Effects of the Civil War on residents in Jackson County, Alabama.

  • freethinker1963
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 13, 2013
      I am currently working on research for a book that includes Jackson County, Alabama for the time period of the Civil War.  There was rampant partisan violence perpetrated by both sides over politics.  Jackson County was a heavily Unionist county, just like Dade County, Georgia, and Hamilton County, Tennessee.  When the CSA was in control of the area, the union sympathizers were burned out, had their property confiscated, and were subjected to summary justice.   When the Union took control of the area, the partisan violence was directed at the few secessionists in the area.  They stood to be burned out, have their property confiscated, or be subjected to summary justice.  At the same time, bands of outlaws nominally associated with both groups rode the countryside murdering and stealing.  Nobody was safe from summary government action or partisan activity.  If anyone has any family stories handed down to them, I would be interested in these stories.
    • Waynette Davis
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 30, 2013
        I'm sorry I don't think I have answered you yet. I am sorry to disappoint
        you, but I don't have any of those Morris's you refer to. I am back

        To Jeptha Morris my 4th great grandfather who was born in Scotland, when?,
        and died in Stewart County, TN in 1833.

        Waynette Davis