Re: GEORGE WASHINGTON HIGGINS who married Nancy Smith in 1814

  • chamac45
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 24, 2013
      Ann this is a old post but I stumbled across it. The 2nd Wife of William Walker McCutchen Jr. was a Mary Eleanor Higgins. They married 20 June 1837 in Guntersville. I believe she is buried there with him at McCamy Cemetery. This sounds like the oldest of you missing children. We were connected to the Larkins too.

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

      > Is anyone researching the family of George Washington Higgins, Sr. who married Nancy Smith in 1814. In the early 1820s, they were co-founders of Bellefonte along with Stephen and Sarah (Lewis) Carter? George Washington Higgins, Sr. was born April 1785 and died in September 1835. Nancy (Smith) Higgins was born July 23, 1784, and died Sptember 1835. Both are said to have died in Morgan Co, AL.
      > Their children were:
      > 1. Mary Eleanor Higgins, born Feb 19, 1815
      > 2. Margaret Higgins, born Aug 1816
      > 3. Joseph W. Higgins, born March 25, 1818
      > 4. George W. Higgins, Jr., born Mar 23, 1820
      > 5. James W. Higgins, born Nov 19, 1822
      > 6. Henry L. Higgins born Sep 3, 1824
      > 7. Nancy Ramey Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
      > 8. Robert W. Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
      > 9. William Joseph Higgins, born May 21, 1828
      > 10. John Young Higgins, born Jan 3, 1830
      > 11. Silas Parsons Higgins, born Dec 30, 1831
      > 12. Frances Elizabeth Higgins, born Dec 28, 1833
      >
      > As you can see, most of the children were minors at the time of their parents' death in 1835. What happened to these children after the death of their parents? WHERE WERE THEY in 1840???
      > In 1850, I found John Y. Higgins (born 1830) in Madison Co, AL, enumerated as a store clerk. Nancy Higgins (born 1826) was living with Jacob Tipton and Louisiana (Taul) Bradford in Talladega Co, AL, in 1850. William Jospeh Higgins (born 1828) was living with David Larkin and was enumerated as a school teacher in 1850 census. Silas Parsons Higgins (born 1831) was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy according to the 1850 Orange Co, NY census.
      > IF YOU know anything about any of these children, please share with me.
      > Ann B. Chambless

    • Roger Burbank
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 24, 2013
        Hi Ann.  Roger out in Oregon.  I have William Walker Jr's probate records.  I will look.  I know the Tipton name also connecting to Williams and Mccutchen.  Roger

        ________________________________
        I mistakenly listed Mary Eleanor Higgins as the 2nd wife. She was the first wife of Wm. Walker McCutchen Jr. Also I believe there are extra people in the 1840 Census in their household. These extra people could be some of Mary Eleanor Higgins siblings. The census lists 6 people under 20 and by then they only had 1 or 2 children.

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone researching the family of George Washington Higgins, Sr. who married Nancy Smith in 1814. In the early 1820s, they were co-founders of Bellefonte along with Stephen and Sarah (Lewis) Carter? George Washington Higgins, Sr. was born April 1785 and died in September 1835. Nancy (Smith) Higgins was born July 23, 1784, and died Sptember 1835. Both are said to have died in Morgan Co, AL.
        > Their children were:
        > 1. Mary Eleanor Higgins, born Feb 19, 1815
        > 2. Margaret Higgins, born Aug 1816
        > 3. Joseph W. Higgins, born March 25, 1818
        > 4. George W. Higgins, Jr., born Mar 23, 1820
        > 5. James W. Higgins, born Nov 19, 1822
        > 6. Henry L. Higgins born Sep 3, 1824
        > 7. Nancy Ramey Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
        > 8. Robert W. Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
        > 9. William Joseph Higgins, born May 21, 1828
        > 10. John Young Higgins, born Jan 3, 1830
        > 11. Silas Parsons Higgins, born Dec 30, 1831
        > 12. Frances Elizabeth Higgins, born Dec 28, 1833
        >
        > As you can see, most of the children were minors at the time of their parents' death in 1835. What happened to these children after the death of their parents? WHERE WERE THEY in 1840???
        > In 1850, I found John Y. Higgins (born 1830) in Madison Co, AL, enumerated as a store clerk. Nancy Higgins (born 1826) was living with Jacob Tipton and Louisiana (Taul) Bradford in Talladega Co, AL, in 1850. William Jospeh Higgins (born 1828) was living with David Larkin and was enumerated as a school teacher in 1850 census. Silas Parsons Higgins (born 1831) was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy according to the 1850 Orange Co, NY census.
        > IF YOU know anything about any of these children, please share with me.
        > Ann B. Chambless

      • Roger Burbank
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 24, 2013
          Well I read the whole post lol guess you don't need anything on the Mcc.

          ________________________________
          I mistakenly listed Mary Eleanor Higgins as the 2nd wife. She was the first wife of Wm. Walker McCutchen Jr. Also I believe there are extra people in the 1840 Census in their household. These extra people could be some of Mary Eleanor Higgins siblings. The census lists 6 people under 20 and by then they only had 1 or 2 children.

