Jackson County decendants

  • Jpete75910@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
      Well:
      I thought this mailing list was about dead until a couple of ladies brought
      up the Rodgers family and then it got busy. Now some of the folks want to
      unsubscribe.
      Well, I say good for you because you had nothing to say to the others on
      this list and never helped anybody anyway. Maybe they don't have one of these
      little delete buttons on their computer. Well, I have one and when I get
      something I don't want to read I just delete it and go on with my rat
      killing.
      What ever you do DON'T unsubscribe me because one of these days someone is
      going to ask a question about the folks I am hunting around there and "
      Bozango " I am going to know about it.
      Ain't it funny though - as long as nobody had anything to say these people
      stayed to get NO mail and now someone has a word or two, they want to get
      out.
      Mama always told me to be nice so all I have for the unsubscribers is BYE
      and I'll see y'all in church.

      James Peterson

      Prayer is alright at a prayer meeting, but not worth a damn at a bear
      meeting.

      James Peterson
      Rt 10 box 387
      Texarkana, Ark.
      71854

    • bjbullard
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
        Pat,
        I wish you were old enough to remember my gggrandfather (Joseph Garland of
        Garland's Cove) because you might remember his wife's Maiden Name. ....Bill

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
          In a message dated 8/24/02 2:59:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          Jpete75910@... writes:

          > James Peterson

          Exactly - and one day there will be some looking for the Brazier/Brashear,
          Sanders, Crawfords, Loveless, Hale, Smith, Stephens, Gotcher, Brown families,
          I continue to search for.

          Jimmie Ryan

        • altafae@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
            In a message dated 8/24/02 4:31:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            bjbullard@... writes:

            > Cove

            Does anyone on the list know why things were called Cove in this county -
            were there in fact coves of water? Being from California and not knowing the
            area it would be interesting to know - anyone still in Jackson Co.?

            cuz Jimmie

          • Patricia Mills

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
                It is true that a cove usually refers to an inlet or bay. A cove can also
                refer to what you might call recesses in a mountain range. Jackson County
                is a part of the lower Appalachian Mountains and more notably, the local
                range known as the Cumberland Mountains, thus there are a number of
                recesses, roads around the "foot of the mountain". I think they might be
                known as "hollers" in other parts of the country.

                I lived in Limrock in Jackson County until 1963. It is still in my mind one
                of the most beautiful and relatively untouched counties I have seen,
                although Virginia's Shenendoah Valley comes close. Limrock had three coves.
                They were great for a 16 year old to learn to drive without much
                interferrence.

                My line of Reeds in Jackson County goes back to the 1850s when Great-Great
                Grandfather William B. Reed moved to the county from Roane County, TN via
                Georgia and Arkansas. Also related to Sheltons, Bynums, Potters and
                Austins.

                Earl Reed
                Dayton, TN

              • JH1137@aol.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
                  Hello Pat:
                  I to was born and raised in Scottsboro. I love the mountains and the
                  lakes. Look like a little Switzerland.

                  Jim Havis

                • Patricia Mills
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 24, 2002
                    DEAR MR. EARL REED ,
                    YOU ARE CORRECT, I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN SCOTTSBORO.
                    I WAS BORN IN A HOME IN ONE OF THOSE HOLLERS.
                    IT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE I HAVE EVER LIVED, I CAN PICTURE IT IN MY MIND TODAY.
                    TODAY I LIVE CLOSE TO THE SHENEDOAH MTS. AND THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL BUT NOTHING CAN TOUCH ALABAMA WHEN IT COME TO BEING OUT OF THIS WORLD BEAUTIFUL, LETS JUST SAY A LITTLE HEAVEN ON EARTH .
                    HAVE A BLESSED WEEKEND SIR
                    PAT

                    > In a message dated 8/24/02 4:31:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    > bjbullard@... writes:
                    >

                    > > Cove
                    >
                    > Does anyone on the list know why things were called Cove in this county -
                    > were there in fact coves of water? Being from California and not knowing
                    the
                    > area it would be interesting to know - anyone still in Jackson Co.?
                    >
                    > cuz Jimmie

                  • bjbullard
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                      If all of you keep talking I will be forced to come see Scottsboro for
                      myself. ...Bill

                      I to was born and raised in Scottsboro. I love the mountains and the
                      lakes. Look like a little Switzerland.

