Re: Stapp/Step; Campbell; Carroll

  • waccess@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 19 3:39 PM

      Hi Jewel,

      Akillis Stapp.Step.Stepp (born 1808) came from KY to the area near Huntsville probably in the late 1820s to 1830-31. He bought land there in 1831, near a J. Campbell. He probably married Melinda C. (born 1818) around 1835-36. They are in the 1850 census with seven of their eight children, the oldest being James S. Stapp, age 14. Akillis died sometime around 1855-56, and Melinda C. moved to Giles County, TN near a Campbell family. That's why I thought maybe the initial C. stood for Campbell. Later, she moved with her two youngest sons, John and William, who were grown by then, to Limestone County.  That's where she died in 1901.

      I could be completely wrong though about the Campbell. There is some evidence that her last name might be Carroll. She and Akillis had a son, Andrew Carroll Stapp. Also, there was a Logan Carroll (b. 1830) in the 1860 Paint Rock, AL census, who could have been her brother. One of her sons was named Logan C. Stapp, CSA, killed at the Battle of Chickamauga, so maybe she named him after her brother, Logan. Logan Carroll lived in the home of James Harleps in Paint Rock. The last letters of this last name are hard to dicipher, so it may be Harles or something like that.

      If anyone has any suggestions or information, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jewel Casey" wrote:

      > So sorry, can't help you there. What year did Akillis Stapp live in Jackson County, AL?

    • Jewel Casey
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21 8:08 PM
        No, I'm sorry, do not find any connections
        Akillis Stapp.Step.Stepp (born 1808) came from KY to the area near Huntsville probably in the late 1820s to 1830-31. He bought land there in 1831, near a J. Campbell. He probably married Melinda C. (born 1818) around 1835-36. They are in the 1850 census with seven of their eight children, the oldest being James S. Stapp, age 14. Akillis died sometime around 1855-56, and Melinda C. moved to Giles County, TN near a Campbell family. That's why I thought maybe the initial C. stood for Campbell. Later, she moved with her two youngest sons, John and William, who were grown by then, to Limestone County.  That's where she died in 1901.

        I could be completely wrong though about the Campbell. There is some evidence that her last name might be Carroll. She and Akillis had a son, Andrew Carroll Stapp. Also, there was a Logan Carroll (b. 1830) in the 1860 Paint Rock, AL census, who could have been her brother. One of her sons was named Logan C. Stapp, CSA, killed at the Battle of Chickamauga, so maybe she named him after her brother, Logan. Logan Carroll lived in the home of James Harleps in Paint Rock. The last letters of this last name are hard to dicipher, so it may be Harles or something like that.

        If anyone has any suggestions or information, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jewel Casey" wrote:

        > So sorry, can't help you there. What year did Akillis Stapp live in Jackson County, AL?

        No virus found in this message.

      • waccess@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 22 1:55 PM
          Okay - Thanks for checking.