Re: Surnames

  • jewel casey
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 1999
      The info you are talking about came from the Madison County Cemetery Book No
      II. Look through your obits and let me know about any Fanning obits I might
      need.
      My brother is ok for now. They are going to do some more test before they do
      the surgery. Thanks for asking.
      Jewel
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 1999
        Thanks a million
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 1999
          Jewel,
          Checked SS data and found Lila Swaim born 1 June 1895 died Jan 1986
          Residence 35801 Huntsville, Madison Al

          Found L. Fanning died Feb 13 1995
          Found his obituary :

          Obit from Huntsville Times Paper Feb 14 1995 Leslie P. Fanning Gurley
          -Leslie Parks fanning 85 of Gurley, died Monday at a Huntsville Hospital.
          The funeral will b Wednesday at 2PM at the Gurley First Baptist Church with
          the Rev. Roger Stone officiating. Burial will be in Valhalla Memory
          Gardens with Valhalla Funeral Home in Charge Mr. Fanning a member of
          Gurley First Baptist Churcn was retired from Ashburn & Gray Construction
          Co. in Huntsville. Survivors include his wife, Irene Fanning, Two
          daughters, Nellie Anderson of Gurley, and Elsie Rutland of Scottsboro; two
          sons Jackie Fanning and jerry Fanning of Gurley. A Sister, Vannie Clark of
          Austell Ga. 10 grandchildren, 12 great grandchildren. Visitation will be
          today from 3:30 to 8 Pm at the Funeral Home and at the church one hour
          prior to the service.
          Leslie P. Fanning died Feb 13 1995
          Wyona
        • FVRV74A@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 2, 1999
            Thanks a lot Mary, every thing helps.

            From: MaryWinn@...
            Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:51:09 EDT
            To: jacksongenealogy@onelist.com
          • Jpete75910@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 6, 2000
              I just joined this list and would like to post the Surnames I am
              researching in Jackson County. My Ancestors in Jackson County were
              Teftellers, Clemens, Headricks, Mills, Howells, Ayers.
              I have been to the Courthouse there twice, but still need a lot of
              info there.
              J. Peterson
            • Phebelyn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 7, 2000
                I'm new to the list also. My surnames there are
                HUGHES, SIMMONS, MURPHREE, ZIELGER, SLOAN, MCKENZIE

                My grandmother's first cousin was a HUGHES and she married a CLEMENS. She is
                still living. He just died about a month ago.
                Phoebe
              • StvChance@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 7, 2000
                  Phoebe,

                  My mother was a Hughes from Jackson County. Her father was Jesse Hughes and
                  live in Bridgeport. His father was Robert Luther Hughes, lived in Anderson,
                  Tennessee, a little ways across the TN/AL State line. According to census
                  records, Robert was born somewhere in Kentucky. Do you see a possibly
                  connection?

                  Steve Chance
                  Anaheim Hills, CA
                  StvChance@...
                • Jpete75910@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 8, 2000
                    Phoebe:
                    What was the name of the Clemens that your Grandmother married?
                  • Phebelyn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 8, 2000
                      In a message dated 11/08/2000 10:27:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      Jpete75910@... writes:

                      << Phoebe:
                      What was the name of the Clemens that your Grandmother married?

                      It wasn't my Grandmother. It was my Grandmother's first cousin who married
                      Ray Clemens. My Mother said he was from Louisiana. But they lived in
                      Jackson Co., AL. His widow still lives there. She lives in Dutton, Alabama.
                      Phoebe
                    • bbrock1945@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 11 3:31 PM
                        Hello,
                        Still searching for a MATHERSEY (Therza/Thersey) born 1820 AL. She married
                        Peter BLACKWELL.

                        I believe she may have been the sister of a JOHN WILLIAMS and their mother
                        a CHRISTINA WILLIAMS b. 1793 in KY, who was on the 1850 Federal Census record
                        for Jackson County, District 21, Alabama.

                        "Chistena, age 57 with Bethany 21, Hesira 16, Sally 14, Thomas 12 and Nancy
                        20, (living in household # 444.)

                        If anyone has any information on these people I would greatly appreciate
                        hearing from you.

                        Thank you,
                        Brenda