Re: Effects of the Civil War on residents in Jackson County, Alabama.

  • gary_bsanders
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 16, 2013
      Billy,

      With the Sanders family, there were split loyalties, but the Union supporters in Jackson County were rather numereous. My great-granduncle John Sanders was reported to have taken about twenty men with him when he joined the federal forces. His uncle, Joe Sanders, was seventy years old in 1863 and too old to serve, but he was killed by bushwhackers, mainly because three of his sons were in the Union army. Often, the decisive factor in choosing sides was the influence of family and friends,prefering "one's own hearth" to that of strangers, sometimes in spite of deeply held principles. My great-grandfather, Isaac Sanders, moved from Jackson County to Arkansas, and he joined the Confederate forces in 1861 when most of the men in his Arkansas county signed up. Then, when the Union forces occupied central Arkansas, he joined the Union forces. As for what he thought about the war, I have no clue--perhaps he wanted only to protect his family and friends and thought the war a calamity caused by incompetent politicans rather than a struggle over principles. By the way, an excellent source for the often neglected loyalist sentiment in the South during the war is Victoria Bynum's blog, "Renegade South: Histories of Unconventional Southerners." --Gary

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, billy hill <bhillxyz@...> wrote:

      > is there a publication of names involved in the civil war from jackson county for both sides? i have no idea which side my folks supported. i always assumed they were for the south but i guess that could be wrong. my family names are hill, sanders, brewer and evans. thanks billy  hill

    • Waynette Davis
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 30, 2013
        I'm sorry I don't think I have answered you yet. I am sorry to disappoint
        you, but I don't have any of those Morris's you refer to. I am back

        To Jeptha Morris my 4th great grandfather who was born in Scotland, when?,
        and died in Stewart County, TN in 1833.

        Waynette Davis