Isaac Coulson & family

  • Jacki Richey
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2014
      Isaac Coulson was born in West Nottingham, Cecil Co. MD in 1791.

      He married Pheraby (sp?) Dean in Grayson Co VA in 1805. She was 20 years old.

      The Coulson family lived in White Co TN about 20 years and settled in Jackson Co AL before 1840. The census record for Isaac Coulson for 1840 gave the following:

      Family of 9: males (1 under 5, 1 10-14, 1 15-19, 1 20-29, 1 60-69), females (1 10-14, 1 15-19, 1 20-29, 1 50-59)

      It is believed that Isaac died before 1850 in Jackson Co.

      Isaac was shown in the 1830 census with 10 children. Only the names of two of those children are known, plus two born later.

      --Jacob Coulson b 1806 in VA
          m? Joanne Graham
          lived in Jackson Co by 1839
          Jacob died in 1880 in Jackson Co.

      --Pheraby Coulson b abt 1820 in TN
          m Joseph Wilson abt 1837
          moved to Jackson Co by 1850
          last seen in the 1880 census as a widow in Jackson Co

      --Elizabeth Coulson b abt 1831 in TN
         m Willis Preston Young abt 1849
         moved to Jackson Co by 1850
         last seen in the 1880 census as a widow in Jackson Co

      --Lafayette Coulson b abt 1839 in AL
         only seen in the 1850 census in Jackson Co AL

      I am happy to share information (mostly from census records). Would appreciate death and burial information on any of these people.

      Many thanks,
      Jacki
    • Charles McCutchen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 15, 2014
        The only Coulson I have in my tree is Lawson C. Coulson(1832-1912).  He lived in Madison County, Al and married Pheby Caroline Bryant

        On the group page go to files and then look for MegaCemJacksonAll_r03222009.txt

        That's a county wide cemetery listing.

        On Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:53 AM, Jacki Richey <pdxjackimex@...> wrote:

[...]

      • blackcloud27030
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 15, 2014
          Jacki

          Henry Harrison Coulson son of Jacob and Joanne (Graham) Coulson m. Juliet Gullatt dau of my Ggandfather James Madison Gullatt Sr and his first wife Jerusha Juliett Clark. Peter H. Gullatt son of Thomas J. Gullatt Sr (James M.'s twin) and his first wife Martha Elizabeth Clark, Peter m. Pheraba Pheraby Wilson dau of Joseph Wilson and Pheraby Coulson. The Clarks were sisters, daus of Issac Clark and Jermina Welch, Jemina was full blood Cherokee.

          I have much more but am not feeling well these days and can't set at the computer very long so will get back to you later.

          Note that the first Isaac Coulson was b. 1781 in what was then Montgomery Co. VA and going through three divisions is now Carroll County VA. The area where Isaac's father Jacob Coulson settled in 1782 is near Woodlawn, Carroll Co. VA.

          Note that West Nottingham, Cecil Co. MD became West Nottingham, Chester Co. PA when the state line was redrawn.

          Clay

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 25, 2014
            Charles, I was excited about looking at MegaCemJacksonAll_r03222009.txt,

            but it is not in the Files for this group. I hope someone can upload it again. It would be a very helpful resource.

            Many thanks,

            Jacki

          • richeypdx
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2014

              Clay, I appreciate your writing to me and hope you are feeling better.

              I was aware that West Nottingham moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania, but your comment made me curious as to why. I found this web site:

              http://pabook.libraries.psu.edu/palitmap/MasonDixon.html  The Calverts and Penns disputed the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania for decades and even fought over it. Their royal land grants did not spell out the same boundary, a fairly common problem. So Mr. Mason and Mr Dixon were finally sent to the area to draw the boundary. The line was extended prior to the Civil War to determine which states were free and which were slave.

              Clay, I would love to exchange info on the Coulsons with you when you are feeling well. My email address is pdxjackimex at hotmail.com.

              Jacki

            • blackcloud27030
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2014
                Jacki

                I just checked MegaCemJacksonAll under Files at the Group Home Website it is still there and it works.

                Feeling better after they changed one of my meds.

                Clay

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2014
                  Your comments about the Mason Dixon survey made me think of the book "How the States Got Their Shapes" by Mark Stein. It tells some interesting stories about the choices made regarding state boundaries.

                  Why does Alabama have a bite of Mississippi in the northwest corner? Why do the eastern and western borders of Alabama bend instead of being straight?

                   Martha in California

                  Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 27, 2014
                    You are right. I don't know why I could not find it before.
                  • richeypdx
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 27, 2014
                      Clay, do you know if Isaac Coulson and his wife, Pheraby, died in Jackson County? They were not listed in the MegaCemetery file.

                      Their son, Jacob, and his wife, Joanne, did die in Jackson County, but they were not listed in the burial file either. Do you know where any of the Coulsons were buried?

                      Many thanks,
                      Jacki
                    • wa4nww
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 27, 2014

                        See   http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Article.jsp?id=h-1602

                      • Mark Klan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 27, 2014
                          Re: [jacksongenealogy] MegaCemJacksonAll File Glad you were able to get the file OK.  I've found it invaluable for my research.

                          Mark