Re: DNA testing

  • waccess@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
      Hope those of you who had DNA testing done did it through FTDNA. You'll have the best chance of matching with them.

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "dlynnbratton" <bratton.di@...> wrote:

      > I too had DNA testing and waiting for the results. Several of my descendants were in Jackson County Alabama. Davis, Holland, Ivy, Lyon, Maples and more. It seems that the testing takes so long.

    • Waynette Davis
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
        What is FTDNA? What does that stand for?

        Waynette

      • waccess@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 16, 2013
          Family Tree DNA; they have nothing to do with Family Tree Maker or ancestry.com though. It's a separate company. They have the largest DNA database, so you'll have more chance of matching through them. In addition, they have more surname and heritage projects that you can join, so you should be able to get more information about your heritage. I've, also, found their customer service to be good when trying to decide which test to take and when interpreting the results. They will allow testing through other companies to be uploaded to their database, but they charge a fee for this. There's a sale on until the somewhere around the end of July.

        • waccess@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 16, 2013
            I don't know Waynette. Check with 23 and me to see why that happened. We have family lore that our GGGG grandmother was Cherokee, and parts of the family have a GG grandmother who we KNOW was Cherokee; however, none of our male cousins tested for the Indian gene. Of course, since the y-DNA follows the father's line, that can be explained, and there may be several explanations for this. It's possible that the European genes have diluted the Cherokee genes so much that it doesn't show up. I, also, read a study that tested a group of known Cherokees, and none had the normal Indian gene. The theory is that the Cherokees did not migrate to North America the way the other Indian groups did. They think they might have come from Scandinavia long before other Europeans came here, probably slowly coming south from Canada on the East Coast. These Scandinavians could have been intermarried with Native Americans who were already here. Supposedly, some of the original Cherokees had blue eyes and lighter hair, so that may explain it.

            This DNA stuff is interesting and has made great progress in the last few years. I expect we'll see more and more progress in the next few years. I'm trying to get everyone possible tested before we all die out. Unfortunately, so far, we haven't found a direct female descendent from our GGGG grandmother, the Cherokee, but we're still looking. I'm, also, looking for a direct male descendent of my GG grandfather, Akillis Stapp, who was in Jackson County (now Madison County) from about 1830ish to 1855-1856, but so far, all we've found are females who are still living.

            I'd love to find, Malinda, his wife's family too. We THINK her last name was possibly Carroll or Campbell, but that's a guess. If it was Carroll, then she may have had a brother, Logan Carroll, who was in Jackson County in 1850, but he seems to have disappeared after that. If anyone knows about these Stapps/Stepps/Steps or Carrolls or Campbells, I love to hear from you.

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Waynette Davis" <wmddavis@...> wrote:

            > I have done the 23and Me testing for dna and so far am pleased with it,
            > though in a learning curve to get more out of it.
            >
            > I did it for my brother and myself, having no living parents. It was nice
            > to have my native Indian confirmed and very interesting that
            >
            > It showed up on mine and not my brothers since the Cherokee (of which I am
            > personally positive) is from my father's side. Did my
            >
            > Brother get none of it?
            >
            > Waynette

          • Karl Plenge
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 16, 2013
              Another thought regarding this: "I'm trying to get everyone possible tested before we all die out."

              For those who can't afford the testing right now - it's going to continue to get cheaper and better. If there are people you're concerned about getting tested that you just can't get tested now and you're concerned they may be gone later, I don't know if they use cheek swabs or what for these tests, but if it is cheek swabs, I would think you could take some now and wrap them up good and freeze them and then test them in the future. Might also be worthwhile to save some of their hair. Anyone who is more knowledgeable, please chime in, I'm just throwing out ideas.

            • Waynette Davis
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 16, 2013
                Yes it is interesting. 23 and Me DNA shows me to be .2% Native American and
                my brother to be none. I am positive by all family accounts including a
                photo of me with my half Cherokee great grandmother in 1943 as well as other
                photos and stories about her. Her mother was full-Cherokee in Georgia and
                later in Arkansas and she had an American name "Martha Pledge" before she
                married my 2nd great grandfather. She also had other children before she
                married him but I don't have a husband as yet. She may have died in the
                childbirth of great grandmother, but that is unconfirmed. She was not
                buried in the Corinth cemetery near Pineville, Ark. with all the other
                'white people" but out in the woods near by. Waynette

              • Chris Roberts
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
                  HI Waynette, I would refer back to 23 and Me for an explanation, but from my limited knowledge, the results you and your brother received may not be unusual. Autosomal dna is somewhat like a roll of the dice. Each child receives roughly 50% of the dna from each parent. Neither you nor your brother would be expected to receive the exact same dna. Further, there is usually a small error rate of about 2%, which could account for a difference if the Native results are quite small. There is a lot of information out there to help with DNA results. Check out FTDNA. They have a nice online library and links to other helpful sites. You might also check out rootsweb’s DNA-Genealogy list. Although this list can be very technical, it does offer some great insight and is followed by a number of experts in the field.

                  As others have suggested, you might consider transferring your results to FTDNA. The have a huge data base and they do periodically offer deep discounts on their products.

                  Another excellent resource is www.isogg.org

                  Good luck on your search!

                  Christine

                • Jewel Casey
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
                    I'm sorry Karl, I have missed out on this Indian DNA testing and how it is being done. Would you please explain how to get in touch with the correct company who does the testing and maybe the cost to get it done. Thanks
                    Jewel
                    Another thought regarding this: "I'm trying to get everyone possible tested before we all die out."

                    For those who can't afford the testing right now - it's going to continue to get cheaper and better. If there are people you're concerned about getting tested that you just can't get tested now and you're concerned they may be gone later, I don't know if they use cheek swabs or what for these tests, but if it is cheek swabs, I would think you could take some now and wrap them up good and freeze them and then test them in the future. Might also be worthwhile to save some of their hair. Anyone who is more knowledgeable, please chime in, I'm just throwing out ideas.

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • waccess@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
                      Unfortunately, with genealogy DNA testing, we can't do that. We order and pay for the testing kits, which have the swabs in them. The relative swabs his/her cheek and sends the kit back. Then the company analyzes the swabs, and we get the results. In some cases, I've split the cost of the kits with other relatives who are interested too. That makes the tests reasonable. The last one we did on my mother's father's line, we split four ways, so that really brought the cost down.

                      I think I've heard or read that if you buy the correct kind of swabs, you can save the DNA for later analysis, but that was for medical or some other testing, not genealogy. Wish we could do it that way. I'd have everybody possible tested. :-)

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
                        Right, Christine, and I think that's all 23 and Me, ancestry.com, etc. does is autosomal testing; although I may be wrong. To follow direct paternal or maternal lines, we need to do y-DNA testing for paternal and mtDNA for the maternal line. These can be done through FTDNA, and there's probably others. Autosomal is a mish mash, but can be interesting, none the less.

                        By the way, if anyone decides to do the direct line testing, do NOT do the 12-marker y-DNA or lowest level mtDNA tests. They won't give you the information or defined results that you want.

                      • waccess@bellsouth.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
                          It's actually not Indian DNA testing, Jewel. It's genealogy DNA testing, and there is a specific category that indicates Indian (Native American) heritage. If I remember right, if a male has the Indian gene, his classification will start with "Q." Then there are letters and numbers that follow that "Q" to further define the heritage. I can't remember the category for females.

                          In my opinion, Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) has the best testing. It has the largest DNA database, which means you'll have more information from matches to you. Its customer service is good about helping you choose the right test kit for your needs. They, also, will help answer questions afterwards, and they have a LOT of online information, such as tutorials, to help.

                          Cost depends on what you are trying to do. Right now, until the end of July, FTDNA has a sale. Google FTDNA, and go to the website. That'll have the cost of each test listed.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
                            Can one simply have their DNA results transferred to Ancestry? Or would one
                            have to retake their DNA test?

                            Thank you for your thoughtful information. Waynette

                          • Karl Plenge
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
                              I wasn't the one who posted about the Indian DNA, maybe whomever did will see this message and respond.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 17, 2013
                                Waynette and all. It is possible to transfer 23 and Me results to FTDNA without retesting. There is a fee involved, but it is less than the test amount. I would refer anyone interested in this feature to the FTDNA FAQ and look for the “transferring 3rd party results sections”. The link for FTDNA is familytreedna.com.

                                Can one simply have their DNA results transferred to Ancestry? Or would one
                                have to retake their DNA test?

                                Thank you for your thoughtful information. Waynette

                              • tongtiedtwisted
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 18, 2013
                                  Hi all,

                                  Don't forget you can download the raw data from your testing company (FTDNA, Ancestry, 23and me etc) and then upload on gedmatch.com. This way you can compare against others using different tests.

                                  It is a free site and has some nice comparison tools.

                                  Best,
                                  Pam Cain

                                  Hamilton, Green/e, Russel/l

                                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Roberts" <cmroberts03@...> wrote:

                                  > Waynette and all. It is possible to transfer 23 and Me results to FTDNA without retesting. There is a fee involved, but it is less than the test amount. I would refer anyone interested in this feature to the FTDNA FAQ and look for the “transferring 3rd party results sections”. The link for FTDNA is familytreedna.com.

                                • gary_bsanders
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 18, 2013
                                    FTDNA also has a free search site called Ysearch.org where one can input the Y-DNA data from other companies, then run comparisons to find matches. The database is public, and you can even search for matches among the participants though you do not have an account yourself. You can also create as many user accounts as you like, so long as you have data to enter for each one.

                                    I concur with the previous suggestions that one needs to investigate DNA testing thoroughly before signing up for tests that may be expensive and/or useless for your purpose. At a minimum one should know something about the purpose of Y-DNA, MTDNA, and autosomal testing.

                                    My experience is that Y-DNA testing is the only testing that has much genealogical utility because it is the only type of DNA testing that is substantially related to surnames. In my research, Y-DNA testing has shown that I am not related to some lines that previous researchers assumed were in my family tree, and it has also proven relationships that had been unknown before the test. Further, it helps to determine where you should not expend any research effort--for example, in researching a family with the same surname as the the one you are researching but revealed as unrelated to you by the test.

                                    Unfortunately, many people have a DNA test done, but they do not follow up with any research. Having the test done is just the beginning. Often, it is necessary to then exchange information with other researchers and compare notes in order to establish a paper or documentary connection.
                                    --Gary