                      Jim Havis

                    • Linda Kay Davis
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                        Hi Jimmie
                        I believe it refers to Mountain coves not shoreline
                        coves )))
                        Linda
                        > In a message dated 8/24/02 4:31:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        > bjbullard@... writes:
                        >

                        > > Cove
                        >
                        > Does anyone on the list know why things were called Cove in this county -
                        > were there in fact coves of water? Being from California and not knowing
                        the
                        > area it would be interesting to know - anyone still in Jackson Co.?
                        >
                        > cuz Jimmie

                      • Geri Beaver
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                          I have Betsy Brazier married William Messer in 1869 in Jackson Co., Ala. her father was Elijah Brazier, ring any bells.

                          Geri Beaver

                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                            If you are related to the Bynums and Sheltons then you are probably related to my main line the Messers, My gggrandfather was William Messer m. Sarah Bynum around 1845 and Catherine Messer m. John Shelton in Hawkins Co., Tn. then moved to Jackson Co., Ala. Sarah Bynum father was James Bynum.

                            Geri Beaver

                            > In a message dated 8/24/02 4:31:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                            > bjbullard@... writes:
                            >

                            > > Cove
                            >
                            > Does anyone on the list know why things were called Cove in this county -
                            > were there in fact coves of water? Being from California and not knowing
                            the
                            > area it would be interesting to know - anyone still in Jackson Co.?
                            >
                            > cuz Jimmie

                          • hwj
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                              Here on the southern end of Appalachia the mountains peter out like fingers
                              on a hand .The area between the fingers are good flat level farming ground
                              usually with a creek running through and were the first settled areas. A
                              good spring in the head of a cove was highly prized choice homestead. The
                              cove was usually also named after the person who settled there.

                              Hugh
                            • Patricia Mills
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                DO YOU KNOW WHERE JOE MONEY'S STORE IS? SOUTH OF SCOTTSBORO, ON THE OUT SKIRTS OF TOWN.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                  YOU DO YOU MAY NOT LEAVE, HEHEHE

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                    Geri,
                                    You are correct. John Shelton and Catherine Messer are ancestors of
                                    mine. John and Catherine had a son named William, William produced a son
                                    named Nathaniel who lived until 1928. Nathaniel's son William Edward was
                                    the father of my maternal grandmother Lucy Katherine Shelton Hastings. The
                                    Bynum line comes through Ggrandmother Mary Elizabeth Potter Reed and goes
                                    back to John Byenum born in Surry County, VA in 1616. It only took a couple
                                    of generations to change the spelling to Bynum.
                                    Mary Elizabeth's parents were Martha Evans and Samuel Potter. Martha
                                    Evans' parents were Lewis Evans and Anna Bynum. The Bynum line from John
                                    Byenum to Anna was: John Byenum (1616) I think there may be another Bynum
                                    between John and James Byenum (1666), William Bynum, Sr (1690), William
                                    Bynum, Jr (ABT 1724), Isaac Bynum, Sr (1757). Isaac was Anna's father and
                                    was born in NC; he died in Maynard's Cove in Jackson County.
                                    Interesting bits of information. John Baynhum who was the father of the
                                    John Byenum born in 1616 was a neighbor, in the settlement south of the
                                    James River in VA, of John Rolfe.

                                    Regards,
                                    Earl

                                    > If you are related to the Bynums and Sheltons then you are probably
                                    related to my main line the Messers, My gggrandfather was William Messer m.
                                    Sarah Bynum around 1845 and Catherine Messer m. John Shelton in Hawkins Co.,
                                    Tn. then moved to Jackson Co., Ala. Sarah Bynum's father was James Bynum.

                                    Geri Beaver

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • James Parkhill
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                      My ancester David Parkhill moved from Rhea County,
                                      Tennessee to Jackson County in 1820. He had a family
                                      of 9 and maybe more. My gg-grandfather was named
                                      William Parkhill or possibly James (John) Parkhill who
                                      married Ritha Louise Birdwell. I can't seem to find
                                      anything. William was listed on the 1830 Census of
                                      Jackson County. I wish I could find something on him.
                                      Can you possibly help me?

                                      =====

                                      http://finance.yahoo.com
                                    • Regina Pipes
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                        I am sure you all have heard of the book by HAROLD AND ROBERT CASEY called
                                        SHELTON, WININGER AND PACE FAMILIES. If you haven't, it has a lot of the
                                        names you all have mentioned.