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

          > Is anyone researching the family of George Washington Higgins, Sr. who married Nancy Smith in 1814. In the early 1820s, they were co-founders of Bellefonte along with Stephen and Sarah (Lewis) Carter? George Washington Higgins, Sr. was born April 1785 and died in September 1835. Nancy (Smith) Higgins was born July 23, 1784, and died Sptember 1835. Both are said to have died in Morgan Co, AL.
          > Their children were:
          > 1. Mary Eleanor Higgins, born Feb 19, 1815
          > 2. Margaret Higgins, born Aug 1816
          > 3. Joseph W. Higgins, born March 25, 1818
          > 4. George W. Higgins, Jr., born Mar 23, 1820
          > 5. James W. Higgins, born Nov 19, 1822
          > 6. Henry L. Higgins born Sep 3, 1824
          > 7. Nancy Ramey Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
          > 8. Robert W. Higgins (twin), born May 13, 1826
          > 9. William Joseph Higgins, born May 21, 1828
          > 10. John Young Higgins, born Jan 3, 1830
          > 11. Silas Parsons Higgins, born Dec 30, 1831
          > 12. Frances Elizabeth Higgins, born Dec 28, 1833
          >
          > As you can see, most of the children were minors at the time of their parents' death in 1835. What happened to these children after the death of their parents? WHERE WERE THEY in 1840???
          > In 1850, I found John Y. Higgins (born 1830) in Madison Co, AL, enumerated as a store clerk. Nancy Higgins (born 1826) was living with Jacob Tipton and Louisiana (Taul) Bradford in Talladega Co, AL, in 1850. William Jospeh Higgins (born 1828) was living with David Larkin and was enumerated as a school teacher in 1850 census. Silas Parsons Higgins (born 1831) was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy according to the 1850 Orange Co, NY census.
          > IF YOU know anything about any of these children, please share with me.
          > Ann B. Chambless

        • David Malbuff
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2013
             Frances Elizabeth Higgins is my great-great-aunt; she married William Rutledge Larkin, eldest son of David Larkin.

            I would expect most of these children were taken in by family after 1835; unfortunately the 1840 census only enumerated children. By 1850 most would have been grown.

            I'll see if I can find "Lizzie", or "Granny Larkin" as our family knew her, in 1850 when she was 17.  Her brother William, as Ms Chambless mentions, was a live-in tutor for the Larkin children.

            It appears both G W Higgins and wife died at the same time. It would be most interesting to know what happened.

            Glory to God,

            David Malbuff
            Strasburg, Virginia

          • Charles McCutchen
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 28, 2013
               There appears to be a obit for G.W. Higgins.

              Name:Gen. George W. Higgins
              Death Date:Abt 1835
              Publication Title:The Democrat
              Publication or Record Date:30 Sep 1835
              Publication or Record Place:Alabama, United States
              URL:http://obits.hmcpl.org/index/g...%c2%a0

              It appears you can order it for $5 but you might be able to find it at the Huntsville library.

              http://obits.hmcpl.org/index/gen-george-w-higgins-1835

              Charlie McCutchen

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2013
                Hello.
                Thank you for the information in regards to obtaining the obituary of
                George W. and Nancy Higgins. I will definitely look into that, although I
                fear it will be a sad story.
                I'm descended from George W. Higgins and his wife, Nancy. Their son,
                William J., was my great-great grandfather.
                William J. Higgins: born 5/21/1828 Jackson County, Alabama
                died 6/29/1894 Jackson County,
                Alabama
                William J. Higgins moved to Montgomery County, Mississippi in the
                1850's. He married Frances (Fannie) Estis (born 9/25/1837, Carroll County,
                MS) in 1856. She was the daughter of William J. Estis and Sarah Ann
                Redditt. They had 6 children: George, Robert W., Margaret S. (my
                great-grandmother), Mabel, and John Y.
                Around 1868, William returned to Jackson County with his family, living
                in the Big Coon area, according to the 1870 census. Fannie Estis Higgins
                died 10/25/1879, and William J. Higgins died 6/29/1894. Both are buried in
                Robertson Cemetery near Scottsboro.
                Sincerely, Paula Tarrant

              • Charles McCutchen
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2013
                   Paula,

                  Did William J. Higgins have a son named Henry Clay "Harry" Higgins?  If so he married Lou Cotton who was the sister of my great grandmother Mollie Cotton and I have a few pictures of the Higgins children from the early 1900s.    The early McCutchens that Mary Eleanor Higgins married into are buried at Robertson too.

                  Charlie McCutchen

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Hi Charles.
                    Yes, William J. Higgins did have a son named Henry, born in Mississippi
                    around 1857.
                    Other children were:
                    George born in Mississippi 1859
                    Margaret S. (my great-grandmother) born in Mississippi 1865 died
                    in 1957
                    Robert W. born in Alabama 1868
                    Mabel born in Alabama 1872
                    John Y. born in Alabama 1875
                    The 1870 census shows them living in the Big Coon / Fackler Station
                    area, very close to William's older sister Margaret Higgins (b.1817 in
                    Tennessee), who married Charles Lewis Roach.
                    ~~ Paula