Re: DNA testing

  • waccess@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
      Unfortunately, with genealogy DNA testing, we can't do that. We order and pay for the testing kits, which have the swabs in them. The relative swabs his/her cheek and sends the kit back. Then the company analyzes the swabs, and we get the results. In some cases, I've split the cost of the kits with other relatives who are interested too. That makes the tests reasonable. The last one we did on my mother's father's line, we split four ways, so that really brought the cost down.

      I think I've heard or read that if you buy the correct kind of swabs, you can save the DNA for later analysis, but that was for medical or some other testing, not genealogy. Wish we could do it that way. I'd have everybody possible tested. :-)

    • waccess@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
        Right, Christine, and I think that's all 23 and Me, ancestry.com, etc. does is autosomal testing; although I may be wrong. To follow direct paternal or maternal lines, we need to do y-DNA testing for paternal and mtDNA for the maternal line. These can be done through FTDNA, and there's probably others. Autosomal is a mish mash, but can be interesting, none the less.

        By the way, if anyone decides to do the direct line testing, do NOT do the 12-marker y-DNA or lowest level mtDNA tests. They won't give you the information or defined results that you want.

      • waccess@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
          It's actually not Indian DNA testing, Jewel. It's genealogy DNA testing, and there is a specific category that indicates Indian (Native American) heritage. If I remember right, if a male has the Indian gene, his classification will start with "Q." Then there are letters and numbers that follow that "Q" to further define the heritage. I can't remember the category for females.

          In my opinion, Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) has the best testing. It has the largest DNA database, which means you'll have more information from matches to you. Its customer service is good about helping you choose the right test kit for your needs. They, also, will help answer questions afterwards, and they have a LOT of online information, such as tutorials, to help.

          Cost depends on what you are trying to do. Right now, until the end of July, FTDNA has a sale. Google FTDNA, and go to the website. That'll have the cost of each test listed.

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jewel Casey" <jcasey@...> wrote:

          > I'm sorry Karl, I have missed out on this Indian DNA testing and how it is being done. Would you please explain how to get in touch with the correct company who does the testing and maybe the cost to get it done. Thanks
          > Jewel

        • Waynette Davis
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
            Can one simply have their DNA results transferred to Ancestry? Or would one
            have to retake their DNA test?

            Thank you for your thoughtful information. Waynette

          • Karl Plenge
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
              I wasn't the one who posted about the Indian DNA, maybe whomever did will see this message and respond.

[...]

            • Chris Roberts
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
                Waynette and all. It is possible to transfer 23 and Me results to FTDNA without retesting. There is a fee involved, but it is less than the test amount. I would refer anyone interested in this feature to the FTDNA FAQ and look for the “transferring 3rd party results sections”. The link for FTDNA is familytreedna.com.

                Can one simply have their DNA results transferred to Ancestry? Or would one
                have to retake their DNA test?

                Thank you for your thoughtful information. Waynette

              • tongtiedtwisted
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 18, 2013
                  Hi all,

                  Don't forget you can download the raw data from your testing company (FTDNA, Ancestry, 23and me etc) and then upload on gedmatch.com. This way you can compare against others using different tests.

                  It is a free site and has some nice comparison tools.

                  Best,
                  Pam Cain

                  Hamilton, Green/e, Russel/l

                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Roberts" <cmroberts03@...> wrote:

                  > Waynette and all. It is possible to transfer 23 and Me results to FTDNA without retesting. There is a fee involved, but it is less than the test amount. I would refer anyone interested in this feature to the FTDNA FAQ and look for the “transferring 3rd party results sections”. The link for FTDNA is familytreedna.com.

                • gary_bsanders
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 18, 2013
                    FTDNA also has a free search site called Ysearch.org where one can input the Y-DNA data from other companies, then run comparisons to find matches. The database is public, and you can even search for matches among the participants though you do not have an account yourself. You can also create as many user accounts as you like, so long as you have data to enter for each one.

                    I concur with the previous suggestions that one needs to investigate DNA testing thoroughly before signing up for tests that may be expensive and/or useless for your purpose. At a minimum one should know something about the purpose of Y-DNA, MTDNA, and autosomal testing.

                    My experience is that Y-DNA testing is the only testing that has much genealogical utility because it is the only type of DNA testing that is substantially related to surnames. In my research, Y-DNA testing has shown that I am not related to some lines that previous researchers assumed were in my family tree, and it has also proven relationships that had been unknown before the test. Further, it helps to determine where you should not expend any research effort--for example, in researching a family with the same surname as the the one you are researching but revealed as unrelated to you by the test.

                    Unfortunately, many people have a DNA test done, but they do not follow up with any research. Having the test done is just the beginning. Often, it is necessary to then exchange information with other researchers and compare notes in order to establish a paper or documentary connection.
                    --Gary