Elijah Brazier, ring any bells.

                        Geri Beaver

                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                          If you are related to the Bynums and Sheltons then you are probably related to my main line the Messers, My gggrandfather was William Messer m. Sarah Bynum around 1845 and Catherine Messer m. John Shelton in Hawkins Co., Tn. then moved to Jackson Co., Ala. Sarah Bynum father was James Bynum.

                          Geri Beaver

                          > In a message dated 8/24/02 4:31:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                          > bjbullard@... writes:
                          >

                          > > Cove
                          >
                          > Does anyone on the list know why things were called Cove in this county -
                          > were there in fact coves of water? Being from California and not knowing
                          the
                          > area it would be interesting to know - anyone still in Jackson Co.?
                          >
                          > cuz Jimmie

                        • hwj
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                            Here on the southern end of Appalachia the mountains peter out like fingers
                            on a hand .The area between the fingers are good flat level farming ground
                            usually with a creek running through and were the first settled areas. A
                            good spring in the head of a cove was highly prized choice homestead. The
                            cove was usually also named after the person who settled there.

                            Hugh
                          • Patricia Mills
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                              DO YOU KNOW WHERE JOE MONEY'S STORE IS? SOUTH OF SCOTTSBORO, ON THE OUT SKIRTS OF TOWN.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                YOU DO YOU MAY NOT LEAVE, HEHEHE

                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                  Geri,
                                  You are correct. John Shelton and Catherine Messer are ancestors of
                                  mine. John and Catherine had a son named William, William produced a son
                                  named Nathaniel who lived until 1928. Nathaniel's son William Edward was
                                  the father of my maternal grandmother Lucy Katherine Shelton Hastings. The
                                  Bynum line comes through Ggrandmother Mary Elizabeth Potter Reed and goes
                                  back to John Byenum born in Surry County, VA in 1616. It only took a couple
                                  of generations to change the spelling to Bynum.
                                  Mary Elizabeth's parents were Martha Evans and Samuel Potter. Martha
                                  Evans' parents were Lewis Evans and Anna Bynum. The Bynum line from John
                                  Byenum to Anna was: John Byenum (1616) I think there may be another Bynum
                                  between John and James Byenum (1666), William Bynum, Sr (1690), William
                                  Bynum, Jr (ABT 1724), Isaac Bynum, Sr (1757). Isaac was Anna's father and
                                  was born in NC; he died in Maynard's Cove in Jackson County.
                                  Interesting bits of information. John Baynhum who was the father of the
                                  John Byenum born in 1616 was a neighbor, in the settlement south of the
                                  James River in VA, of John Rolfe.

                                  Regards,
                                  Earl

                                  > If you are related to the Bynums and Sheltons then you are probably
                                  related to my main line the Messers, My gggrandfather was William Messer m.
                                  Sarah Bynum around 1845 and Catherine Messer m. John Shelton in Hawkins Co.,
                                  Tn. then moved to Jackson Co., Ala. Sarah Bynum's father was James Bynum.

                                  Geri Beaver

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • James Parkhill
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                    My ancester David Parkhill moved from Rhea County,
                                    Tennessee to Jackson County in 1820. He had a family
                                    of 9 and maybe more. My gg-grandfather was named
                                    William Parkhill or possibly James (John) Parkhill who
                                    married Ritha Louise Birdwell. I can't seem to find
                                    anything. William was listed on the 1830 Census of
                                    Jackson County. I wish I could find something on him.
                                    Can you possibly help me?

                                    =====

                                    http://finance.yahoo.com
                                  • Regina Pipes
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                      I am sure you all have heard of the book by HAROLD AND ROBERT CASEY called
                                      SHELTON, WININGER AND PACE FAMILIES. If you haven't, it has a lot of the
                                      names you all have mentioned.

                                      I too am from Jackson County, Hollywood/Scottsboro area. Wish I had the
                                      money to turn Paint Rock valley into a small Gatlinburg. We sue to cut fire
                                      wood there and it has some of the prettiest land and small springs and small
                                      post office buildings. It would be neat to have the locals to sale their
                                      home made quilts, etc. and crops there. It is breath taking in the fall of
                                      the year.

                                    • zrcb@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                        You said you Live in the Hollywood/Scottsboro are. Did you by any chance
                                        know Allie Shrader. Her mother was Dona Boyd Haswell. She was my
                                        grandfather John Boyd's sister. What I am looking for is the cemetery that
                                        my Ggrandfather Robert Boyd is buried in and where my GGgrandparents John
                                        Boyd and Elizabeth Pepper Boyd. Robert died in Bellefonte 10 Aug 1888 and
                                        John died in Scottsboro abt Nov 1884. Elizabeth also died in Scottsboro in
                                        1861.I have been around Scottsboro and I haven't had too much luck finding
                                        them. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. My email address is
                                        Zrcb@...
                                        Thank You Chuck Boyd
                                      • vrgfdonna@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                          Several generations of my GRAHAMS were born in a spot which I was told was
                                          called Graham Cove. It is at the foot of a small mountain there near Holly
                                          Tree. There were also creeks and small streams of water close by.
                                          I agree with you about the beauty of the whole county! When we visited there
                                          about 14 years ago, we fell in love with it. It was hard to see how my
                                          grandparents could've left there in the early 1900's.
                                          Velma

                                        • vrgfdonna@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                            You should! But don't stop there. Go and see the rest of the county, too!

                                          • Patricia Mills
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                              I'LL PRINT THIS OUT AND TAKE IT TO WASHINGTON D.C. THE NEXT TIME I GO WHICH SHOULD BE NEXT WEEKEND- SATURDAY. PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS I'M WATCHING MY GRANDCHILDREN AND I HVE ONE IN MY ARMS.

                                              My ancester David Parkhill moved from Rhea County,
                                              Tennessee to Jackson County in 1820. He had a family
                                              of 9 and maybe more. My gg-grandfather was named
                                              William Parkhill or possibly James (John) Parkhill who
                                              married Ritha Louise Birdwell. I can't seem to find
                                              anything. William was listed on the 1830 Census of
                                              Jackson County. I wish I could find something on him.
                                              Can you possibly help me?
                                              --- Patricia Mills <CherokeePrincess77@...> wrote:
                                              > WHAT'S THE NAME YOU ARE LOOKING FOR? WHAT INFO. DO
                                              > YOU NEED, I DON'T MIND HELPING. TALK TO ME. I WAS
                                              > UP TILL 3:30 THIS MORNING LOOKING AT CEMETERY SITES
                                              > FOR NAMES I WAS NOT JUST LOOKING FOR MY SELF I WAS
                                              > LOOKING FOR TWO OTHER RESEARCHERS. IF WE ALL WORK
                                              > TOGETHER WE CAN HELP ONE ANOTHER ISN'T THAT WHAT
                                              > THIS IS ALL ABOUT HELPING ONE ANOTHER?
                                              > THE WAY I DO IT IS WHEN SONEONE NEEDS HELP IN A AREA
                                              > LIKE SEARCHING THE CEMETERYS IN JACKSON COUNTY, I
                                              > POST THE OTHER PERSONS FAMILY NAMES AT THE BOTTOM OF
                                              > MY MONITOR AS I'M SEARCHING FOR THE NAME I'M LOOKIN
                                              > FOR I ALSO LOOK FOR THEM.
                                              > ARE YOU FROM JACKSON CTY. ALA.?
                                              > THE INFO. I SENT ON LINE ANYTHING RING A BELL WITH
                                              > YOU?
                                              > I LIVE ABOUT 30 MILES FROM WASHINGTON D.C. ARCHIVES,
                                              > ARE YOU UP AGAINST A BRICK WALL TOO.? IF I CAN HELP
                                              > JUST LET MR KNOW I'LL TRY TO DO MY BEST NOT SAYING
                                              > THAT'S SO GOOD AFTER ALL I'M AT A BRICK WALL MY
                                              > SELF.
                                              > A MS.CHAMBLESS OFFERED HER EXPERT ADVICE SHE THINKS
                                              > I NEED TO GO TO A DIFFERNT STATE LIKE GA.
                                              > YOU KNOW THIS RESEARCH YOU CAN LOOSE SLEEP OVER IT,
                                              > HEHEHEHE
                                              > THE INFORMATION SOME DAY WILL BE IMPORANT TO MY
                                              > FAMILY SO I JUST KEEP AT IT. AT THIS TIME I'M DOING
                                              > ALLOT OF PRAYING ABOUT THIS ONE, IT'S IMPORTANT TO
                                              > GET PASSED THIS BRICK WALL, IT'S TO EARY IN THE GAME
                                              > TO STOP WITH THIS NAME. I'M ONLY AT THE 1840 YR. SO
                                              > MUCH MORE TO SEE AND LEARN HA.
                                              > NICE TALKING WITH YOU.
                                              > A FRIEND OF MINE SAYS WE SHOULD NEVER SAY GOOD BY
                                              > JUST SAY.
                                              > LATER GATOR.
                                              > PAT RESEARCHING THE RODGERS/ROGERS

                                              =====

                                            • Regina Pipes
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                                Have you checked in Marshall county, Alabama? There is some PARKHILL'S there
                                                in 1840 then I find some back in Jackson County in 1850.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                                  I lived in Hollywood about thirty years ago. When I went to church in
                                                  Hollywood one of the preachers was a SHRADER. I remember some HASWELLS
                                                  also. I'll see what I can find. I live in Texas right now but hope to be
                                                  back in Alabama within a year or two.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                                    Yes, my great great grandmother - second wife of Elijah Brazier, Jr. b 1800
                                                    SC, son of Elijah Brazier, Sr. b. 1776 NC who settled in Scottsborro, Jackson
                                                    Co., Alabama in the 1810's.

                                                    You were the first person to give me information on my family, through you I
                                                    located many others, thank you.

                                                    cuz Jimmie

                                                  • Patricia Mills
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                                      BLESS YOU,
                                                      I KNOW THAT MUST OF BEEN A WOUNDERFUL FEELING.
                                                      I GOT GOOSE BUMPS JUST READING YOU'RE MESSAGE.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 26, 2002
                                                        That preacher in Hollywood was probably named Otho Shrader he was married
                                                        to my 2nd cousin Allie Haswell. Also there was Hugh and Dona Haswell. Dona
                                                        Boyd Haswell was my great aunt. Looking forward to hearing from you . Chuck
                                                      • Regina Pipes
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 26, 2002
                                                          Yes, Otho was his name. He preached at the Hollywood Baptist Church and he
                                                          also worked for the state of Alabama with my Dad. It has been thirty
                                                          something years ago since I went to church there.

