Re: DNA testing

  • tongtiedtwisted
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 18, 2013
      Hi all,

      Don't forget you can download the raw data from your testing company (FTDNA, Ancestry, 23and me etc) and then upload on gedmatch.com. This way you can compare against others using different tests.

      It is a free site and has some nice comparison tools.

      Best,
      Pam Cain

      Hamilton, Green/e, Russel/l

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Roberts" <cmroberts03@...> wrote:

      > Waynette and all. It is possible to transfer 23 and Me results to FTDNA without retesting. There is a fee involved, but it is less than the test amount. I would refer anyone interested in this feature to the FTDNA FAQ and look for the “transferring 3rd party results sections”. The link for FTDNA is familytreedna.com.

    • gary_bsanders
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 18, 2013
        FTDNA also has a free search site called Ysearch.org where one can input the Y-DNA data from other companies, then run comparisons to find matches. The database is public, and you can even search for matches among the participants though you do not have an account yourself. You can also create as many user accounts as you like, so long as you have data to enter for each one.

        I concur with the previous suggestions that one needs to investigate DNA testing thoroughly before signing up for tests that may be expensive and/or useless for your purpose. At a minimum one should know something about the purpose of Y-DNA, MTDNA, and autosomal testing.

        My experience is that Y-DNA testing is the only testing that has much genealogical utility because it is the only type of DNA testing that is substantially related to surnames. In my research, Y-DNA testing has shown that I am not related to some lines that previous researchers assumed were in my family tree, and it has also proven relationships that had been unknown before the test. Further, it helps to determine where you should not expend any research effort--for example, in researching a family with the same surname as the the one you are researching but revealed as unrelated to you by the test.

        Unfortunately, many people have a DNA test done, but they do not follow up with any research. Having the test done is just the beginning. Often, it is necessary to then exchange information with other researchers and compare notes in order to establish a paper or documentary connection.
        --Gary