RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: DNA testing

  • Waynette Davis
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 16 10:09 PM
      Yes it is interesting. 23 and Me DNA shows me to be .2% Native American and
      my brother to be none. I am positive by all family accounts including a
      photo of me with my half Cherokee great grandmother in 1943 as well as other
      photos and stories about her. Her mother was full-Cherokee in Georgia and
      later in Arkansas and she had an American name "Martha Pledge" before she
      married my 2nd great grandfather. She also had other children before she
      married him but I don't have a husband as yet. She may have died in the
      childbirth of great grandmother, but that is unconfirmed. She was not
      buried in the Corinth cemetery near Pineville, Ark. with all the other
      'white people" but out in the woods near by. Waynette

    • Chris Roberts
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 17 11:51 AM
        HI Waynette, I would refer back to 23 and Me for an explanation, but from my limited knowledge, the results you and your brother received may not be unusual. Autosomal dna is somewhat like a roll of the dice. Each child receives roughly 50% of the dna from each parent. Neither you nor your brother would be expected to receive the exact same dna. Further, there is usually a small error rate of about 2%, which could account for a difference if the Native results are quite small. There is a lot of information out there to help with DNA results. Check out FTDNA. They have a nice online library and links to other helpful sites. You might also check out rootsweb’s DNA-Genealogy list. Although this list can be very technical, it does offer some great insight and is followed by a number of experts in the field.

        As others have suggested, you might consider transferring your results to FTDNA. The have a huge data base and they do periodically offer deep discounts on their products.

        Another excellent resource is www.isogg.org

        Good luck on your search!

        Christine

      • Jewel Casey
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 17 11:54 AM
          I'm sorry Karl, I have missed out on this Indian DNA testing and how it is being done. Would you please explain how to get in touch with the correct company who does the testing and maybe the cost to get it done. Thanks
          Jewel
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 17 12:02 PM
            Unfortunately, with genealogy DNA testing, we can't do that. We order and pay for the testing kits, which have the swabs in them. The relative swabs his/her cheek and sends the kit back. Then the company analyzes the swabs, and we get the results. In some cases, I've split the cost of the kits with other relatives who are interested too. That makes the tests reasonable. The last one we did on my mother's father's line, we split four ways, so that really brought the cost down.

            I think I've heard or read that if you buy the correct kind of swabs, you can save the DNA for later analysis, but that was for medical or some other testing, not genealogy. Wish we could do it that way. I'd have everybody possible tested. :-)

          • waccess@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 17 4:23 PM
              Right, Christine, and I think that's all 23 and Me, ancestry.com, etc. does is autosomal testing; although I may be wrong. To follow direct paternal or maternal lines, we need to do y-DNA testing for paternal and mtDNA for the maternal line. These can be done through FTDNA, and there's probably others. Autosomal is a mish mash, but can be interesting, none the less.

              By the way, if anyone decides to do the direct line testing, do NOT do the 12-marker y-DNA or lowest level mtDNA tests. They won't give you the information or defined results that you want.

            • waccess@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 17 4:36 PM
                It's actually not Indian DNA testing, Jewel. It's genealogy DNA testing, and there is a specific category that indicates Indian (Native American) heritage. If I remember right, if a male has the Indian gene, his classification will start with "Q." Then there are letters and numbers that follow that "Q" to further define the heritage. I can't remember the category for females.

                In my opinion, Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) has the best testing. It has the largest DNA database, which means you'll have more information from matches to you. Its customer service is good about helping you choose the right test kit for your needs. They, also, will help answer questions afterwards, and they have a LOT of online information, such as tutorials, to help.

                Cost depends on what you are trying to do. Right now, until the end of July, FTDNA has a sale. Google FTDNA, and go to the website. That'll have the cost of each test listed.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 17 5:31 PM
                  Can one simply have their DNA results transferred to Ancestry? Or would one
                  have to retake their DNA test?

                  Thank you for your thoughtful information. Waynette

                • Karl Plenge
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 17 6:09 PM
                    I wasn't the one who posted about the Indian DNA, maybe whomever did will see this message and respond.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 17 7:15 PM
                      Waynette and all. It is possible to transfer 23 and Me results to FTDNA without retesting. There is a fee involved, but it is less than the test amount. I would refer anyone interested in this feature to the FTDNA FAQ and look for the “transferring 3rd party results sections”. The link for FTDNA is familytreedna.com.

                      Can one simply have their DNA results transferred to Ancestry? Or would one
                      have to retake their DNA test?

                      Thank you for your thoughtful information. Waynette

                    • tongtiedtwisted
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 18 9:02 AM
                        Hi all,

                        Don't forget you can download the raw data from your testing company (FTDNA, Ancestry, 23and me etc) and then upload on gedmatch.com. This way you can compare against others using different tests.

                        It is a free site and has some nice comparison tools.

                        Best,
                        Pam Cain

                        Hamilton, Green/e, Russel/l

                        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Roberts" <cmroberts03@...> wrote:

                        > Waynette and all. It is possible to transfer 23 and Me results to FTDNA without retesting. There is a fee involved, but it is less than the test amount. I would refer anyone interested in this feature to the FTDNA FAQ and look for the “transferring 3rd party results sections”. The link for FTDNA is familytreedna.com.

                      • gary_bsanders
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 18 1:44 PM
                          FTDNA also has a free search site called Ysearch.org where one can input the Y-DNA data from other companies, then run comparisons to find matches. The database is public, and you can even search for matches among the participants though you do not have an account yourself. You can also create as many user accounts as you like, so long as you have data to enter for each one.

                          I concur with the previous suggestions that one needs to investigate DNA testing thoroughly before signing up for tests that may be expensive and/or useless for your purpose. At a minimum one should know something about the purpose of Y-DNA, MTDNA, and autosomal testing.

                          My experience is that Y-DNA testing is the only testing that has much genealogical utility because it is the only type of DNA testing that is substantially related to surnames. In my research, Y-DNA testing has shown that I am not related to some lines that previous researchers assumed were in my family tree, and it has also proven relationships that had been unknown before the test. Further, it helps to determine where you should not expend any research effort--for example, in researching a family with the same surname as the the one you are researching but revealed as unrelated to you by the test.

                          Unfortunately, many people have a DNA test done, but they do not follow up with any research. Having the test done is just the beginning. Often, it is necessary to then exchange information with other researchers and compare notes in order to establish a paper or documentary connection.
                          --Gary