Another Reason to Visit the LDS Family History Centers

  • blackcloud27030
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2014
      It has just been announced that free access to ancestry.com, findmypast.com and findmyheritage.com will be granted at LDS Family History Centers worldwide.

      Clay
    • Waynette Davis
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2014

        So what does that mean exactly........benefit for those centers and the users of those centers?

        Or does it imply more?

        Waynette

      • blackcloud27030
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2014
          Waynette

          For the users of those Centers.

          The LDS History Centers are open to anyone regardless whether or not you are a church member.

          Another benefit of going to the Centers is that you can order microfilm/microfiche, from the Granite Mountain, of many documents that are not yet on line, such as court, wills, and land records. They come to the Center and you can view and copy them there.

          Check for the Center nearest you and check for their hours. Many have limited hours and are staffed by volunteers many of whom are not LDS members. Just google LDS History Center to find one nearest you.

          One of the reasons the LDS is going into partnership with the commercial companies is that it would take them over 300 years to get all the billions of records they have in the Granite Mountain in Utah scanned and on line plus the billions of new records being made daily.

          Clay
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2014
            Hi
             I am a member of this forum.  My ancestry from Jackson County :, Rudder, McMahan, Moore, Wimberley, Gonce, Tally .....

            i am also a Director of an LDS Family History Center.  Each family history center is a little bit different, however, they all have the same goal.  That goal is to help people find their family history.  The centers are staffed with a volunteer staff, people who generally love genealogy and want to help others.  These volunteers may or may not be members of the LDS church.  I have three volunteers who are not members and 11 that are members, working in out center.

            These centers are used by members and non members alike.  In my experience, non members are the largest group of users by far.
            The centers are public libraries.

            Each center will have some collections that are unique.  We have a good book collection on the South Eastern States and books that apply to our own locality.  We have files and microfilm related to our locality etc.

            Each center will have things that are the same everywhere.  That would be the computer portal.
            Using an LDS family history center (Now being called Family Search Centers) you will get free access to numerous online subscription databases.  This list includes Ancestry.com and Fold 3 (formerly footnote) Here is a list of the other current databases:

            Family Search.org  (research site is free for everyone from your home computer)

            These are subscription services:

            Ancestry.com

            The 19th Century British Library Newspapers Digital Archive

            Access Newspaper Archives

            Alexander Street Press, American Civil War

            ArkivDigital Online

            Fold 3 (Formerly Footnote.com)

            The Genealogist

            Heritage Quest Online

            Historical Map Works Library Edition

            Legacy Stories

            Origins.net

            Paper Trail

            World Vital Records

            For complete descriptions of the above databases click on the link below

            https://help.familysearch.org/publishing/699/106761_f.SAL_Public.html

            Two new HUGE partners have just been announced and will be added to the list soon.

            hopefully, you would go to a library during it's open hours and be greeted by a consultant.  They should be able to take a look at your goals and direct you to some resources.   Through familysearch.org, you can look at the vast card catalog of the Salt Lake Library and see which records are online or order microfilm to be sent to a center of your choice.  I let people know when their microfilm arrives and they come to the library to view it.  Some people coming in the center are already proficient in research and just want to use the portal to premium websites to save some money.  Some come in with no idea what they want or need, they just want to get started to learn about their family history.  I think that each can find success in our library.

            Since the staff is 100% volunteer and there are 0 paid positions in a FHC, consultants range from expert to beginner.  Contacting the center ahead can increase your chances of being teamed up with the person most likely to meet your needs.  Also, centers may close unexpectedly due to illness or weather.  Having an appointment (at least at first) is a good way to be sure you are contacted if there is any change in the library schedule.

            Please feel free to ask me any questions about using an LDS center, i will be glad to respond.  janetanderson507@...

            Hope this helps.
          • diane.cagle
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2014
              Clay, when I first started to study my family history I went to LSD for info but found out later it was not correct. This has led a lot of folks to believe, because this came from the church, it must be correct.

              Bill Cagle

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2014
                Bill

                If you are talking about info or family trees submitted you are correct, that info or tree is only as good as the researcher and what sources they used and many of the trees are wrong.

                What I am talking about is looking up the primary sources, copies of the actual documents, not just something submitted by a researcher. You should always check the original source as many times those old family stories are just not correct. I have found the best policy is always to doubt and double check everything especially if they include no sources that you can check.

                Unless you can travel around to all the courthouses or state depositories the easiest way� to check the original source is through the Family History Center. Have them order microfilm of those sources stored in Salt Lake for you to view.

                Clay

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 8, 2014
                  Clay, this is the exact way my study went but now I have, as you said, actual documents to support the info. Thanks a lot to your support.

                  Bill Cagle