Civil War Deaths

  • Jerry Triplett
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2013
      Anyone know if there is a "shortcut" way to verify if someone died during combat in the CW?

      I believe that a person may have been KIA in GA in 1862 while serving with an AL Light Artillery unit.  Is there a DB of deaths?

      Jerry T
      Chattanooga
    • blackcloud27030
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 16, 2013
        Jerry

        Try the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System or the Alabama Dept of Archives and History database for the Civil War Soldiers. If neither of these work send me his name, rank, unit and I will look it up on Fold3.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2013
          Clay:

          Thanks for the reply.  I was looking for a "shortcut" rather than having to plow through a whole bunch of records. I did a quick look at the NPS S&S database.  And I have Fold3.  I also did a quick look at the AL website.  But each offered limit info without what appeared to be a heavy investment of time.

          Also, I was surprised that the Widows Pension did not quickly surface.  I'm still learning about the CW info.

          Here is what I believe to be true:

          1822 -- John Starling Cantrell b SC.
          1850 -- Resides in Union Co, GA
          1850 -- Marries Nancy M Chastine (Chastain) in Union Co, GA
          1850's -- Children born in Union Co, GA
          Early 1860's -- Moves to Marion Co, AL
          1860's -- Joins the D 1 AL Cav or 2nd Bat AL Light Art
          1862 -- KIA in GA
          1867 -- Nancy applies for Widows Pension in AL(?)
                      App No 147498
                      Approved Cert No 154392
          1870's -- Moves as a widow with family to Texas Co, MO
          1913 -- Dies in MO

          So far, the only thing I have found on FOLD3 is a single doc showing her pension.  There is a good bit of info on Ancestry and on Findagrave, for example, but I wish I could find the CW info.  Especially, her pension app. There must be more docs that detail more info.  It may be necessary to go to MF.

          And finally, there seems to be quite a number of John Cantrells.

          Thanks for any help.

          Jerry T in Chattanooga