Effects of the Civil War in Jackson County

  • blackcloud27030
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
      We are getting way off topic. Unless you have a story on how someone in your family was impacted by either Union or Confederate forces or their supporters I will not allow anymore messages on this subject. We all know how terrible the war was with many families divided, some supporting the Union and some supporting the Confederacy as was the case in my family.

      We all agree that horrific things were done by both sides so I see no use in refighting the war in this Group all it results in is hurt feelings.

      We all know how it impacted the farms and villages including Bellefonte the county seat of Jackson County. It has been posted before of how a traveler on the railroad saw nothing left but fence posts for mile after mile in Jackson County.

      Clay Gullatt
      Moderator
    • T J Allen
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
        Well said, Clay.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
          Good morning Clay. Are you related to Emmer Wills?

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPad

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
            Elaine

            Yes, Mary Emma (Emmer) Wills Gullatt was my Mother, b. 1909 in Polk Co. GA she died 1991 Mount Airy, Surry Co. NC. Her parents were Harvey Clemon Wills b. GA and Amanda Marilla (Mandy Rilla) Carrell b. GA both died in Fort Payne.

            Clay

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013

              Lost both of my great grand Uncles, William and Ellis who signed up with the Confederacy!  Unknown if my 4th great grandfather Elijah Brazier was killed in his field as the Union entered Jackson, he just does not appear on the Special 1866 Federal US Census, only his wife appears as a widow with her young children… still wondering if it was of natural causes or the disease and starvation of the county at that time, mystery.

              William Brazier – murdered by the Union and People of Chicago in the famous 80 acres of hell Camp Douglas Chicago, and Ellis Brazier died walking home from Camp Chase, Ohio after refusing to sign the loyalty oath to the Union, buried at Camp Chase Cemetery.  William is buried at Camp Douglas cemetery with many more Jackson County volunteers…

              Jimmie Ryan

              GGGrandson of Elijah Brazier b 1800

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013
                Jimmie
                Are you related to the Walls?
                Paula Fabionar
                pfabionar@...

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013
                  Clay, did you know Leona Barnett Wills who was married to Ira Wills ? She had a picture of you in her picture album...I think. When Ira and my mother, Leona, divorced, she married Cecil Goodman, my father. She always spoke fondly of your mother. I always wondered if her name was really "Emmer" or if that was just my mother's Southern accent! Nice to talk to you!

                  Elaine Goodman

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013
                    Elaine
                    I remember Aunt "Leonie" well. Thought she was wonderful, the last time I saw her was when I was 5 or 6 when we left Fort Payne for Rossville, GA. I knew she and Uncle Ira had divorced and they both had remarried but none of the dates. Knew your Dad's last name but not first. Got her picture on the family tree. Would love to have a copy of that picture from her photo album.
                    Mom's name was Mary Emma, she preferred Mary. Emmer was just that Southern accent.
                    Funny how you can remember things from 70+ years ago but not yesterday.
                    Only one of�Mon's brothers and sisters�are still alive Aunt "Gen", she will be 90 next year. She and her 2nd husband live in SC. Six of Mom's ten children are still alive, 4 of us by the skin of our teeth.
                    Clay

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013

                       I have several pictures of your family. Mother didn't write names on the back of pictures so I am relying on memory as to whether or not that picture is of you. She died in 2002. I got some of the names from my sister, Estelle, (who died in July) and mother's sister, Jessie Mae . I would be happy to share. Let me know how I can get them to you.
                       My brother, Wayne Wills, is the only one left. He is 73 and just got married!
                      My daddy was Voy Cecil Goodman. His Grandfather Newell Shelton was from Jackson County, and his Grandfather Vincent Goodman lived over there at one time. He fought in the Civil War.
                      Is Aunt "Gen"'s name  Geneva?  I remember Mother talking about her.
                      I went to Mt Airy last year to see "Mayberry". Looked for cemetery where your mother is buried, but  couldn't find. It was 108 degrees so I didn't look too hard!!
                      Mother talked fondly of your family, especially your Mother, Geneva, and....was Annie McNutt one of the sisters?  I haven't looked at that tree in a while.

                      Elaine Goodman