Re: [jacksongenealogy] Seeking information On WEST

  • Earl T. Reed
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2002
      Kevin,
      Let's try that again with the attachment.
      Boyd's Switch was renamed Limrock somewhere between the time your
      great-grandfather was murdered and 1930. I grew up there on the old W. E.
      Shelton Estate just up from the Baptist Church. The house burned about 10
      years ago. I cannot remember a cemetery as you describe. A few years ago,
      Marlin Tucker published a small history of Limrock circa 1930-1945 and I
      obtained a copy. The attachment is a MS Word file onto which I scanned his
      sketch of the town as he remembered it from the 1930's. The scale is off,
      and the angles on some of the roads are wrong, but it can give you some idea
      of where cemeteries can be found dating from that period. The Dotson
      Cemetery (Old Indian Cemetery) might be one of your best bets. There is a
      marker at the entrance which tells about the cemetery. It used to be quite
      creepy, but has been cleared out. You can make out names on a number of the
      stones. The Johnson cemetery might be a possibility, also. I remember a
      burial there in the mid 1950's. Cemeteries around that area seem to have
      been family cemeteries in a time when families did not have the means or
      inclination to travel very far to inter their dead.
      If you do not have any luck there, the Blue Spring Cove (Hall Cemetery)
      between Limrock and Larkinsville served a number of communities and is still
      actively used.

      Earl Reed
      Dayton, TN

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2002
        Sorry, our list server will not transfer attachments to protect list members
        from viruses. Please send email with attachments directly to the interested
        parties.

        Richard

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2002
          Kevin,
          Attachments do not transfer. If you want the map of Limrock, send your
          email address to etreed@....

          Earl Reed