Salt Petre Cave and other caves in the Jackson Co., AL area

  • P smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2013
      Can someone give me additional information about the Salt Petre Cave in Madison Co., AL.  Are there other caves in the area similar to this one?

      pat smith
    • Jerry Triplett
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
        I have no personal knowledge of this cave but rather an interest in caves in general.

        I did a quick look and did not find this cave located in Madison County, AL.  So called Salt Petre Caves are quite common.  Salt petre (potassium nitrate) is soaked out of bat guano, crystalized and refined.  It was a common process anywhere there were bats and caves.  Northeast Alabama is especially rich in caves.  (see http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Article.jsp?id=h-2020)

        Another article talks about mining salt petre prior to the formation of the State of Alabama in 1819 in what was then Madison County, Mississippi Territory (I think).  Could this be the cave in question?  If it is, I suspect there is a good deal of documentation available. (See http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/jacksongenealogy/conversations/topics/2120).

        Jerry T in Chattanooga

        Can someone give me additional information about the Salt Petre Cave in Madison Co., AL.  Are there other caves in the area similar to this one?

        pat smith
      • Steph
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
          There is Russels Cave in Bridgeport.
          Stephanie

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
              Clay, my 3rd great grandfather was a guard at the mine.  His Civil War Card says he was killed at Coffee Town? I know there was a Town and a camp named Coffee Town.  Are they close to the mine.  Roger

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
                Roger

                From what I have seen Coffeetown was across the TN River at the foot of Sand Mountain and was southwast of present day Langston. Coffeetown  was established according to the History of Langston Marker in the 1810s but that seems unlikely since that part of the Cherokee Nation east of the TN River was was not ceded to the US until the mid 1830s. Coffeetown faded away in 1869 when most of the residents moved to Texas and a new town named Langston was established to the northeast of Old Coffeetown. Langston was named after Langston Coffee the first Post Master. When the Guntersville Dam was built in the 1930s Old Coffeetown and much of Langston was flooded. Google: History of Langston Marker for more.

                Clay