Little Cove Cemetery

  • P smith
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
      I was wondering if anyone could tell me where Little Cove Cemetery is located?  I am not sure if it is in Jackson or Madison Co., AL...

      Thank you in advance.  pat smith
    • blackcloud27030
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
        Pat

        It is not listed either in Jackson, Madison, DeKalb, Etowah or Marshall County in my cemeteries book. Perhaps someone in the Group knows where Little Cove is?

        Clay

        I was wondering if anyone could tell me where Little Cove Cemetery is located?  I am not sure if it is in Jackson or Madison Co., AL...

        Thank you in advance.  pat smith

      • Mark Klan
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
          Re: [jacksongenealogy] Little Cove Cemetery Via google, I see one in Cumberland County, TN, southeast of Crossville.  There's another in Wears Valley (foothills of the Smokies), again in Tennessee.  I don't see one in Alabama, unfortunately.

          Mark

          4/17/2014 8:51 PM, Blackcloud27030 wrote:

          Pat

          It is not listed either in Jackson, Madison, DeKalb, Etowah or Marshall County in my cemeteries book. Perhaps someone in the Group knows where Little Cove is?

          Clay

          I was wondering if anyone could tell me where Little Cove Cemetery is located?  I am not sure if it is in Jackson or Madison Co., AL...

          Thank you in advance.  pat smith

        • Ginny Young
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014

            There is a Little Cove Road close to Gurley in Madison County. It runs through the Hampton Cove neighborhood now. On this road is Jenkins Cemetery, which is an old cemetery in the area. Could this be the cemetery in question?  A neighborhood has built up around the cemetery, but it still rests in a clump of trees there in the middle of all those houses. For years, it could be accessed from Little Cove Road, but now to get to it, you have to drive into the neighborhood and go in the back of the cemetery. I'm sorry but I don't know the neighborhood name.  I grew up in New Hope but have lived in Texas for many years. One of the families buried in the cemetery is the Childress family, and Hugh Martin Childress was the sweetheart of my g-grandmother, Hester Chandler. He was killed in the Battle of Baton Rouge on August 5, 1862, and Hester married Thomas Carpenter in 1863. I had to search for the cemetery about 12 years ago and then again 2 years ago.

            Best,

            Ginny

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 17, 2014
              Priscilla Keel, daughter of Jesse (Jett)and Elvira McCartney Keel is buried in "Little Cove" cemetery.  Priscilla's husband was buried in the Jenkins cemetery you mention.  It seemed odd that as they died one month apart one would be buried in one cemetery and one in another but that's what is on their death records.

              Thanks to all you replied.

              pat smith

              To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
              From: giniy@...
              Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

[...]

            • Cindy Smith
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                Ginny,

                Is your Thomas Carpenter related to the Thomas M. Carpenter (1810-1853) of Carroll Co., GA who married Lucinda Barrow?

                Cindy Holdridge Smith

                Holdridge Family Genealogy http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/

                To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                From: giniy@...
                Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                  The Dept of Geography College of Arts and Sciences, U. of AL. developed an Atlas with the objective of locating all of the cemeteries in AL. In 2000, they prepared a report for me which identified all cemeteries that they had found (or had been identified to them ) in Jackson(339) and Madison(442) counties with the coordinates for their locations. There is not one called "Little Cove" listed. There is also a list of historical places and while there are some coves mentioned, there isn't a Little Cove. Sorry I couldn't be of help.

                  Harris Atkins
                • Helen Lopez
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                    According to the publication Keel and Related Families Part 1  Priscilla Keel b. Dec. 1846 in Gurley, Madison Co., AL died 3 Nov 1918 and is buried in Jenkins Cemetery, Little Cove, Madison Co., AL.  Priscilla married Horace Tucker Williams 16 Dec 1871 in Madison Co., AL.  Horace Tucker Williams died 18 Oct 1918 and is also buried in Jenkins Cemetery, Little Cove, Madison Co., AL.  The Jenkins Cemetery is behind a subdivision.

                    Priscilla was named after her Grandmother Priscilla Whitaker who married Jesse Keel.  Jesse Keel is buried on top of Keel Mountain and is on private property which is still owned by Keel family.  Priscilla Whitaker Keel is buried at the bottom of Keel Mountain in a small cemetery.  The reason Priscilla is not buried on top of Keel Mountain in family cemetery was because Priscilla was visiting family in the valley (Gurley) at the time of her death and it was in the dead of winter and because of the ice they could not get up the Mountain to bury her.  I know that area very well and go up the mountain all the time to visit friends and if it is icy on the roads it is still very hard to get up cold, rain, ice or snow I don't even try to get up the road.

                    To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                    From: giniy@...
                    Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

[...]

                  • Waynette Davis
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014

                      Curious, how do you access this cemetery list you mentioned that the U of Alabama Dept of Geography Arts and Sciences has compiled?

                      Waynette Davis

                    • Ginny Young
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                        Cindy,

                        Thomas Carpenter (1820 on tombstone or 1826 in family Bible - 1913) in Madison County, Alabama was the son of Willis Carpenter and Elizabeth "Betsy" Ross. As far as I know, the family line did not travel down through Georgia. They came from North Carolina to Tennessee and then settled in north Alabama. Willis Carpenter was the son of John Carpenter and Jane Tucker of North Carolina and they traveled to Madison County with son, Willis, and died there. I do not have names of other children for John and Jane.

                        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                        From: giniy@...
                        Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

                      • burby9@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014

                          Tucker ??? I have a Tucker photo I have never figured out who it is. I connect to Williams, Vann, Mccutchen. Roger

                          Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

                          To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                          From: giniy@...
                          Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                            Waynette

                            The maps are from a book called Historical Atlas of  Alabama Volume II: Cemeteries. You can order the whole book or by individual county. Price is $60 for the book or $5.00 for the first county then $3.00 for each additional one. Google: geography.ua.edu/cartlab/  then click on Publications or google: University of Alabama Cartographic Research Laboratory.

                            I bought Jackson and the surrounding counties a few years ago. They make up a very nice book of the counties that you order.

                            Clay

                            Curious, how do you access this cemetery list you mentioned that the U of Alabama Dept of Geography Arts and Sciences has compiled?
                            Waynette Davis

                          • Roger Burbank
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                              Can I attach the photo of the unknown Tucker to these emails ?  Roger

                              To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                              From: giniy@...
                              Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                                Ginny, I thought I sent you the photo.  Roger

                                To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                From: giniy@...
                                Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                                  Roger

                                  You can post your photos at the Group Home Website under Photos.

                                  Clay

                                  To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: giniy@...
                                  Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                                    Hi Roger,

                                    Yes you did send me the picture. The Tucker photo that you sent would not have been Jane Tucker considering that she was born circa 1760 or so. Willis Carpenter was born 1783 and died 1877 according to family hisotry. I never have figured out who the Tucker is in the photo.

                                    Ginny

                                    To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: giniy@...
                                    Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 18, 2014
                                      Free dinner who figures it out.  It has been bugging me for a long time.  I sent it to Charlie also.  Roger

                                      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: giniy@...
                                      Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 19, 2014
                                        Well I know its not her.  I have the persons name but cannot connect.  Rog

                                        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: giniy@...
                                        Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 19, 2014
                                          For whatever its worth, Little Cove Road is access road to  McMullin Road which goes around the base of Keel Mountain on the eastern and southern sides.

                                          John M. Green

                                          To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: giniy@...
                                          Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500