                                        I too am from Jackson County, Hollywood/Scottsboro area. Wish I had the
                                        money to turn Paint Rock valley into a small Gatlinburg. We sue to cut fire
                                        wood there and it has some of the prettiest land and small springs and small
                                        post office buildings. It would be neat to have the locals to sale their
                                        home made quilts, etc. and crops there. It is breath taking in the fall of
                                        the year.

                                      • zrcb@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                          You said you Live in the Hollywood/Scottsboro are. Did you by any chance
                                          know Allie Shrader. Her mother was Dona Boyd Haswell. She was my
                                          grandfather John Boyd's sister. What I am looking for is the cemetery that
                                          my Ggrandfather Robert Boyd is buried in and where my GGgrandparents John
                                          Boyd and Elizabeth Pepper Boyd. Robert died in Bellefonte 10 Aug 1888 and
                                          John died in Scottsboro abt Nov 1884. Elizabeth also died in Scottsboro in
                                          1861.I have been around Scottsboro and I haven't had too much luck finding
                                          them. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. My email address is
                                          Zrcb@...
                                          Thank You Chuck Boyd
                                        • vrgfdonna@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                            Several generations of my GRAHAMS were born in a spot which I was told was
                                            called Graham Cove. It is at the foot of a small mountain there near Holly
                                            Tree. There were also creeks and small streams of water close by.
                                            I agree with you about the beauty of the whole county! When we visited there
                                            about 14 years ago, we fell in love with it. It was hard to see how my
                                            grandparents could've left there in the early 1900's.
                                            Velma

                                          • vrgfdonna@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                              You should! But don't stop there. Go and see the rest of the county, too!

                                            • Patricia Mills
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                                I'LL PRINT THIS OUT AND TAKE IT TO WASHINGTON D.C. THE NEXT TIME I GO WHICH SHOULD BE NEXT WEEKEND- SATURDAY. PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS I'M WATCHING MY GRANDCHILDREN AND I HVE ONE IN MY ARMS.

                                                My ancester David Parkhill moved from Rhea County,
                                                Tennessee to Jackson County in 1820. He had a family
                                                of 9 and maybe more. My gg-grandfather was named
                                                William Parkhill or possibly James (John) Parkhill who
                                                married Ritha Louise Birdwell. I can't seem to find
                                                anything. William was listed on the 1830 Census of
                                                Jackson County. I wish I could find something on him.
                                                Can you possibly help me?
                                                --- Patricia Mills <CherokeePrincess77@...> wrote:
                                                > WHAT'S THE NAME YOU ARE LOOKING FOR? WHAT INFO. DO
                                                > YOU NEED, I DON'T MIND HELPING. TALK TO ME. I WAS
                                                > UP TILL 3:30 THIS MORNING LOOKING AT CEMETERY SITES
                                                > FOR NAMES I WAS NOT JUST LOOKING FOR MY SELF I WAS
                                                > LOOKING FOR TWO OTHER RESEARCHERS. IF WE ALL WORK
                                                > TOGETHER WE CAN HELP ONE ANOTHER ISN'T THAT WHAT
                                                > THIS IS ALL ABOUT HELPING ONE ANOTHER?
                                                > THE WAY I DO IT IS WHEN SONEONE NEEDS HELP IN A AREA
                                                > LIKE SEARCHING THE CEMETERYS IN JACKSON COUNTY, I
                                                > POST THE OTHER PERSONS FAMILY NAMES AT THE BOTTOM OF
                                                > MY MONITOR AS I'M SEARCHING FOR THE NAME I'M LOOKIN
                                                > FOR I ALSO LOOK FOR THEM.
                                                > ARE YOU FROM JACKSON CTY. ALA.?
                                                > THE INFO. I SENT ON LINE ANYTHING RING A BELL WITH
                                                > YOU?
                                                > I LIVE ABOUT 30 MILES FROM WASHINGTON D.C. ARCHIVES,
                                                > ARE YOU UP AGAINST A BRICK WALL TOO.? IF I CAN HELP
                                                > JUST LET MR KNOW I'LL TRY TO DO MY BEST NOT SAYING
                                                > THAT'S SO GOOD AFTER ALL I'M AT A BRICK WALL MY
                                                > SELF.
                                                > A MS.CHAMBLESS OFFERED HER EXPERT ADVICE SHE THINKS
                                                > I NEED TO GO TO A DIFFERNT STATE LIKE GA.
                                                > YOU KNOW THIS RESEARCH YOU CAN LOOSE SLEEP OVER IT,
                                                > HEHEHEHE
                                                > THE INFORMATION SOME DAY WILL BE IMPORANT TO MY
                                                > FAMILY SO I JUST KEEP AT IT. AT THIS TIME I'M DOING
                                                > ALLOT OF PRAYING ABOUT THIS ONE, IT'S IMPORTANT TO
                                                > GET PASSED THIS BRICK WALL, IT'S TO EARY IN THE GAME
                                                > TO STOP WITH THIS NAME. I'M ONLY AT THE 1840 YR. SO
                                                > MUCH MORE TO SEE AND LEARN HA.
                                                > NICE TALKING WITH YOU.
                                                > A FRIEND OF MINE SAYS WE SHOULD NEVER SAY GOOD BY
                                                > JUST SAY.
                                                > LATER GATOR.
                                                > PAT RESEARCHING THE RODGERS/ROGERS

