Marriage of James Champion

  • Raymond Shirley
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
      I'm looking for the record of the marriage of James F. Champion and
      Sarah ________ in about 1859. They were listed in District 1,
      Stevenson, page 397 in the 1860 census. I'm also looking for the date
      of James Champion's death. It occurred between 1865 and 1870.
    • Ann Chambless
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
        The Jackson County, AL marriage records between October 13, 1856 and
        October 1859 are not extant. I suspect they were burned by Sherman's
        troops when they destroyed other county court records and the court
        house during the Civil War.
        There are a very few exceptions to the above statement. For instance,
        the marriage of Alexander Gay to Delilah Ambrester shows their license
        was issued on 16 Aug 1857 and their marriage was performed on 17 Aug
        1857, and Odum C. Talent and Matilda Duncan's marriage license was
        issued on June 5, 1857 (marriage performed the same day.) John Byrd
        and Mary Jane Lee's license and marriage are recorded as 13 Sep 1859.
        John W. Kerr and Mary J. Sisk's license was issued 6 June 1859 and was
        solemnized 8 June 1959. L W. Taylor and Martha M. Davis' license was
        issued 19 Sep 1859 and their marriage was solemnized 21 Sep 1859.
        I suspect these 5 couples had their marriage license re-recorded after
        the Civil War.
        If your ancestor married between October 1856 and October 1859, there
        will be no record of their marriage other than the 5 couples cited
        above.
        Ann B. Chambless
        abc123@...
      • Jewel Casey
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
          Thanks Ann, that's very helpful. We have purchased Marriage Records of
          Jackson County, Al

          1851-1856 (Jan. 1851-Oct. 1856)

          1859-1871 (Oct. 1859-Feb. 1871)

          1871-1881 (Feb. 1871-Mar. 1881

          Do you know if any marriages after 1881 has been published for Jackson
          County?

          Haven't been able to find any marriage books on Madison County, AL, sure
          wish they were available.

          Thanks a million
          Jewel
          > The Jackson County, AL marriage records between October 13, 1856 and
          > October 1859 are not extant. I suspect they were burned by Sherman's
          > troops when they destroyed other county court records and the court
          > house during the Civil War.
          > There are a very few exceptions to the above statement. For instance,
          > the marriage of Alexander Gay to Delilah Ambrester shows their license
          > was issued on 16 Aug 1857 and their marriage was performed on 17 Aug
          > 1857, and Odum C. Talent and Matilda Duncan's marriage license was
          > issued on June 5, 1857 (marriage performed the same day.) John Byrd
          > and Mary Jane Lee's license and marriage are recorded as 13 Sep 1859.
          > John W. Kerr and Mary J. Sisk's license was issued 6 June 1859 and was
          > solemnized 8 June 1959. L W. Taylor and Martha M. Davis' license was
          > issued 19 Sep 1859 and their marriage was solemnized 21 Sep 1859.
          > I suspect these 5 couples had their marriage license re-recorded after
          > the Civil War.
          > If your ancestor married between October 1856 and October 1859, there
          > will be no record of their marriage other than the 5 couples cited
          > above.
          > Ann B. Chambless
          > abc123@...

        • Jewel Casey
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
            Looked 1859-1871 Jackson County and didn't find James F. Champion.
            Jewel

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
              As far as I know, Jackson County, AL marriages records after 1881 have
              not been published.
              Ann B. Chambless
              abc123@...
            • Raymond Shirley
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
                Thanks Ann for your reply. I'm grasping at straws in an effort to learn
                the surname of Sarah. I guess it will remain one of life's mysteries.

                Ann Chambless wrote:

                >As far as I know, Jackson County, AL marriages records after 1881 have
                >not been published.
                >Ann B. Chambless
                >abc123@...

              • bjbullard
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
                  Speaking of surnames, does anyone doing research around Scottboro happen to
                  know Joseph GARLAND's wife, Etha Malinda UNKNOWN's maiden name? He is buried
                  in Centerpoint Cemetery and she is buried In Golden Cemetery, Golden, Wood
                  Co., Texas. He died c. 1887 and she died c. 1903.

                  Thank you,
                  Bill Bullard