Courthouse research

  • Jerry Triplett
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2013
      While I have done a good bit of research online, I have never been to the Jackson County courthouse.  But I'm interested in going.

      Can someone give me a little preliminary help by answering some questions?

      1.
          What records are available?
      2.    Are old wills (1800's) available?
      3.
          What information is needed to chain backwards in property records?
      4.    Are in the old property records in the Township Range format?
      5.
          Where do you go for the older records?
      6.
          Are there some days that are better to go?
      7.
          This not a potential criticism but rather a fact of life question --  are the people involved helpful or would they rather you not bother them?
      8.
          Is much of the stuff on MF where you might copy to Jump Drive, Memory Stick, etc?
      9.
          Costs?

      Thanks a bunch.

      Jerry in Chattanooga

    • Janet Anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2013
        Hi,
        Scottsboro is in the deep south, southerners are known for being nice, so if someone is mean to you there, let the rest of us know and we will kick them out.  Ha.

        He a great link to available records in Jackson County, Alabama.  Everything in blue is a link.  There is a section on the courthouse etc.

        hope this helps

        Janet Anderson   (Rudder, McMahan, Talley, Moore, Gonce, Wimberley,)

        On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Jewel Casey
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2013
          All of us southerners from the deep south, especially Jackson County, ALABAMA are known for being really nice, so let's be careful how you try to kick us out, ha. (ANDERSON, BREWER, CANTRELL, CLARK, DAMERON, EDWARDS, ESSLINGER, FANNING, GOLDEN, GRAHAM, HAMBRICK, HILL, HUBBARD, CAMPBELL, JONES, MAYS, MOORE,VANN, WHITE) etc.

          Jewel D. (Hambrick) Casey

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 23, 2013
            I can vouch for Jewel's comment, I have been there many times over the years and received all the help i needed.  Wonderful People.  Beautiful Mountains.  Do you still have first Monday?
            Janet Anderson

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 23, 2013
              And Jewel is absolutely the nicest and most helpful of all!!

              Hugs,
              cuz Faye

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 23, 2013
                I really enjoyed the Scottsboro Jackson Heritage center, too. I can't recall the name of the book, but there was a really  good finding aid there that helped me figure out what records to search at the courthouse. I think the heritage center also had the land plats and a large format  photocopy machine. There is also a small one room courthouse on the site with records you will not find at the courthouse. But you have to use a digital camera for those, there is no photocopier. A really nice man who works at the newspaper was at the center and he loaned me a camera, then downloaded the images to my flash drive. I don't think that would happen in New York.

                There are also some lovely old cabins and school that have been moved to the site and preserved.

                Cindy Holdridge Smith

                Sent from my iPad