                                                =====

                                              • Regina Pipes
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                                  Have you checked in Marshall county, Alabama? There is some PARKHILL'S there
                                                  in 1840 then I find some back in Jackson County in 1850.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                                    I lived in Hollywood about thirty years ago. When I went to church in
                                                    Hollywood one of the preachers was a SHRADER. I remember some HASWELLS
                                                    also. I'll see what I can find. I live in Texas right now but hope to be
                                                    back in Alabama within a year or two.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                                      Yes, my great great grandmother - second wife of Elijah Brazier, Jr. b 1800
                                                      SC, son of Elijah Brazier, Sr. b. 1776 NC who settled in Scottsborro, Jackson
                                                      Co., Alabama in the 1810's.

                                                      You were the first person to give me information on my family, through you I
                                                      located many others, thank you.

                                                      cuz Jimmie

                                                    • Patricia Mills
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 25, 2002
                                                        BLESS YOU,
                                                        I KNOW THAT MUST OF BEEN A WOUNDERFUL FEELING.
                                                        I GOT GOOSE BUMPS JUST READING YOU'RE MESSAGE.

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 26, 2002
                                                          That preacher in Hollywood was probably named Otho Shrader he was married
                                                          to my 2nd cousin Allie Haswell. Also there was Hugh and Dona Haswell. Dona
                                                          Boyd Haswell was my great aunt. Looking forward to hearing from you . Chuck
                                                        • Regina Pipes
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Aug 26, 2002
                                                            Yes, Otho was his name. He preached at the Hollywood Baptist Church and he
                                                            also worked for the state of Alabama with my Dad. It has been thirty
                                                            something years ago since I went to church there.

