Jacksongenealogy

  • Cynthia
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 19
      I'm hoping to find any information that may be out there about Mathan Riddle born 1798 & his wife Rodah Cooper. Possibly from paint rock area. They moved to Arkansas around 1840 with their daughter Grezzy & son in law William Jones (b.1820). Any info on any of these people would be greatly appreciated.

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Karl Plenge
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 20
        These folks are buried in Salem Cemetery in Cedarville, AR:

        They are incorrectly listed as Nathan and Rhoda, but if you look at the photo of the headstone, you can see Mathan and Rodah.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 20
          There are also several trees on RootsWeb WorldConnect which have information on them.

          If you go here:  http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ and enter riddle for the surname and mathan for the given name you will get a list of them.

          The second one in the list (database name rsignett) has a lot of info, including information on William and Grizelda and their offspring.  Also has information on them when in Jackson Co and when they moved.

          I'm hoping to find any information that may be out there about Mathan Riddle born 1798 & his wife Rodah Cooper. Possibly from paint rock area. They moved to Arkansas around 1840 with their daughter Grezzy & son in law William Jones (b.1820). Any info on any of these people would be greatly appreciated.

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Nicole
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 21
            Cynthia,

            I live in Arkansas. My family came from Alabama to Arkansas as well. We are two different families but if you need help finding any information here, email me at nhastings83@.... I am very passionate about genealogy and will help any way I can.

            Have a great day!
            Nicki Hastings

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22
              Thanks for pointing this out - anyone can suggest corrections for findagrave.com, by the way.  I submitted corrections for the spelling of Mathan and Rodah, so those should show up soon.
            • Cynthia
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 22
                Thank you so much!  Mathan was my 4th great grandfather.  I'm glad this is finally corrected.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Feb 22, 2014, at 6:05 AM, <jwright01@...> wrote:

                Thanks for pointing this out - anyone can suggest corrections for findagrave.com, by the way.  I submitted corrections for the spelling of Mathan and Rodah, so those should show up soon.

              • Roger Burbank
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4
                  My Mccutchen's went to Arkansas from Alabama also.  One of my Mccutchen;s married a Riddle.  Roger

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4

                    I also have a relative who left AL for AR.  Was there any particular draw to AR at this time (1870's or 1880's - not sure exactly when he went) that caused folks from AL to go there instead of TX or other points west?

                  • Nicole
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4
                      Where did they settle in Arkansas Roger?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4
                        I have herd it was more friendly to mix blood.

                        I also have a relative who left AL for AR.  Was there any particular draw to AR at this time (1870's or 1880's - not sure exactly when he went) that caused folks from AL to go there instead of TX or other points west?

                      • Pat Foster
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 4
                          It's been a while since I researched it but I'm pretty sure it was land.  My family,  John M Russell, was there by 1870. He was also Confederate and had very few citizen's rights-voting etc. "Arkansas Territory" was a HUGE area.

                          Give your children 2 things, one is roots, the other--wings!!!

                          Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIX™ HD on AT&T

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 4
                            Forest City AR.  And surrounding area.  I think some of the Vann family headed there also.  My family in Alabama were the Mccutchens, Williams, Vanns, Carothers and Isbell.  Roger  ps for some reason your emails are coming in my junk folder.  My 2nd great grandfather is in 1870 census living with his uncle, next time I find him is 1878 married in AR.