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Aug 29, 2002
                                                            David Parkhill is recorded on the 1819 Rhea County
                                                            Tennessee Tax Roll. Around the middle of 1820
                                                            (July-August), David and Martha, and their four sons
                                                            John Harvey, James William, David Goodner and Wylie B.
                                                            and possibly 1 or 2 daughters packed up their
                                                            belongings and moved down the Tennessee River to
                                                            Jackson County, Alabama. Jackson County had just been
                                                            created by an Act on December 13, 1819, from Territory
                                                            ceded by the Cherokee Indians in 1816. Three
                                                            different counties separated the boundries where the
                                                            Parkhills lived later. Jackson, Marshall and Madison.
                                                            John married Sara Clapp in Madison County, Alabama.
                                                            The Moses Birdwell family also lived in Madison
                                                            County. James met Ritha Louise Birdwell, the daughter
                                                            of Moses Birdwell also of Madison County and were
                                                            married there. Other families like the Ricketts,
                                                            Rodens and Worshams left Tennessee with the Parkhills
                                                            and settled there also.
                                                            The 1830 Census of Jackson County, Alabama picks up
                                                            the Parkhill family again showing William also known
                                                            as James Parkhill with his father David Parkhill
                                                            Parkhill, David W. of 4th Range
                                                            Parkhill, William W. of 4th Range
                                                            David Parkhill was one of the early settlers of
                                                            Marshall County. But as before, the boundaries of
                                                            Marshall, Jackson and Madison were not really defined
                                                            as such until later. David Parkhill is listed in the
                                                            Book entitled "The First settlers of Marshall
                                                            county, Alabama, p. 2
                                                            The 1840 Census of Marshall County, Alabama showed the
                                                            following
                                                            Parkhill, David Line 9
                                                            David G. Line 30
                                                            Wylie B. Line 23
                                                            David Parkhill made gifts of land to his son David G.
                                                            Parkhill and daughter Mary H. Parkhill on Honeycomb
                                                            Creek in 1839. It is very possible that Mary's middle
                                                            name was Holden taken from her grandmother Mary
                                                            Holden. There are also land and stock sales recorded
                                                            under David Parkhill's name in Marshall County in
                                                            1840. The land they owned is now lakefront property
                                                            (or is partially under the lake) on Lake Guntersville
                                                            and Honeycomb Creek. This is from a report on a survey
                                                            done by T.V.A. on the cemeteries located on land
                                                            acquired for Guntersville Lake before any dam was
                                                            built. Honeycomb Cemetery is in section 9 of Township
                                                            '7 in Marshall County. The corners of section 9 and
                                                            section 3 join and it appears that David Parkhill's
                                                            land was located about one mile from this cemetery. At
                                                            the cemetery, A. H. Parkhill is buried in grave 193.
                                                            There are two unknown graves 195 and 196 at the end of
                                                            the line of Parkhill graves and right at the top of
                                                            the hill where the earliest graves likely would have
                                                            been placed If this cemetery was there in 1844, graves
                                                            195 & 196 well could be David and Martha Parkhill.
                                                            This cemetery is almost all above water and
                                                            undoubtedly is still there. The high water line on
                                                            Guntersville Lake is 600 ft. The A.H. Parkhill graves
                                                            are just above and below the 630-ft line. The only
                                                            graves that were moved are 1 through 6 on the East
                                                            Side on the 610-ft.line.
                                                            Now David and Martha Parkhill had the following
                                                            children:
                                                            1. Dr. JOHN HARVEY PARKHILL (1800-1842). He settled
                                                            in Kentucky
                                                            2. JAMES WILLIAM PARKHILL (1800-1835)married Ritha
                                                            Louise Birdwell. Ritha later married G. M. Connally
                                                            in 1835 in Blount County, Alabama. This family is
                                                            where I am descended from. They later moved to Texas
                                                            with 9-10 children.
                                                            3. DAVID PARKHILL JR, (1815-MAY 14,1881)married Amand
                                                            Fitzallen Jackson Smith. They moved to Texas with The
                                                            Connally's
                                                            4. WILEY B. PARKHILL. Most of his children remained
                                                            in Jackson County, Texas while others left for Texas
                                                            with David and Ritha Louise Birdwell Parkhill
                                                            Connally. Some of the families that are related are
                                                            Kennamers, Rhodens, Butlers.
                                                            5. ALLEN H. PARKHILL. Lived in Marshall County
                                                            6. HARVEY (HARRY) PARKHILL. No knowledge of any of
                                                            his descendants.
                                                            7. LUTHER MCMAHAN PARKHILL. He later moved to Henry
                                                            County, Tennessee after the Civil WAr
                                                            8. THOMAS BRANDON PARKHILL (1824-1911). Lived in
                                                            Marshall County, Alabama. After David Parkhill Senior
                                                            died, Martha Parkhill widow of David Parkhill lived
                                                            with Thomas and his wife in Guntersville.
                                                            9. MARY H. PARKHILL (1823). No knowledge of her or of
                                                            her descendants. She married a Davis.

                                                            If you can help me with any information regarding this
                                                            family or of anyone else, I would appreciate it very
                                                            much

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 31, 2002
                                                              Do you have any more info on Sarah Bynum and William Messer? This has been
                                                              my brick wall for four years. I would greatly appreciate and help that you
                                                              could give me.

                                                              Geri Beaver

                                                              > If you are related to the Bynums and Sheltons then you are probably
                                                              related to my main line the Messers, My gggrandfather was William Messer m.
                                                              Sarah Bynum around 1845 and Catherine Messer m. John Shelton in Hawkins Co.,
                                                              Tn. then moved to Jackson Co., Ala. Sarah Bynum's father was James Bynum.

                                                              Geri Beaver

                                                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor