Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: GEORGE WASHINGTON HIGGINS who married Nancy Smith in 1814

  • Charles McCutchen
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28, 2013
       There appears to be a obit for G.W. Higgins.

      Name:Gen. George W. Higgins
      Death Date:Abt 1835
      Publication Title:The Democrat
      Publication or Record Date:30 Sep 1835
      Publication or Record Place:Alabama, United States
      URL:http://obits.hmcpl.org/index/g...%c2%a0

      It appears you can order it for $5 but you might be able to find it at the Huntsville library.

      http://obits.hmcpl.org/index/gen-george-w-higgins-1835

      Charlie McCutchen

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1 8:37 AM
        Hello.
        Thank you for the information in regards to obtaining the obituary of
        George W. and Nancy Higgins. I will definitely look into that, although I
        fear it will be a sad story.
        I'm descended from George W. Higgins and his wife, Nancy. Their son,
        William J., was my great-great grandfather.
        William J. Higgins: born 5/21/1828 Jackson County, Alabama
        died 6/29/1894 Jackson County,
        Alabama
        William J. Higgins moved to Montgomery County, Mississippi in the
        1850's. He married Frances (Fannie) Estis (born 9/25/1837, Carroll County,
        MS) in 1856. She was the daughter of William J. Estis and Sarah Ann
        Redditt. They had 6 children: George, Robert W., Margaret S. (my
        great-grandmother), Mabel, and John Y.
        Around 1868, William returned to Jackson County with his family, living
        in the Big Coon area, according to the 1870 census. Fannie Estis Higgins
        died 10/25/1879, and William J. Higgins died 6/29/1894. Both are buried in
        Robertson Cemetery near Scottsboro.
        Sincerely, Paula Tarrant

      • Charles McCutchen
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1 1:24 PM
           Paula,

          Did William J. Higgins have a son named Henry Clay "Harry" Higgins?  If so he married Lou Cotton who was the sister of my great grandmother Mollie Cotton and I have a few pictures of the Higgins children from the early 1900s.    The early McCutchens that Mary Eleanor Higgins married into are buried at Robertson too.

          Charlie McCutchen

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2 6:50 AM
            Hi Charles.
            Yes, William J. Higgins did have a son named Henry, born in Mississippi
            around 1857.
            Other children were:
            George born in Mississippi 1859
            Margaret S. (my great-grandmother) born in Mississippi 1865 died
            in 1957
            Robert W. born in Alabama 1868
            Mabel born in Alabama 1872
            John Y. born in Alabama 1875
            The 1870 census shows them living in the Big Coon / Fackler Station
            area, very close to William's older sister Margaret Higgins (b.1817 in
            Tennessee), who married Charles Lewis Roach.
            ~~ Paula