Jackson County in 1857- was there an epidemic of some kind?

  • brenda_mclain
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2014
      Does anyone know if there was an epidemic or a natural disaster in Jackson County around 1857? I have several members of my Blackwell family that died during that year, along with others as noted in the Paint Rock Baptist Church (or Mud Creek?)  church minutes. I find it odd that old and young died all in that year.
      Thanks!
    • Ann
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2014
        There was a scarlet fever epidemic in Jackson county in and around 1857.  I know of grave markers in several cemeteries for children/young adults whose ages range from 1 to 20.  My own family was affected by the death of two little girls.  45 years later, two more little girls in this family dressed up in clothes from an old trunk that still contained clothing of the two who died in either 1856 or 1857, and the girls who were playing dress-up in the old clothes also contracted scarlet fever but survived to tell of their childhood disease.   One was my grandmother.
        Ann B. Chambless

      • Bbrock1945
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 22, 2014
          Hello
          I do not know about an epidemic in 1857 but would like to know if anyone knows of a Christine/Christina/Christiana Williams who may have died about that time.  She was the wife of John Williams who died previous to 1850.  I can't find her anywhere after 1850.  The family were members of Paint Rock Baptist Church so found Brenda's post of interest!

          Thanks
          Brenda Vanderpool Brockman
          Does anyone know if there was an epidemic or a natural disaster in Jackson County around 1857? I have several members of my Blackwell family that died during that year, along with others as noted in the Paint Rock Baptist Church (or Mud Creek?)  church minutes. I find it odd that old and young died all in that year.
          Thanks!
        • Waynette Davis
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 22, 2014

            Thank you for sharing the story of your grandmother's scarlet fever  in the 1850's and later.  Very interesting.  Waynette Davis

          • Brenda McLain

              Does anyone know if there was an epidemic or a natural disaster in Jackson County around 1857? I have several members of my Blackwell family that died during that year, along with others as noted in the Paint Rock Baptist Church (or Mud Creek?)  church minutes. I find it odd that old and young died all in that year.
              Thanks!

            • JL Hamilton
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 23, 2014

                That is a great story.

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 23, 2014
                  Ann,
                  Appreciate your posting that story!

                  Brenda B.

                  There was a scarlet fever epidemic in Jackson county in and around 1857.  I know of grave markers in several cemeteries for children/young adults whose ages range from 1 to 20.  My own family was affected by the death of two little girls.  45 years later, two more little girls in this family dressed up in clothes from an old trunk that still contained clothing of the two who died in either 1856 or 1857, and the girls who were playing dress-up in the old clothes also contracted scarlet fever but survived to tell of their childhood disease.   One was my grandmother.
                  Ann B. Chambless

                • deb allen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 23, 2014
                    thanks to ann for such a wonderful share.

                    To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 7:48 AM

                    That is a great
                    story.  From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 24, 2014

                      Mrs. Allen do you know a Barbara Allen and she has a sister I am just older and cannot remember the name.

                      John Hamilton

                      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 7:48 AM

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 24, 2014
                        Is your Allen in Jackson County.
                        Larry

                        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 7:48 AM

                        --
                        Larry G. Williams
                        Director, Agrimissions
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 25, 2014

                          Yes they live in Jackson county.

                          To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 7:48 AM

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 25, 2014
                            sorry john. my husband's paternal family came from the portsmouth, ohio/floyd, ky area. i have wondered from time to time if there is a connection between them and my mother's lines from jackson, al but have never been able to prove it. deb

                            To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Monday, February 24, 2014, 6:32 AM

                            remember the name.John Hamilton  From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 7:48 AM

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 25, 2014
                              there were some allens who lived up near the head of little coon back in the mid to late 1800s that i studied. i wish i could find a researcher named randy allen (from tn i think) ... we communicated many years ago and he was very knowledgeable about that family. have never had luck finding him after his old email address changed. wish i could help you more. deb

                              To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Monday, February 24, 2014, 1:41 PM

                              Is your Allen in Jackson
                              County.

[...]