Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: GEORGE WASHINGTON HIGGINS who married Nancy Smith in 1814

  • Paula Tarrant
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2013
      Hello.
      Thank you for the information in regards to obtaining the obituary of
      George W. and Nancy Higgins. I will definitely look into that, although I
      fear it will be a sad story.
      I'm descended from George W. Higgins and his wife, Nancy. Their son,
      William J., was my great-great grandfather.
      William J. Higgins: born 5/21/1828 Jackson County, Alabama
      died 6/29/1894 Jackson County,
      Alabama
      William J. Higgins moved to Montgomery County, Mississippi in the
      1850's. He married Frances (Fannie) Estis (born 9/25/1837, Carroll County,
      MS) in 1856. She was the daughter of William J. Estis and Sarah Ann
      Redditt. They had 6 children: George, Robert W., Margaret S. (my
      great-grandmother), Mabel, and John Y.
      Around 1868, William returned to Jackson County with his family, living
      in the Big Coon area, according to the 1870 census. Fannie Estis Higgins
      died 10/25/1879, and William J. Higgins died 6/29/1894. Both are buried in
      Robertson Cemetery near Scottsboro.
      Sincerely, Paula Tarrant

    • Charles McCutchen
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2013
         Paula,

        Did William J. Higgins have a son named Henry Clay "Harry" Higgins?  If so he married Lou Cotton who was the sister of my great grandmother Mollie Cotton and I have a few pictures of the Higgins children from the early 1900s.    The early McCutchens that Mary Eleanor Higgins married into are buried at Robertson too.

        Charlie McCutchen

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
          Hi Charles.
          Yes, William J. Higgins did have a son named Henry, born in Mississippi
          around 1857.
          Other children were:
          George born in Mississippi 1859
          Margaret S. (my great-grandmother) born in Mississippi 1865 died
          in 1957
          Robert W. born in Alabama 1868
          Mabel born in Alabama 1872
          John Y. born in Alabama 1875
          The 1870 census shows them living in the Big Coon / Fackler Station
          area, very close to William's older sister Margaret Higgins (b.1817 in
          Tennessee), who married Charles Lewis Roach.
          ~~ Paula