Seeking information On WEST

  • FamResearcher@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27 2:29 AM
      I am looking for the date of death and place of burial for Christopher
      Columbus West. In 1880 he was living in Jackson Co. In 1860 and 1870 he
      seems to have been in Cherokee Co., Al or vicinity. By the mid 1880s, his
      children were in Etowah and/or St. Clair Co., AL were they married. I
      suspect but have no proof that he died in the early to mid 1880s. He has
      been a brick wall. Any suggestions or clues?

      Phyllis Frank

    • Kevin Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27 10:18 AM
        Hi,
        I am looking for my great-grandfather's
        grave too. He was murdered in late 1880. My father
        went looking for his grave around what was Boyd's
        Switch, he found a cemetary there that the road goes
        all the was around. It had a newer section but also an
        old one. Unfortunately, some of the stones were so
        old as to be unreadable. And he didn't bring anything
        to try to get a reading. I don't know if this helps
        you or not, but so far this cemetary has not been
        recorded in any database that I have been able to
        find.

        --- FamResearcher@... wrote:
        > I am looking for the date of death and place of
        > burial for Christopher
        > Columbus West. In 1880 he was living in Jackson Co.
        > In 1860 and 1870 he
        > seems to have been in Cherokee Co., Al or vicinity.
        > By the mid 1880s, his
        > children were in Etowah and/or St. Clair Co., AL
        > were they married. I
        > suspect but have no proof that he died in the early
        > to mid 1880s. He has
        > been a brick wall. Any suggestions or clues?
        >
        > Phyllis Frank

        > removed]

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Earl T. Reed
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30 7:04 AM
          Kevin,
          Boyd's Switch was renamed Limrock somewhere between the time your
          great-grandfather was murdered and 1930. I grew up there on the old W. E.
          Shelton Estate just up from the Baptist Church. The house burned about 10
          years ago. I cannot remember a cemetery as you describe. A few years ago,
          Marlin Tucker published a small history of Limrock circa 1930-1945 and I
          obtained a copy. The attachment is a MS Word file onto which I scanned his
          sketch of the town as he remembered it from the 1930's. The scale is off,
          and the angles on some of the roads are wrong, but it can give you some idea
          of where cemeteries can be found dating from that period. The Dotson
          Cemetery (Old Indian Cemetery) might be one of your best bets. There is a
          marker at the entrance which tells about the cemetery. It used to be quite
          creepy, but has been cleared out. You can make out names on a number of the
          stones. The Johnson cemetery might be a possibility, also. I remember a
          burial there in the mid 1950's. Cemeteries around that area seem to have
          been family cemeteries in a time when families did not have the means or
          inclination to travel very far to inter their dead.
          If you do not have any luck there, the Blue Spring Cove (Hall Cemetery)
          between Limrock and Larkinsville served a number of communities and is still
          actively used.

          Earl Reed
          Dayton, TN

          > grave too. He was murdered in late 1880. My father
          > went looking for his grave around what was Boyd's
          > Switch, he found a cemetary there that the road goes
          > all the was around. It had a newer section but also an
          > old one. Unfortunately, some of the stones were so
          > old as to be unreadable. And he didn't bring anything
          > to try to get a reading. I don't know if this helps
          > you or not, but so far this cemetary has not been
          > recorded in any database that I have been able to
          > find.
          >

          > --- FamResearcher@... wrote:
          > > I am looking for the date of death and place of
          > > burial for Christopher
          > > Columbus West. In 1880 he was living in Jackson Co.
          > > In 1860 and 1870 he
          > > seems to have been in Cherokee Co., Al or vicinity.
          > > By the mid 1880s, his
          > > children were in Etowah and/or St. Clair Co., AL
          > > were they married. I
          > > suspect but have no proof that he died in the early
          > > to mid 1880s. He has
          > > been a brick wall. Any suggestions or clues?
          > >
          > > Phyllis Frank

          > > removed]

        • Earl T. Reed

            > grave too. He was murdered in late 1880. My father
            > went looking for his grave around what was Boyd's
            > Switch, he found a cemetary there that the road goes
            > all the was around. It had a newer section but also an
            > old one. Unfortunately, some of the stones were so
            > old as to be unreadable. And he didn't bring anything
            > to try to get a reading. I don't know if this helps
            > you or not, but so far this cemetary has not been
            > recorded in any database that I have been able to
            > find.
            >

            > --- FamResearcher@... wrote:
            > > I am looking for the date of death and place of
            > > burial for Christopher
            > > Columbus West. In 1880 he was living in Jackson Co.
            > > In 1860 and 1870 he
            > > seems to have been in Cherokee Co., Al or vicinity.
            > > By the mid 1880s, his
            > > children were in Etowah and/or St. Clair Co., AL
            > > were they married. I
            > > suspect but have no proof that he died in the early
            > > to mid 1880s. He has
            > > been a brick wall. Any suggestions or clues?
            > >
            > > Phyllis Frank

            > > removed]

          • Richard Matthews
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30 7:17 AM
              Sorry, our list server will not transfer attachments to protect list members
              from viruses. Please send email with attachments directly to the interested
              parties.

              Richard

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30 4:39 PM
                Kevin,
                Attachments do not transfer. If you want the map of Limrock, send your
                email address to etreed@....

                Earl Reed