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 29, 2002
                                                              David Parkhill is recorded on the 1819 Rhea County
                                                              Tennessee Tax Roll. Around the middle of 1820
                                                              (July-August), David and Martha, and their four sons
                                                              John Harvey, James William, David Goodner and Wylie B.
                                                              and possibly 1 or 2 daughters packed up their
                                                              belongings and moved down the Tennessee River to
                                                              Jackson County, Alabama. Jackson County had just been
                                                              created by an Act on December 13, 1819, from Territory
                                                              ceded by the Cherokee Indians in 1816. Three
                                                              different counties separated the boundries where the
                                                              Parkhills lived later. Jackson, Marshall and Madison.
                                                              John married Sara Clapp in Madison County, Alabama.
                                                              The Moses Birdwell family also lived in Madison
                                                              County. James met Ritha Louise Birdwell, the daughter
                                                              of Moses Birdwell also of Madison County and were
                                                              married there. Other families like the Ricketts,
                                                              Rodens and Worshams left Tennessee with the Parkhills
                                                              and settled there also.
                                                              The 1830 Census of Jackson County, Alabama picks up
                                                              the Parkhill family again showing William also known
                                                              as James Parkhill with his father David Parkhill
                                                              Parkhill, David W. of 4th Range
                                                              Parkhill, William W. of 4th Range
                                                              David Parkhill was one of the early settlers of
                                                              Marshall County. But as before, the boundaries of
                                                              Marshall, Jackson and Madison were not really defined
                                                              as such until later. David Parkhill is listed in the
                                                              Book entitled "The First settlers of Marshall
                                                              county, Alabama, p. 2
                                                              The 1840 Census of Marshall County, Alabama showed the
                                                              following
                                                              Parkhill, David Line 9
                                                              David G. Line 30
                                                              Wylie B. Line 23
                                                              David Parkhill made gifts of land to his son David G.
                                                              Parkhill and daughter Mary H. Parkhill on Honeycomb
                                                              Creek in 1839. It is very possible that Mary's middle
                                                              name was Holden taken from her grandmother Mary
                                                              Holden. There are also land and stock sales recorded
                                                              under David Parkhill's name in Marshall County in
                                                              1840. The land they owned is now lakefront property
                                                              (or is partially under the lake) on Lake Guntersville
                                                              and Honeycomb Creek. This is from a report on a survey
                                                              done by T.V.A. on the cemeteries located on land
                                                              acquired for Guntersville Lake before any dam was
                                                              built. Honeycomb Cemetery is in section 9 of Township
                                                              '7 in Marshall County. The corners of section 9 and
                                                              section 3 join and it appears that David Parkhill's
                                                              land was located about one mile from this cemetery. At
                                                              the cemetery, A. H. Parkhill is buried in grave 193.
                                                              There are two unknown graves 195 and 196 at the end of
                                                              the line of Parkhill graves and right at the top of
                                                              the hill where the earliest graves likely would have
                                                              been placed If this cemetery was there in 1844, graves
                                                              195 & 196 well could be David and Martha Parkhill.
                                                              This cemetery is almost all above water and
                                                              undoubtedly is still there. The high water line on
                                                              Guntersville Lake is 600 ft. The A.H. Parkhill graves
                                                              are just above and below the 630-ft line. The only
                                                              graves that were moved are 1 through 6 on the East
                                                              Side on the 610-ft.line.
                                                              Now David and Martha Parkhill had the following
                                                              children:
                                                              1. Dr. JOHN HARVEY PARKHILL (1800-1842). He settled
                                                              in Kentucky
                                                              2. JAMES WILLIAM PARKHILL (1800-1835)married Ritha
                                                              Louise Birdwell. Ritha later married G. M. Connally
                                                              in 1835 in Blount County, Alabama. This family is
                                                              where I am descended from. They later moved to Texas
                                                              with 9-10 children.
                                                              3. DAVID PARKHILL JR, (1815-MAY 14,1881)married Amand
                                                              Fitzallen Jackson Smith. They moved to Texas with The
                                                              Connally's
                                                              4. WILEY B. PARKHILL. Most of his children remained
                                                              in Jackson County, Texas while others left for Texas
                                                              with David and Ritha Louise Birdwell Parkhill
                                                              Connally. Some of the families that are related are
                                                              Kennamers, Rhodens, Butlers.
                                                              5. ALLEN H. PARKHILL. Lived in Marshall County
                                                              6. HARVEY (HARRY) PARKHILL. No knowledge of any of
                                                              his descendants.
                                                              7. LUTHER MCMAHAN PARKHILL. He later moved to Henry
                                                              County, Tennessee after the Civil WAr
                                                              8. THOMAS BRANDON PARKHILL (1824-1911). Lived in
                                                              Marshall County, Alabama. After David Parkhill Senior
                                                              died, Martha Parkhill widow of David Parkhill lived
                                                              with Thomas and his wife in Guntersville.
                                                              9. MARY H. PARKHILL (1823). No knowledge of her or of
                                                              her descendants. She married a Davis.

                                                              If you can help me with any information regarding this
                                                              family or of anyone else, I would appreciate it very
                                                              much

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Aug 31, 2002
                                                                Do you have any more info on Sarah Bynum and William Messer? This has been
                                                                my brick wall for four years. I would greatly appreciate and help that you
                                                                could give me.

                                                                Geri Beaver

                                                                > If you are related to the Bynums and Sheltons then you are probably
                                                                related to my main line the Messers, My gggrandfather was William Messer m.
                                                                Sarah Bynum around 1845 and Catherine Messer m. John Shelton in Hawkins Co.,
                                                                Tn. then moved to Jackson Co., Ala. Sarah Bynum's father was James Bynum.

                                                                Geri Beaver

                                                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor