Re: [jacksongenealogy] Seeking information On WEST

  • Kevin Hall
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2002
      Hi,
      I am looking for my great-grandfather's
      grave too. He was murdered in late 1880. My father
      went looking for his grave around what was Boyd's
      Switch, he found a cemetary there that the road goes
      all the was around. It had a newer section but also an
      old one. Unfortunately, some of the stones were so
      old as to be unreadable. And he didn't bring anything
      to try to get a reading. I don't know if this helps
      you or not, but so far this cemetary has not been
      recorded in any database that I have been able to
      find.

      --- FamResearcher@... wrote:
      > I am looking for the date of death and place of
      > burial for Christopher
      > Columbus West. In 1880 he was living in Jackson Co.
      > In 1860 and 1870 he
      > seems to have been in Cherokee Co., Al or vicinity.
      > By the mid 1880s, his
      > children were in Etowah and/or St. Clair Co., AL
      > were they married. I
      > suspect but have no proof that he died in the early
      > to mid 1880s. He has
      > been a brick wall. Any suggestions or clues?
      >
      > Phyllis Frank

      > removed]

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Earl T. Reed
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2002
        Kevin,
        Boyd's Switch was renamed Limrock somewhere between the time your
        great-grandfather was murdered and 1930. I grew up there on the old W. E.
        Shelton Estate just up from the Baptist Church. The house burned about 10
        years ago. I cannot remember a cemetery as you describe. A few years ago,
        Marlin Tucker published a small history of Limrock circa 1930-1945 and I
        obtained a copy. The attachment is a MS Word file onto which I scanned his
        sketch of the town as he remembered it from the 1930's. The scale is off,
        and the angles on some of the roads are wrong, but it can give you some idea
        of where cemeteries can be found dating from that period. The Dotson
        Cemetery (Old Indian Cemetery) might be one of your best bets. There is a
        marker at the entrance which tells about the cemetery. It used to be quite
        creepy, but has been cleared out. You can make out names on a number of the
        stones. The Johnson cemetery might be a possibility, also. I remember a
        burial there in the mid 1950's. Cemeteries around that area seem to have
        been family cemeteries in a time when families did not have the means or
        inclination to travel very far to inter their dead.
        If you do not have any luck there, the Blue Spring Cove (Hall Cemetery)
        between Limrock and Larkinsville served a number of communities and is still
        actively used.

        Earl Reed
        Dayton, TN

        > grave too. He was murdered in late 1880. My father
        > went looking for his grave around what was Boyd's
        > Switch, he found a cemetary there that the road goes
        > all the was around. It had a newer section but also an
        > old one. Unfortunately, some of the stones were so
        > old as to be unreadable. And he didn't bring anything
        > to try to get a reading. I don't know if this helps
        > you or not, but so far this cemetary has not been
        > recorded in any database that I have been able to
        > find.
        >

        > --- FamResearcher@... wrote:
        > > I am looking for the date of death and place of
        > > burial for Christopher
        > > Columbus West. In 1880 he was living in Jackson Co.
        > > In 1860 and 1870 he
        > > seems to have been in Cherokee Co., Al or vicinity.
        > > By the mid 1880s, his
        > > children were in Etowah and/or St. Clair Co., AL
        > > were they married. I
        > > suspect but have no proof that he died in the early
        > > to mid 1880s. He has
        > > been a brick wall. Any suggestions or clues?
        > >
        > > Phyllis Frank

        > > removed]

      • Earl T. Reed

          > grave too. He was murdered in late 1880. My father
          > went looking for his grave around what was Boyd's
          > Switch, he found a cemetary there that the road goes
          > all the was around. It had a newer section but also an
          > old one. Unfortunately, some of the stones were so
          > old as to be unreadable. And he didn't bring anything
          > to try to get a reading. I don't know if this helps
          > you or not, but so far this cemetary has not been
          > recorded in any database that I have been able to
          > find.
          >

          > --- FamResearcher@... wrote:
          > > I am looking for the date of death and place of
          > > burial for Christopher
          > > Columbus West. In 1880 he was living in Jackson Co.
          > > In 1860 and 1870 he
          > > seems to have been in Cherokee Co., Al or vicinity.
          > > By the mid 1880s, his
          > > children were in Etowah and/or St. Clair Co., AL
          > > were they married. I
          > > suspect but have no proof that he died in the early
          > > to mid 1880s. He has
          > > been a brick wall. Any suggestions or clues?
          > >
          > > Phyllis Frank

          > > removed]

        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2002
            Sorry, our list server will not transfer attachments to protect list members
            from viruses. Please send email with attachments directly to the interested
            parties.

            Richard

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30, 2002
              Kevin,
              Attachments do not transfer. If you want the map of Limrock, send your
              email address to etreed@....

              Earl Reed